Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32xx forced air diesel heater mounting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32xx forced air diesel heater mounting...

I've searched and searched (I LOVE the search function on this forum - NOT!!), and while I can find chatter on the mounting of a forced air (diesel) heater in the cave on a 32xx, I can only find one set of pictures.

so - does anyone have any pictures of your Espar/Webasto/Wallas/Planar forced air diesel heater mounted n the cave of your 32xx that you care to share?

thanks!
    Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
    Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
    Rear Commodore BYC

I don't have photos yet, but next time I'm down I'll take some. However, my Espar is located between my engines not in the cave. I didn't install it there but I certainly love it there! Limited noise (there is some soundproofing in the engine compartment, better ventilation, keeps the diesel limited to the confines of the engine compartment. I would definitely consider installing back there instead of the cave.
    1991 Bayliner 3288
    150HP Hino Diesel turbo
    Victoria, BC

Comment

My espar was in the cave on the port wall quite far aft. Needs to be mounted so that the glow plug is accessible. The exhaust went up the cave's port wall and along the cave ceiling and out the stbd side.

There is more noise at the exhaust than from the unit. Seemed a good location. Sorry about no photos since that is your real need.
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

thanks - I'd love to put it "out back", but trying to figure out the routing of both 4" ducts has be pretty much beat - thus the choice to move it into the cave. Note I have a gennie out there, so I'd have to mount the heater on the stbd transom - still - I think I could get it there if that was the only challenge... If I'd gone with a hydronic unit (as was my first choice - that location wold be a no-brainer...
        Rear Commodore BYC

Comment

I also have a generator between the engines. The Espar sits above the generator on a fabricated shelf. I'll take photos in the next few days.
          1991 Bayliner 3288
          150HP Hino Diesel turbo
          Victoria, BC

Comment

I mounted my Webasto on the back wall of the cave using the solid stainless mounting angle bracket. I put a new hole in the starboard side & ran the exhaust up & down to the thru hull fitting which is on a 45 degree angle anyway. Short run - it gets very, very, hot. Then easy to run the fuel line into the cave & I have a set of battery cable strength wires running to my Inverter & so I just wired the fuse box to that. Put the control panel underneath the battery level monitor & again easy cable run from there into behind the panel & into the cave. I faced the 4" duct outlet to the interior wall & from a "Y" joiner ran a duct & put an outlet there which comes out above foot height & then ran another 4" duct from the "Y" across & up through the floor to come out just behind the teak cabinet to which I fixed it. When it's not in use the curtain closes over it. I have the smallest unit so I just block off 1 outlet depending on where we are sitting. Warms the mid-cabin up and the main salon. It doesn't take long.

The noise, there's a 'whirring ' noise on start-up but otherwise, all the noise comes out the exhaust.

Only thing I'd change is to install a drain ( standard Webasto part ) in the bottom of the curve of the exhaust to pick up condensation. I'll still do that as any water there it creates a bad smell on start-up. You wouldn't notice it if it was in the engine bay however.

If you need photos let me know - I'll be down there in about a weeks time.
            Bay Seeker
            1994 3288

Comment

Pretty crowded to get a decent photo but it's attached. I have a generator on the bottom and the Espar is above. The blue marine hose is the fresh air return (otherwise it would be drawing air from the engine compartment).

Attached files

1991 Bayliner 3288
              150HP Hino Diesel turbo
              Victoria, BC

Comment

"Nikko" post=694121 wrote:
                I've searched and searched (I LOVE the search function on this forum - NOT!!), and while I can find chatter on the mounting of a forced air (diesel) heater in the cave on a 32xx, I can only find one set of pictures.

so - does anyone have any pictures of your Espar/Webasto/Wallas/Planar forced air diesel heater mounted n the cave of your 32xx that you care to share?

thanks!
                Nikko, I went down to boat tonight and took some photos. I mounted my Wallas 30D in the cave. I put a total of three heat outlets, one in the stateroom,one in the salon and one in the galley. The system has been in place for 10 years with zero issues. I remove the furnace once a year for service. This first photo shows where I placed the heater. I ran a solid fuel line from the port fuel tank ( tank had extra ports already in tank) through the cabinet under the sink and then under the bunk to the cave, I put a manual shut off valve in just in case there was a siphon issue when not in use.

