Seward Alaska Nordhavn 46-gctid380280

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seward Alaska Nordhavn 46-gctid380280

If anybody is even considering a Nordhavn 46 in their future, this one might be a steal.

The boat is located in Seward Alaska so its all ready to make the inside passage trip south if a out of state buyer gets it.

They're asking $329K which is the lowest I've ever seen a Nordhavn 46 ever get listed for.

I've seen the boat at the dock and it looks to be in pretty decent shape. Its an estate sale.

The only real issue i saw was the exterior teak being the "natural look". Since the photos someone has cleaned and oiled the teak up markedly improving the look of the boat.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

I took the bayliner stickers off my 45 and am replacing them with Nordhavn instead...cheaper than buying a 46!! :arr

The N46 is a heck of a boat though- love it and love the lines.
    ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Comment

It's a 1990 model with 5000 hours, which is ok for that boat, it is the lowest priced 46 on the market. There is a 94 listed in Florida for $349K. the rest are all $400K+
      www.boatyardgm.com
      www.pacificyachtimports.net
      2002 Carver Voyager 57
      "Making Waves"
      3988 250 Hinos
      "The Dark Side"
      Alameda, California

Comment

After being able to

look inside the hull of a 46' named Dream Weaver hauled out in Ft. Lauderdale after it cracked open like an egg- NOT impressed at all! THIN, THIN, THIN, and it's fibers were dry, as if it was resin starved. The first layer of glass on a 4788 alone is much thicker than the entire hull of that 46.

Maybe if it had some coring it wouldn't had shattered like a hard boiled egg.

I've come through sea of half submerged oil drums out in the Gulf Stream, I would be scared of that in a Nordhavn 46: NOT what I had expected to see!

Comment

pilothouseking wrote:
          After being able to

look inside the hull of a 46' named Dream Weaver hauled out in Ft. Lauderdale after it cracked open like an egg- NOT impressed at all! THIN, THIN, THIN, and it's fibers were dry, as if it was resin starved. The first layer of glass on a 4788 alone is much thicker than the entire hull of that 46.

Maybe if it had some coring it wouldn't had shattered like a hard boiled egg.

I've come through sea of half submerged oil drums out in the Gulf Stream, I would be scared of that in a Nordhavn 46: NOT what I had expected to see!
          I do not have any first hand experience with the hull of a Nordhavn, but the Nordhavn is the passagemaker that all others are measured against.

What I do have is experience with what is comfortable. Looking at the N46 side by side with the 4788, I can tell you that the 4788 is FAR larger inside than the N46. There is no comparison in the area of creature comfort, or livability.

What the Nordhavn line offers is the opportunity to go anywhere in the world, and they have a remarkable track record of just that.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

ksanders wrote:

Looking at the N46 side by side with the 4788, I can tell you that the 4788 is FAR larger inside than the N46. There is no comparison in the area of creature comfort, or livability.
            That is why in addition to putting on the Nordhavn sticker on the side of my 45 I am also upgrading it to the Nordhavn 57 logo! haha :arr

Comment

I walked by that boat every day I was not out fishing, there was a woman living on it most of the time. Last summer was the first time I saw that boat in the harbor, looked like it has spent a lot of time traveling the waters, I have not see the inside. The boat looks like it is well equiped from the outside.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Leshman has done a brilliant job of marketing a lifestyle and the image of seaworthy long range cruisers. Nordhavn created a market for all the other trawlers with exception of Grand Banks, which is really a coastal cruiser without the performance of a Bayliner. Owning a Nordhavn automatically put you in the class of world travelers. Blake is right the smaller Nordhavns have warts and design problems that at their price point shouldn't be. The 46 is the boat that started it all for Nordhavn. The 46 has a tight interior not unlike a sail boat. the hull form has very little primary stability and just boarding causes it to rock from side to side. This boat needs stabilizers , flopper stoppers and maybe paravanes. The 40 is even worse I have a friend with a forty and he has all three forms of stabilizers and he still isn't happy with the boat. It also hobby horses. They have however done a brilliant job of marketing.

Comment

Kevin, your not looking so soon are you?

Doug
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned
                  Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I think they're beautiful boats for sure. 5,000 hours is nothing on that John Deere motor either. I have a commercial long-liner two slips down that has 29,000 on his and is headed to Alaska again in a few weeks. That's hardly anything as far as hours go, but at $329K she's out of my market for now.
                    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                      Kevin, your not looking so soon are you?

