Hino doesn(39)t want to shut down-gctid383500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hino doesn(39)t want to shut down-gctid383500

Went to shut down the deisels in my 3818 and port side did not want to shut down. When I pushed the kill switch it would drag it down but not shut all the way down. Finally after many attempts it stopped. It would start no problem and shut back down but it would take a little while to stop. Any suggestions?

stuck starting solenoid

Comment

The solenoid is pretty trouble free. Possibly dirty contacts in the shutoff button and/or the linkage on the engine activating the fuel shutoff needs lubrication.

Good Luck
      Richard
      1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

It's happened to me - the adjustment on the shutoff solinoid linkage is loose. First identify the solinoid - it's on the rear starbord side of the hino. lookse like a little spring activated gizmo (like something attached to a carb of a car) push it in by hand or pull back (I forget) but the engine will shut down when you do. Adjust the nut on the end until it shuts off with the kill button at the dash. 5 minutes with help from a mate.

Comment

Simple things first. Take the rubber boot off the shut off switch and spray WD40 in it and work the switch a few times.

Batteries low will cause this also.

Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
            Simple things first. Take the rubber boot off the shut off switch and spray WD40 in it and work the switch a few times.

Batteries low will cause this also.

Doug
            I am a firm believer in the KISS method.. usually its something simple under our noses..

K- keep

I- it

S-simple

S-stupid

mom taught me that umm eons ago and it works for me..

Comment

Will give it a try in the next day or so and let you know how it works outy. Thanks to everyone!

Comment

Phantom88 wrote:
                Will give it a try in the next day or so and let you know how it works outy. Thanks to everyone!
                Could be something else but mine did the same 6 years ago, a shot of WD40 and it hasn't been a problem again.

It works on other switches that don't work. Try it before changing a switch.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned
                Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

If the lubrication of the linkage does not work try and check the ground to the soleniod.

Hope this helps
                  Northport NY

Comment

On ours the problem was the connector in the wiring harnes on the engine (4588) simply pulling the connector apart and putting it together solved the problem for a while. When it cropped up again, we made individul connections, and got rid of the connecter.

Cheers all, steve

Comment

Working...
                    X