Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop Question for 32xx with gas engines-gctid383774

Need help!

I am the new owner of a 1982 3270. I just got the engines running good but now need your help with the right prop setup. The boat has 4cyl gas engines, volvo penta AQ140's, turning 140 hp each. The transmissons are 2-1 gear ratio because the boat originally had diesel engines in it. I sea trialed the boat and only got 6-7 knots at about 2300 rpm. The tranny's start to slip if I try and push it past 2300 rpm and I dont get any more speed. The current props are 15 x 6. If I went to a 16 x 16 or a 17 x 17 prop would I get more speed out of the 2300 rpm? Does a 17" prop fit in the prop pocket of the 3270. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

Thanks!

Mike

If the trans are slipping you will have to repair them before you do anything with your props.
    Capt. Ron.
    "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
    "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
    1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
    Hino EH700
    Westerbeke 8.0
    1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
    on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

The mechanic told me that the trans were dseigned to go 2000-2300 rpm for the original diesel engines. I dont want to replace the transmissions because of the expense associated. Any ideas?

Comment

capt. ron wrote:
        If the trans are slipping you will have to repair them before you do anything with your props.
        would these props fit?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Federal-17-X...eb5f22&vxp=mtr

Comment

I would get another mechanic. The hinos in 32xx went to 3000 rpm at wot. The 140 hp. volvos i'am sure turn faster but the hp is near the same & that is the important part. You can't mate a 200 hp engine to a trans designed for 100 hp, it would lead to premature destruction of the trans.
          Capt. Ron.
          "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
          "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
          1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
          Hino EH700
          Westerbeke 8.0
          1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
          on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

My mechanic said that I could change the transmissions to match the engines but it would be cost prohibitive to do so. I purchased a set of 17 x 16 props to see if it helps. I plan on installing them tomorrow and taking for a sea trial to see what happens. I'll post what the outcome is. Thanks everyone for your advice.Mike

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/688548=28334-boat 82 bayliner.jpg[/img]

Comment

The sea trial went great. I had the props installed and I set out in calm conditions on mission bay in san diego. I had full tanks and 12 people on board. I was able to get it up to 10 knots at 2200-2300 rpm. The props made a huge difference. It went from 6-7 knots at 2500 rpm to 10 knots at 2200 rpm. Very happy wit hthe results. Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X