Swim platform angle braces-gctid383606

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swim platform angle braces-gctid383606

Had the boat out of the water to clean the bottom two days ago. I noticed that the pipe type angle braces under the swim platform are in need of replacement. Does anyone know where I can get three of them?

It appears a though the braces are being attacked by electrolisis. It seems they need zincs. Anyone else have this problem?

The braces would be for a 1993 32ft. motoryacht.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

I had the same thing happen to mine. Last year during haul out I replaced them with new ones I made up. All you need is a drill and a vice. I think the cost was about $20 for all three. Just buy some stainless tubing (for boat rails), measure originals, Flatten both ends, drill, Then bend with the vice to match the angle and fasten to the transom and swim grid. Use caulking with the fasteners. It is handy to have a vice you can take to the boat because it is a bit of trial and error. I think I have some pictures but my sketches are probably on the boat.
    George
    "Delphin"
    '89 3270, 135 HP Hinos
    Victoria, BC
    Member:
    Capital City Yacht Club
    Oak Bay Power & Sail Squadron

Comment

Shar-n-dan wrote:
      Had the boat out of the water to clean the bottom two days ago. I noticed that the pipe type angle braces under the swim platform are in need of replacement. Does anyone know where I can get three of them?

It appears a though the braces are being attacked by electrolisis. It seems they need zincs. Anyone else have this problem?

The braces would be for a 1993 32ft. motoryacht.

Thanks for the help.

Dan
      On our 38 I replaced them all and added two more since I was carrying an 11 foot Whaler with 25 HP engine on the swim step horizontally. I got by with simple. I just took some stainless rail material and smashed flat the last two inches on either end and through bolted them to the transom and swim step-two quarter inch bolts on each end. I did tie the inside of one transom bolt on each one to the bonding system. I also used that opportunity to raise the swim step to an inch below the transom door. That was a real job as the bolts that hold the front of the swim step to the transom had fiberglass resin all over them. I think all but one nut/bolt broke right at the bolt/nut interface. I patched the old transom holes with new 1/2 inch stainless bolts and lots of 3M5200. I never had an issue nor did the owner after me, a good friend.
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Rail makers NW in Everett will cut and drill to your specs. I just had two done for $40.
        Sean
        1987 3870
        Crimson Pride II
        Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
        MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Sunnydude wrote:
          Rail makers NW in Everett will cut and drill to your specs. I just had two done for $40.
          Mark does great work. He has made several custom pieces for me

Comment

make sure you buy 3/16 S.S. fastners, they will last a lot longer
            www.boatyardgm.com
            www.pacificyachtimports.net
            2002 Carver Voyager 57
            "Making Waves"
            3988 250 Hinos
            "The Dark Side"
            Alameda, California

Comment

I used stainless steel tube from West Marine, and added two more of them, not for the dinghy reason but you can end up with several people w/drinks standing on your platform and you'll be ready for it.

Jim

Comment

First thing is thanks for the tips and advice.

I was pretty sure I'd be able to fabricate the braces,but hoped I could get them from a supplier, then I could install them without pulling the boat out of the water or going back on the grid. Wasn't sure where to get the tubing but West Marine will be good.

On a slightly different note. Does anyone get as worrisd as I do when under certain conditions, like when drift fishing, waves slap up under the swim step and it sounds like step is being ripped off the boat. That has to be real hard on the brace connections. Changing the boat position is about the only option.

Thanks again with the help.

Dan

Comment

I replaced my braces last year. This year I replaced the brackets on the transom that hold the braces. Got them at Boater's discount in LaConner. 12$ each. There is no zinc attachment for the outer braces so I added a zinc directly to each. The center ons is tied into the bonding system with a through bolt through the transom and then attached to the bonding system. Be sure to check the connector. Mine was bad, thus the electrolysis.

Jim
                  1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

On '38 the braces are zinced, and attached to the bonding system. No problem with electrolisis on the braces, but the zincs get eaten up because the docks where I'm at are pretty hot. The zincs seem like a small investment. I did have a '28 w/o zincs, and they got eaten up and eventually collasped.

Comment

I used SS tube and rail fittigs for brackets, just be sure to place a SS washer inside of the rail fitting prior to placing the tube in.

Lock tight the allen screws and bond or zinc the rails.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                        I used SS tube and rail fittigs for brackets, just be sure to place a SS washer inside of the rail fitting prior to placing the tube in.

Lock tight the allen screws and bond or zinc the rails.

Stainless steel washer?? That is new to me. Help. Thanks
                        Started boating 1965
                        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Working...
                        X