Alarm-gctid381032

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarm-gctid381032

I had an alarm go off under my dash up on the bridge. Oil pressure and temp was fine on both engines. There was no alarm sounding anywhere but upstairs, high pitched like a smoke alarm. It went away after a few minutes and I continued on an uneventful cruise.

Any ideas?

bayliner3288 wrote:
    I had an alarm go off under my dash up on the bridge. Oil pressure and temp was fine on both engines. There was no alarm sounding anywhere but upstairs, high pitched like a smoke alarm. It went away after a few minutes and I continued on an uneventful cruise.

Any ideas?
    'like a smoke alarm'? You're saying the sound is different from when you just turn the key on before starting?

Comment

On my 38 my oil pressure alarms were giving me fits.. I sanded and cleaned all the connectors and fittings to the alarm sender solenoid's and problem solved.. Be careful when doing so, (being the worlds worst electrician) I nudged a hot wire against the block and sent my heart up into my chest with a small firework show.. Luckily I there was no damage to the fuse or Solenoid.

if you have a high pitched noise and not the oil pressure/key sound you might have something custom. could be custom engine temp alarms?

Comment

If you heard the under-dash alarm, it goes off for one of three reasons: low oil; high temperature; and low steering/transmission fluid level. I had a similar situation, fixed it by topping up the fluids. the steering fluid reservoir is very finicky - just a little low and the alarm goes off. Let us know what you find!

Rob

Comment

robster_in_edmonds wrote:
          If you heard the under-dash alarm, it goes off for one of three reasons: low oil; high temperature; and low steering/transmission fluid level. I had a similar situation, fixed it by topping up the fluids. the steering fluid reservoir is very finicky - just a little low and the alarm goes off. Let us know what you find!

Rob
          Where is the sensor for low steering hydraulic fluid. Never heard of it before. Which Bayliners have this sensor?
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
            Where is the sensor for low steering hydraulic fluid. Never heard of it before. Which Bayliners have this sensor?
            I was wondering the same. The three that bring in the alarm on the 32's to my knowledge are low oil pressure, high coolant temperature, and oil filter bypass which occurs due to clogged oil filter. Dean

Comment

I had just changed all fluids and filters. I checked all levels and all were good. My steering fluid is on the add mark, if there is a warning for that.

Comment

Was the sounder on up top? Was the tide dropping ? May want to check your "shallow" alarm setting.....

Comment

bayliner3288 wrote:
                  I had just changed all fluids and filters. I checked all levels and all were good. My steering fluid is on the add mark, if there is a warning for that.
                  I think the warning is red or brown fluid in bilge or under steering wheels. You do not lose it with use like engine oil. You use it with a leak.
                  Started boating 1965

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
                    I think the warning is red or brown fluid in bilge or under steering wheels. You do not lose it with use like engine oil. You use it with a leak.
                    Not sure what you mean

Comment

bayliner3288 wrote:
                      Not sure what you mean
                      The only way the steering fluid is low is if it was never completely filled at the factory, someone else fixed a leak and did not fill it, or you have a leak.
                      Started boating 1965

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
                        The only way the steering fluid is low is if it was never completely filled at the factory, someone else fixed a leak and did not fill it, or you have a leak.
                        Thanks...now I get what you mean

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
                          If I stop my boat and do not turn off my auto pilot I will loose all of my steering fluid. This happens when I stop to pull in my towed dinghy before pulling into a marina which is really stressfull because now I have no steering

Comment

billsguns wrote:
                            If I stop my boat and do not turn off my auto pilot I will loose all of my steering fluid. This happens when I stop to pull in my towed dinghy before pulling into a marina which is really stressfull because now I have no steering
                            Where does the fluid go? When I do that my autopilot beeps to tell me it has no control, but I don't loose fluid.
                            Started boating 1965

Comment

I have no clue where the sensor is, all I know is that if the fluid level drops below the mini-stick on the underside of the fill cap, the alarm goes off, but there's no wire to the fill cap. This is a 1996 7.4 liter Mercruiser, and the alarm is noted in the repair manual I have. I think I may have a leak somewhere in the steering fluid line, as there is an oily sheen in my bilge, engine oil level is fine (never need to add oil in between oil changes), but I have to periodically add steering fluid (every 3-4 uses of the boat).

Does anyone have suggestions on likely leak spots?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X