Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32xx forced air diesel heater mounting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joe440 View Post
    My next project is installing the Planar 44D heater.
    I have a couple of questions.
    If I mount the heater in the cave how is the noise when you are sleeping in the master ?
    Is it worth the trouble to install heating vent in the v berth or is a vent on the stairs ? Is it enough to heat the front of the boat ?
    Is there a reason not to T off of the starboard fuel line after the fuel filter ? This would eliminate maintaining the little fuel filter that comes with the heater kit.
    Noise is a non-issue - you can hear it, but it very quickly becomes white noise. that said, when running on thermostat mode, the fan will speed up and down a bit through the night - as I tend to sleep wth one ear open, I was very aware of this change. So I switched to running it in power mode instead - problem gone as the speed is constant.
    V-berth - I'd for sure run it to the v-berth, and then you can T-off to run a dedicate vent to the head.. believe me, it'll be worth it the first time the Admiral gets up in the middle of a cold night..

Fuel - I'd not do this - leave your main engine fuel alone. If you don't have a generator there should be an unused fuel pick-up in the stbd tank. Or, if you do have a generator, you can manifold off that line like I did - works well. Or you can install the dedicated pick-up that comes with the heater.
    Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
    Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
    Rear Commodore BYC

Comment

My next project is installing the Planar 44D heater.
      I have a couple of questions.
      If I mount the heater in the cave how is the noise when you are sleeping in the master ?
      Is it worth the trouble to install heating vent in the v berth or is a vent on the stairs ? Is it enough to heat the front of the boat ?
      Is there a reason not to T off of the starboard fuel line after the fuel filter ? This would eliminate maintaining the little fuel filter that comes with the heater kit.
      I mounted mine in cave. Suspended from ceiling far to starboard to keep it out of way. Have 4 ducts. One to lower berth, far corner by feet. Gives good air circulation. One above in main salon. One in head. blows warm air on toilet seat. No explanation needed and one through to V berth. of course, to get to these areas I first cut an access hatch in salon floor. I think there are members who have done a step by step of this.I followed theirs. I draw fuel from starboard tank using supplied pickup tube. I found the install a bit intimidating at first but I took my time and followed a lot of members advice and it actually went quite smooth.
      Maple Bay Yacht Club
      1990 3288 "Allure" w/150 hino x 2
      2004 Campion 622 fish killing machine "Knucklebuster", 150 yammy 4 stroke

Comment

Originally posted by knucklebustr View Post

I mounted mine in cave. Suspended from ceiling far to starboard to keep it out of way. Have 4 ducts. One to lower berth, far corner by feet. Gives good air circulation. One above in main salon. One in head. blows warm air on toilet seat. No explanation needed and one through to V berth. of course, to get to these areas I first cut an access hatch in salon floor. I think there are members who have done a step by step of this.I followed theirs. I draw fuel from starboard tank using supplied pickup tube. I found the install a bit intimidating at first but I took my time and followed a lot of members advice and it actually went quite smooth.
        I’ll be mounting from the cave ceiling as well. No room on the cave wall.
        Do you have any photos of the ducting?
        Where is your cold air intake located ?

Thanks
        1988 3218
        Triple “O"
        Hino diesels

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

I’ll be mounting from the cave ceiling as well. No room on the cave wall.
          Do you have any photos of the ducting?
          Where is your cold air intake located ?

Thanks
          Sorry. no photos. Fresh air intake is through the bulkhead that you'd go through to get into the cave. Just a short straight run from the heater. Combustion air I ran through where all the controls come through from engine room and the inlet would be around back side of starboard fuel tank. I'll try and get some photos. We'll be staying on boat tonight.
          Maple Bay Yacht Club

Comment

heres some I had from while I was installing it
            Maple Bay Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the photos.
              1988 3218
              Triple “O"
              Hino diesels

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

Comment

Hey guys, way late on this but just in case someone is still reading the post. My 3288 came with the intake air port dead center in the aft wall of the captains stateroom. Even with a muffler I find it's very noisy and have been trying to figure out a better place for the Webasto's intake. Is there a reason it can't use out side air? I'm guessing there must be. I know a lot of boats came stock this way. Has anyone changed their intake from this area? If so where did you put it? Thanks Chip

Comment

Working...
                X