Tranny fluid changes-gctid707861

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny fluid changes-gctid707861

What kind of pump are you all using to change fluid in your trannys? I have a three valve reverso for engine and generator. I was originally thinking of connecting a hose into the gen set circuit with a couple of valves. Now not so sure I want to deal with cross contamination kinds of problems. Thinking simple is better. Something like the Mity Vac maybe?
    2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
    12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
    MV Kia Orana
    Currently Alameda CA

A Jabsco 3.5 gal capacity pump has been working out great. It has a reversible pump, so pumping into the recyclable receptacle is a breeze. Look on Amazon for a new one. I got one that was only used a few times on CL.

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Steve, you could get one of the 5 manifold Reverso pumps and you'd be all set!! :whistle: Seriously one of those small hand cylinder pumps is just the ticket. It's only a few qts and it'll be out jack flash. IMHO, no need to over complicate/engineer things. Like yours, my centre valve is plumbed for the gennie. I guess a separate dedicated long hose could be rigged up, but a small hand pump would be easier, simpler and cheaper!

Cheers
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

For most any fluids I use a jabsco vane puppy but add a different hose extension for the trans fluid.

A small diameter plastic ice maker line about 2' long attached to the suction hose will allow you to reach the bottom of the trans and get all the fluid out.

The plastic line is sent down in the center where the trans fluid filter housing is (after removing the filter) and will reach the bottom of the trans case.

I did cut a slight "V" in the bottom of the tube since if it hits the bottom squarely it will not suck anything up - lift slightly to remove the first 90% then the "V" will allow the rest to come out.

On the 800 series trans with the typical trans coolers you will get between 5.5 - 5.75 qts per trans out.

Hope this helps
        Northport NY

Comment

I do the same thing Smitty suggested, but with a built-in gear pump. Here is a post on my boat's setup:

http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....llation#605069
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
          X