Yucky windshield adhesive-gctid385451

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yucky windshield adhesive-gctid385451

The adhesive used on the inside of the windshields and sliding doors on my 2000 4788 is very sticky and very yucky. Bugs collect on it like flypaper and it is most disgusting. We have yet to find any method or solvent that works to remove it. I am assuming others must have similar adhesive and issues. Any suggestions on how to remove the excessive adhesive around the inside of the windshield? Thanks. Will

Have you visited an auto glass shop?

Comment

Thanks, Blake. Good idea. I talked with the PO who owned a auto glass company, and he suggested cutting the excess off with a razor blade. We haven't had much success with that. The adhesive is very gooey and sticky and didn't cut well. It is also very difficult to reach along the bottom of the windshield over the dash. I'll talk to some of the other glass shops and see if they don't have an idea and a solution. I was hoping someone else has had to deal with this and had some suggestions and a solution. Will

Comment

Spray it with can of Dust Off, which is basically freon. It will make it hard, then you can trim it with single edged razor blades, and then wipe clean with Acetone.

I've only seen that problems in super hot areas, where people used the black factory original window covers. It get's so hot, it melts the adhesive. I always change out the black for white covers. Problem solved.

Comment

The stuff you are fighting is a buytl rope - and suggestion to get it cold and trim is best bet for first step.Next step would be (and this is going to be messy) to get some winshield urethane and seal over the edge of the Buytl.Mask before you get startedMake sure the urethane is warm (it comes out of tube much easier)Wear GlovesChange gloves frequently
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your comments and suggestions and will give them a try. Will

Comment

Working...
            X