Doug
                      Doug you might know the story...

There was a Nordhavn 46 for sale in Seattle. The boats name was Salvation 2. That particular boat is "the" boat that started the Nordhavn story. It was owned by Jim Spinks and was used by him and his admrial to circumnavigate the world, along with many other adventures.

I really wanted that boat. The price was right, the boat was right, and the stars were aligning.

Then my admrial stepped in.

She wanted nothing to do with the boat. It was too small, and she wanted nothing to do with a boat that could go around the world. I think she was afraid that I would actually try and circumnavigate. She liked the Bayliner 4788, and that was that. I had two choices... Get a 4788 or keep my souped up 2859. We had allot of heated discussions about this. Heated discussions that people that have been married for two decades don't often have.

Well, as we all know I bought the 4788.

I named her "Lisas Way" for that very reason.

Now fast foward to today...

I still have a soft spot for the Nordhavn's. I also have a soft spot for the Hatteras LRC's. Actually I have a soft spot for passagemakers in general.

I'm a pretty new 4788 owner. My time aboard is in sum total about 21 full days. I have also went through as everybody knows a very extensive refit of our 4788. During that time I have come to really appreciate the livability of the 4788. While it may not be a bluewater passagemaker, it is a very capable boat, and very importantly a very livable boat.

When I got on the Nordhavn 46 last week the first thing I thought is why did I like this boat so much in the first place. I can tell you why. As Steve so aptly put it, Nordhavn sells a dream. The dream of cruising to distant lands. The dream of freedom from our every day lives. The dream of adventure.

The reality is that the dream is in the boat you own. You make the dream. You make the adventure, not the boat.

I've now got not just one but two Inside Passage, and Gulf of Alaska merit badges, both earned in Bayliners. Both adventures had times of joy, and times of trial and tribulation. They are true adventures. My story is not the one that Nordhavn wants to be told. It is not the stuff that sells new Nordhavn's.

While I still have a soft spot for the Nordhavn's I think I'll keep my Bayliner... And start planning my next adventure.

KEVIN SANDERS

where are we right now?

Comment

ksanders wrote:

The reality is that the dream is in the boat you own. You make the dream. You make the adventure, not the boat.
                        This may be one of the best and most true things I have read in a boating forum in many, many years!!

Comment

Ha Kevin, I now know you have been married long enough to know if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Yes very well put.

I think I know how you felt the second time aboard. I have been interested in things that have been well sold only to find at a second look, it wasn't what I thought it was.

Actually you need to keep options open. It keeps you young.

I was 69 when we bought out 38. Are you nuts was implied if not said. I thought if we got 5 seasons it would be worth it.

We start our 7th season in a few days. As soon as I add a few more toys to it.

Doug
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned
                          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

+1

Kevin and Doug.

It is what you make of it within the goals you set.

Richard

Comment

ksanders wrote:

While I still have a soft spot for the Nordhavn's I think I'll keep my Bayliner... And start planning my next adventure.
                              Here's an idea to kill both birds with the same stone: Do what many of the 'big boy's' do with their super yachts, that are capable of going on their bottoms, and that's to load your 4788 on a Ship to Med, Thailand, Hawaii, or New Zealand, and go along for the ride, with her plugged into ships power, and enjoying the view during the long boring parts from high above in the Captains Lounge. Then unload her, cruise around, load and move again, for a fraction of the price of a Nordhavn which is slower than mollasses in January, much less the fuel, wear and tear on expedition boat.

About 20 years ago I met some fellow who had cruised the world in a Bayliner 45' in same way. He had his own cradle, and he would befriend Captains, who would load him as deck cargo. I saw him in Rio de Janerio with his 45. He had tons of photos of him BBQing with crew members on different ships in Africa, Saudi Arabia, Med, etc., then there's Dockwise and Yacht Path. Now new operation named Ten Star. It's 35k from Miami to Australia on either. You could write the whole thing off as business travel expense if you incorporate the boat and yourself as a business venture write about it.

Something to think about. I'd buy a copy of the "4788 Chronicles" Alaska was just 1st Chapter. Talk about a cruising guide! Better yet-HELLO Discovery Channel!

Comment

Working...
                              X