3888, Types of Woods-gctid383443

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3888, Types of Woods-gctid383443

I'm refinishing the Exterior Wood on the back of the Cabin and on top of the Transom and Gunnel. Does anyone know for sure the type of wood on either location? Some say it's Teak around the Cabin and Mahogany on the Transom any help would be appreciated.

My 1987 is all the same, Teak. I have had all of mine down to bare wood. Can't say for later models but it wouldn't make sense to change woods that mated. There would be some noticable difference imo.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

My '89 was also all teak.

Comment

My 1988 is all teak.

Happy Boating
        Richard
        1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

our 3888 is teak inside and out.. and I too am refinishing the wood on the outside.. weathering is a blotch in southeast alaska for boats... :worth so putting my big girl undies on and baggy grubs and rolling up the sleeves to tackle it all.

good luck on yours.. post pics when done.. I too will post as well

Comment

dmcb wrote:
            My 1987 is all the same, Teak. I have had all of mine down to bare wood. Can't say for later models but it wouldn't make sense to change woods that mated. There would be some noticable difference imo.

Doug
            Did you redo the galley wood?

did you sand and restain - any advice?

Thanks so much

Laurel

Comment

My '84 was teak throughout. The little triangles by the rear windows were teak verneer plywood. Stained? I think the interior was just oiled.

Comment

mcintyst wrote:
                Did you redo the galley wood?

did you sand and restain - any advice?

Thanks so much

Laurel
                DMCB is off cruising and won't see this until autumn. You might want to start a new thread in Motoryachts.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I did find that it's all Teak. My concern was on the wood that wraps around the back deck was gray and would not clean up like the rest of it. So I removed all the hardware (and it's a good thing I did) it was rotted out. Having it replaced, found Teak in a Lumber yard near me and took it to a friend of mine who has a wood shop. The rest of the teak is in pretty good shape and is looking good. I have 2 coats on and I'm going to do another 2.

Comment

I have worked hard getting my galley floor nice.. here is the pic of it.. next to tackle is the teak around the windows inside, and when we put our side curtains down I will tackle the deck teak..

Comment

Nice job!!! That looks GREAT !!!

Comment

OK, I am starting our cockpit teak. The next few days is supposed to be mid 80's.. so I went down today and blue paint taped around all the teak to prep and protect the fiberglass getting it ready for sanding tomorrow... I am taking before and after pics and will post them..................:worth

Comment

Working...
                        X