Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy 1992 3888 and have questoins about using for salmon trolling-gctid382091

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy 1992 3888 and have questoins about using for salmon trolling-gctid382091

Boat has Hino 3.8 liter turbo 210 hp and Hurth 630a transmission. Wondering if I will need to install a trolling valve to fish for salmon or if there is a better solution. If trolling valce install in best option any idea for best place and approx cost?

Cmattison wrote:
    Boat has Hino 3.8 liter turbo 210 hp and Hurth 630a transmission. Wondering if I will need to install a trolling valve to fish for salmon or if there is a better solution. If trolling valce install in best option any idea for best place and approx cost?
    Have owned a ton of Bayliners and our 38 was the best of the bunch for salmon fishing. I particularity liked the idea that it is easy to drive the boat and still see all the rod action easily from the lower steering station. Now for me, the trolling speed was perfect for silvers but for kings I wanted to go slower so I slowed down the idle a bit. All the trolling was on a single engine. I used nothing but Hot Spot flashers and flies and hoochies all connected to down riggers trolled from 25 to 200 feet or so in Puget Sound and British Columbia. Our 38 had Hino 175 6 cyliners and I was able to turn down the idle for kings, but do not know if it is necessary or feasible for the 4 bangers. I am not even sure there is a trolling valve avail for Hurth 630 transmissions but never needed them.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Thanks for the input, is it fairly easy to adjust the idle?

Comment

Cmattison wrote:
        Thanks for the input, is it fairly easy to adjust the idle?
        Yes, even while fishing.
        Started boating 1965

Comment

I also have the 38 with the 175 Hino's. I have not tried adjusting the idle, but I salmon fish all the time on a single engine (got 2 10# blackmouth off of Hat in Everett on the second to last weekend). Just added autopilot and never new how fun and relaxing fishing could be on such a large boat.

I had similar questions about trolling before I got my 38 a year ago, not sure how the 210 hino's will do, but the 175's do excellent in my opinion.

Comment

Have not priced them lately, but about 3 - 5 years ago trolling valves were a few thousand dollars.

Darby

Comment

I run our 3870 on one engine when trolling and switch engines when running close to shore or rocks so that I am running on the engine that will push me away from danger if I need to.

Our speed on one engine is usually just less than 2 kts. It would be nice to go a tad slower but it works ok.

I keep the other engine in neutral but running at idle. Some folks don't like the idea of long idle periods but up here I have seen trucks that are never shut off in the winter. It is better if the non pulling engine is kept at a slightly higher idle to keep it clean.

Fish in Prince William Sound mainly for silver salmon. Great fun. Allowed 6 per day. When they are biting they will hit on anything.

Comment

belandd wrote:
                I run our 3870 on one engine when trolling and switch engines when running close to shore or rocks so that I am running on the engine that will push me away from danger if I need to.

Our speed on one engine is usually just less than 2 kts. It would be nice to go a tad slower but it works ok.

I keep the other engine in neutral but running at idle. Some folks don't like the idea of long idle periods but up here I have seen trucks that are never shut off in the winter. It is better if the non pulling engine is kept at a slightly higher idle to keep it clean.

Fish in Prince William Sound mainly for silver salmon. Great fun. Allowed 6 per day. When they are biting they will hit on anything.
                Wow Prince William Sound has got to be the most beautiful place on earth and I have been all over the earth. My first two trips in Prince William Sound were on a very fast cat tourist tour boat all over Prince William Sound, about 6 hours of running time each. First trip was so beautiful, my oldest son flew up for the second trip a few years later so he could see the beauty. First trip pre 911, I was able to ride in the pilot house most of the whole trip because of my commercial license. Last trip was post 911 and they were not as trusting. If anyone wants a boating day to remember and you are anywhere close to Prince William Sound and have only a single day, I would highly recommend it: http://www.phillipscruises.com/cruis...26glaciers.com
                Started boating 1965

Comment

Working...
                X