Westerbeke 8KW in 38XX-gctid383969

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westerbeke 8KW in 38XX-gctid383969

Wow, Finally got the westy working again. Had 300, 200 and 150 compression, read not enough compression to even cook off starting fluid. Removed the cylinder head and had some slight leakage of penetrating oil in cylinders two and three. Jacked up the generator and rolled it on it's side then removed the pan, pulling the pistons. Piston one had one stuck compression ring, cylinders two and three had two stuck rings. They had to be hammered free using a very narrow screwdriver and a plastic hammer. Came out in several parts.

Valves were able to be lapped to a good fit and the genny was reassembled by my mechanic since I'm much better at taking things apart than the reverse and if something isn't right, I would rather not have to fix it myself. Popped right off first crank!! There is a God!

My mechanic's advise was to use it often and under heavy load so the rings don't bind up again. Just running it isn't enough to get the cylinder temps up to where they should be especially on break in.

I hated using it because of the noise and just being that much closer to some other genny problem. Mechanic says I won't live long enough to wear it out. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Parts (gaskets, rings and rod bearings) $1500, labor $1000. Westerbeke should be ashamed of what they get for parts, kubota as well. Pan gasket was over 100 bucks alone. Shame on them.

Moral of the story, use it or lose it.

I put a water seperator for the exhause and I did a built at home sound shield and it made the 8K nice and quite. Angkle alum and galv sheet metal are not that expensive. I think the most expensive was the wZuse fasteners. Worth a look.

Comment

Thanks, I have thought about that. I was wondering if it made a big difference, sounds like it. I did a home made sound shield by screwing two angle aluminum hoops front and rear on the inside of the stringers on each side of the gen and then over the top of the gen, then riviting angle links on the upper corners front and rear. Then I took some plywood to cover the outside, use qurarter inch bolts through the hoop with wing nuts to attach to the frame. Took soundproofing and glued on the inside of those plywood panels. On each side, I hinged the side cover to the top of the stringer and bolt and wing nut to the top angle to secure and to provide convenient access. Over the top, I just covered it with soundproofing with a center brace but I probably should put some kind of solid material there.

Comment

Our old 38 had an Onan gen set. It had a sound shield and was still too loud for our use. I talked to Onan about it and they said Bayliner did not install the gen sets properly. The muffler should be installed right where the exhaust goes through the transom not where it is installed just behind the gen set. After the muffler, then the exhaust rose up to almost the transom top across the boat to the port side transom, then down to the exhaust port thru hull-to prevent wave water entry I assume. He recommend a second muffler at the thru hull. Boy did that make a difference. Installed it as close to the thru hull as possible. Left the old exhaust hose and muffler in place. Onan rep said to test gen set at max load. If it did not smoke then the back pressure from the two mufflers was OK. Bottom line is that shield is not the total solution.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

So how do you run your gen at full load? I don't have anything on my boat (3870) that puts much of a load on the gen. Nothing but lights and battery charger.

Comment

belandd wrote:
            So how do you run your gen at full load? I don't have anything on my boat (3870) that puts much of a load on the gen. Nothing but lights and battery charger.
            Electric heaters, hot water tank, microwave, etc.
            Started boating 1965
            Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

The "book" on that generator should state that a 25% load should be applied to the generator, when started, to bring the engine up to operating temperature quickly (or even at all). I usually load it with airconditioning.

Comment

I apologize for hijacking this thread but....

I recently pulled my 8KW Westie off my 96 3988. Amazing how much room I have now!

I rarely used it, it was impossible to service....now I am getting ready to sell it. I would appreciate any input as to what it would be worth. Runs great, low hours, muffler included, would be willing to put on test cell to demonstrate. Also includes sound shield which needs some work but does its job well. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X