new member - 34xx - needs performance comparisons-gctid385053

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new member - 34xx - needs performance comparisons-gctid385053

hello we have purchased a 3488 last october in seattle and just ran it up to bella coola , was a good run when the weather let us go and was inpressed with the handling of the boat in different sea conditions with a shallow draft and farly tall boat all things good so far .After reading some discussions on some fourums after the purchase i was pretty nervous of what we got into .if you don't mind me asking you a couple of questions about yours like what speed do you travel at for your best fuel economy, also do you run on both engines all the time or on one, we tried running on one engine after talking to another couple and found we could do 7 knts at 200 rpm more on one engine ,I kept track of some speeds and rpms if you don't mind comparing ,I'm wondering if my props have been changed but have not compared this boat to any other 3488, this is some ,two 250 cummings running @ 2400rpm at 11.5 knts / 2000 rpm at 8.7knts / 1600 rpm at 7.8 knts calm conditions, faily heavy loaded the day before was a med. headwind 2 to 3 ft seas ,going with the tide 2400 rpm at 10.3 knts 1600 rpm at 7 knts 1000 rpm at 4.3 knts then tried with one engine at 1900 rpm at 6.8 knts 2400 rpm seems to run around 10.3 to 12.1 knts in different conditons , apprecate your time ,I've never asked a question on a forum before life is full of firsts isn't it thanks , boat name is IT'S ABOUT TIME

"We don't know what engine the OP has"

... a 1989 32 with 135 hp Hino turbo diesels.

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

2400rpm and only 11kn seems to be way slow for that boat and if my reading comprehension is failing me and you are doing this on one engine then you are overloading it quite a bit.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I had a 3488 Avanti, but it had 315 Cummins engines.

2600 RPM, was right at 25-27 knots if my memory serves me correctly. That was back in the day when Cummins was recommending -200 RPM cruise from the 2800 RPM WOT.

From your readings your boat is not getting up on plane.

Are you using your trim tabs? You really need them with that hull.

You're going to want to run that hull at either

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I had a 1996 3488 Avanti, but it had 315 Cummins engines. Are we talking about the same boat model? Foward double offset to Starboard, head with shower, mid berth, Salon with lower helm seat that folds down, etc?

2600 RPM, was right at 25-27 knots if my memory serves me correctly. That was back in the day when Cummins was recommending -200 RPM cruise from the 2800 RPM WOT.

From your readings your boat is not getting up on plane.

Are you using your trim tabs? You really need them with that hull.

You're going to want to run that hull at either

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

Bayliner documentation shows WOT for that setup at 22 Knots. Are your bottom and running gear clean?

Tom

Comment

TerribleTom4085 wrote:
              Bayliner documentation shows WOT for that setup at 22 Knots. Are your bottom and running gear clean?

Tom
              hello i will add few more. The boat is running two motors and has 3/4 tanks of fuel about 150 gal,water tank about 1/4 full so 20 gal,three people on board ,10 ft tender on the back platform and the interesting thing about the rpm i was thinking last night and forgot to mention is at 3000 rpm it doe's 19 to 20 knts here are the others ,two engines running 3000 rpm 19 to 20 knts 2400 rpm 10.3 to 12knts 2000 rpm 8.7 knts 1600 rpm 7 to 7.8 knts 1000 rpm 4.3 knts . Now if i shut one motor down and run it at 1900 rpm it travels at 6.8 knts

Comment

You're saying you can make 3000 RPM on each engine with 250 Cummins engines, thats fantastic!

At least you know your boat is not overpropped!

Perhaps you are underpropped a tad???

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

I have the 3416 twin Hinos 220 turbo. Sport fisher. What boat do you have? Iam in Seward.

Comment

There is a 3488 built on the Avanti platform (95-99, I think), and, 3488 built in the "Meridian" style. The later 3488 (2001-2002, I believe) never had the 6 cylinder Cummins to my knowledge. (I used to have the 3258 which was the 3488 shortened by two feet with twin 454 Bravi III outdrives. 40 knots and 60 gph!)

I now have a 2001 3488 with the twin 250's (4BTA).

WOT is 3000 RPM, right on the money. That usually gets me around 20.5 knots in calm water. I've extended my trim tabs which helps keep the stern up and bow down - this model is stern heavy. Bottom and running gear are clean.

At 2400 RPM I might see 12 knots. The handling and attitude is poor at 2300-2400 so I just don't do it. I prefer to run the engines a bit harder and tend to cruise right around 2600-2650 and see about 15 knots. 2700 rpm is generally 16 knots.

These are averages, but hold pretty well.

Comment

John Kito wrote:
                      I have the 3416 twin Hinos 220 turbo. Sport fisher. What boat do you have? Iam in Seward.
                      Hi John

I think you're asking me this, since I'm in Seward.

We have a 4788, Lisas Way. We're over on F float right now, but will be moving to E float for the rest of the season next week.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                        You're saying you can make 3000 RPM on each engine with 250 Cummins engines, thats fantastic!

At least you know your boat is not overpropped!

Perhaps you are underpropped a tad???
                        yes it does get to 3000 rpm it takes a few more seconds right at the top end and holds it ,we were told by the mecanic we hired for our sea trial to only run the engines hard [3000 rpm] for 6 min max for every hour of running time for cooling reasons have anyone else heard of this ,not that we could afford to run them that high anyway,seems like 7 to 8 knts @1600 with two motors running or 1900 on one motor @6.8 knts is more reasonable thanks for the feed back vic

Comment

Working...
                        X