[attachment]20877 wrote:
                image_2015-11-18.jpeg[/attachment]

I ran the heat ducting above to the galley step and accessed the back side of step through my hole in the stateroom bulkhead that allows access to the water tank float

[attachment]20878 wrote:
                image_2015-11-18-2.jpeg[/attachment]

The heat duct to the salon runs from the cave up through this area

[attachment]20879 wrote:
                image_2015-11-18-3.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment]20880 wrote:
                image_2015-11-18-4.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment]20881 wrote:
                image_2015-11-18-5.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment]20882 wrote:
                image_2015-11-18-6.jpeg[/attachment]
                Steve
                1987 3218 (sold)
                135 HINO
                2016 Past Commodore, Swinomish Yacht Club. La Conner Washington

Comment

Sorry, for some reason all the photos turned 90 degrees
                  Steve
                  1987 3218 (sold)
                  135 HINO
                  2016 Past Commodore, Swinomish Yacht Club. La Conner Washington

Comment

This is my installation of a Plannar heater. I have 1-4" intake duct and 2-3" heat ducts. The intake duct comes from the lower starboard wall in the salon and 1-3" heat duct goes to under the stairs in the aft birth. The other 3" heat duct goes to the bottom of the hanging closet in the V birth. Had to cut the bottom of the door off a little. As you know heat rises and the salon gets nice and warm and the intake vent draws the cooler air from the floor of the salon. The exhaust goes out an existing thru hull hole on the starboard side with a new thru hull fitting. You can see the loop of the exhaust hose. I had the aluminum mounting frame made as the wiring and exhaust comes out the bottom of the heater. There are 2 videos on u tube that explain the installation. Just goggle Plannar Heaters. The directions you get are not all that good as the heater is made in Russia. The reason I went with the Plannar heater is it is 1/3 the cost of other heaters and I won't be using it a whole lot as we don't boat in the winter, but is good for those chilly spring and fall nights. if you have any questions just let me know. Jan hope these pics show up ????

Comment

Many thanks Eagle - same boat, same heater - huge help!

Would yo do anything different if you could do it again?

And how do you like the Planar?
                      Rear Commodore BYC

Comment

Niko, So far the planar has worked good. We have not used it very much yet, but I flash it up every month for a while when I go out and check the boat. I did have a little trouble when first flashing it up, but took a few times and she worked fine. They did say that may be the case. I think in my case my fuel supply is about 3m from the furnace and it took a little bit to get fuel to the furnace. Me sure you mount the pump in the vertical position (not 45 degrees as they say in the video) If you go to planarheaters.com there are some videos of installation. I got the 44D-12 model and it will heat the salon area with no problem. You may want to put a 3rd heat outlet in the salon area but I don't think it is necessary. I was concerned about noise but I don't think it is any worse than the other heaters. You do have to spend a few more dollars for vents, ducting, Y's, etc. I ordered it from the Planar dealer down on Granville Is. in Vancouver. Like I said it is about 1/3 the cost of the other heaters....... time will tell ??

If you need anymore info just let me know and let me know how you make out....... Jan

Comment

Jan, what, if anything, would prevent that unit from being attached to the cave wall on the inboard side?
                          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Bob, the reason I mounted it on a shelf is that I did not want any noise or vibration on the wall as the aft birth is on the other side. Also I wanted to keep the exhaust hose as short as possible. Maybe the cave wall would be OK in certain situations. Jan

Comment

All great info - thanks to all who have contributed so far..

As it's looking now, the heater will be mounted aft on the mid-ship wall in the cave - outlet facing forward, intake facing aft and exhaust being run directly across the cave ceiling ( and either up into the "no mans land" void that's at the rear of the starboard salon cabinet - then out the side of the hull (up high) (Or as EAGLE III has shown his - have not decided yet)

Next question pertains to exhaust wrap. Curious what folks are using and how they installed it?
                              Rear Commodore BYC

Comment

Working...
                              X