BURRRR its cold outside-gctid344977

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BURRRR its cold outside-gctid344977

OK, its been bloody cold:sorrow: here in town.. temps have been dipping down in minus levels around town.. so far with the Capt. away working, we have kept the boat toasty and warm. He gave us a checklist to rundown when we head down daily checking in it in these low low temps. We are sure glad we got a 2nd powerbase :worth on the finger. Helped alot with running heatlamps and 2 heaters (1 in engine room, 1 in galley) hows everyone elses boat fairing in the bitter temps.. if you have them.. its 4 degrees right now, sunny and crystal blue skies...

It is -20 in Seward, AK where my 3870 is, usually the coldest snap is no more than -15 to -17, we will see ice in the harbor. Glad I do not live on the boat year round any more, Florida is nice in the winter, miss Alaska in the 3 months I am there, but these old bones do not like the winter weather in AK.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

yeah its been dipping near our Harbor with the windchills to 25 below in areas.. the clear and bitter cold doesnt help the harbor ice.. we have a thin sheet near ours, we smacked it the first day we saw it and its been steering clear so far.. infact going down now to check again, its 11 degrees here and we arent near the harbor.... yeah I couldnt live year round on a boat here in the winters like this.. dont know how the harbor rats do it.. even with the heaters on our boat the salon temps been hovering around low 40's.. I need my heater.

Comment

It has been a bit below normal lately, but today we managed to get a bit above normal at 70 degrees F (in Sunny Az).
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

RinnyBeth

I have always thought that I want to live in Alaska,,,,I sure do want to visit, badly!

But after 12 yrs here in the Adirondacks, I know that I couldn't handle it in winter.

Seems as tho you're not much colder than we are (weekend temps never rose above 3F here)

But oh,,,,,,the darkness must be awful !?

Stay warm, hun

Sarah

Comment

Well, its probably warmer here in Prudhoe Bay Alaska at 5 above, but the wind is blowing and we've been in phase 2 conditions for three days now.

Travel is allowed in convoy only, radio contact is required, etc...

Nobody is going anywhere, locked down.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

normally we arent that bad with temps.. but this last month there has been a terrible storm system that wont leave Alaska.. its swirling around the coastal areas dumping as much as 8ft PLUS snow in places. The Capt is up north working to help bail out snows and they have 322 inches this season so far, and its just starting winter. The winters are a bit darker, if you wanna travel up here do it in the summers... pretty nice and if sailing the seas are alot better and calmer..

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                Well, its probably warmer here in Prudhoe Bay Alaska at 5 above, but the wind is blowing and we've been in phase 2 conditions for three days now.

Travel is allowed in convoy only, radio contact is required, etc...

Nobody is going anywhere, locked down.
                I do not miss Prudhoe Bay either, especially in the wind.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I know what you mean. Its suppose to get down to 74 tomorrow in SWFL

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                    I do not miss Prudhoe Bay either, especially in the wind.
                    Fortunately I don't have to work outside anymore.

Just walking to the truck or looking over a jobsite can get real cold in a hurry.

I did my time up towers and poles at -40, thats young persons work.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:
                      normally we arent that bad with temps.. but this last month there has been a terrible storm system that wont leave Alaska.. its swirling around the coastal areas dumping as much as 8ft PLUS snow in places. The Capt is up north working to help bail out snows and they have 322 inches this season so far, and its just starting winter. The winters are a bit darker, if you wanna travel up here do it in the summers... pretty nice and if sailing the seas are alot better and calmer..
                      Valdez has been on the news down here in Seattle and on the National news. 322" or nearly 27ft is amazing. It must be a constant battle to keep the snow from collapsing about everything.

I've been in Ancorage years past when it's been only like 12 below and it burned our throats to breath. The front desk at the hotel warned us about leaving the security of the hotel. I can't imagine colder -below temps.

Comment

Well here in Fort Mcmurray Alberta its been around -44 to -47 below zero with the wind . Looking forward to, going to the boat in sidney bc in march for a break.

Comment

You Alaska folks would be surprised at how much I have your turf on my mind! Between books, maps, google earth, cruises, Denail, the BRooks Range, Wrangell St Elias, the North Slope, the Aleutians, yada yada yada,,,,,,,I have so much knowledge and intrigue, I really should just go there and get it over with!!

When I was married I tried and tried to convince 'my man' to move there,,,,,,oh there was this little place near Juneau that was affordable and just sooooo wonderful sounding. I wanted to go soooooo badly,,,he did not. We didn't. Probably a good thing, I don't think that I could have lasted long there,,,,,,I really suffer from lack of sun in winter.

We did some winter camping at times in the mountains. One cold w'end we decided to go anyway, real cold. Camped a little below 3000' and woke the next morning to find my thermometer totally at the bottom,,,,,it was marked to minus 45, and was a bit below that, totally in teh bulb. I had never been so cold for so long and the night was misery to me,,,,, and seemingly about 50 hrs long! So cold we could barely break camp and get underway,,,,we just got the heck outta there & went home. The snow just screams under your feet when it gets that cold. BBrrrrrr

That night ended my dream of full-time living in Alaska,,,,,but I sooooo want to go, for a summer if I could.

Bayliner: 74 degrees huh,,,,,,,,you're KILLIN' me.......

Comment

kingstonal wrote:
                            Well here in Fort Mcmurray Alberta its been around -44 to -47 below zero with the wind . Looking forward to, going to the boat in sidney bc in march for a break.
                            Yea,,,,,,,,,,that's a double dose of winter there friend ! You are a brave soul!

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
                              You Alaska folks would be surprised at how much I have your turf on my mind! Between books, maps, google earth, cruises, Denail, the BRooks Range, Wrangell St Elias, the North Slope, the Aleutians, yada yada yada,,,,,,,I have so much knowledge and intrigue, I really should just go there and get it over with!!

When I was married I tried and tried to convince 'my man' to move there,,,,,,oh there was this little place near Juneau that was affordable and just sooooo wonderful sounding. I wanted to go soooooo badly,,,he did not. We didn't. Probably a good thing, I don't think that I could have lasted long there,,,,,,I really suffer from lack of sun in winter.

We did some winter camping at times in the mountains. One cold w'end we decided to go anyway, real cold. Camped a little below 3000' and woke the next morning to find my thermometer totally at the bottom,,,,,it was marked to minus 45, and was a bit below that, totally in teh bulb. I had never been so cold for so long and the night was misery to me,,,,, and seemingly about 50 hrs long! So cold we could barely break camp and get underway,,,,we just got the heck outta there & went home. The snow just screams under your feet when it gets that cold. BBrrrrrr

That night ended my dream of full-time living in Alaska,,,,,but I sooooo want to go, for a summer if I could.

Bayliner: 74 degrees huh,,,,,,,,you're KILLIN' me.......
                              Sarah I moved to Alaska 22 years ago.

If you ever think about havine a life adventure like moving somewhere like here, just give it a try. You may last a winter, you may last a lifetime.

But, you will not regret it.

We've had allot of adventures here, almost been killed several times, and had a blast.

I think it was mark Twain who said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

Working...
                              X