Trolling with Hinos?-gctid379403

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trolling with Hinos?-gctid379403

I have a feeling this will unleash the 'Gods of Gummed-up Turbos' or the like, but are people trolling with diesel engines in the 32's? I know one 32 on my dock has modified his swim step to mount his outboard (nicely done, BTW) , and he's got gassers. Anyway- any issues with doing so? Obviously the water current matters, but are you able to maintain a slow enough speed with one engine? Any impacts to diesels loping along like that for long periods? Thanks, Dean

Dead slow one engine was a fish magnet for Springs (Kings) when I had a 32 with 150's.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I fished a ton with my 38 with 175 Hinos. Used single engine and switched daily. I did lower the idle speed to min. No issues. Worked great for all species of salmon.
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

They work great just blow it out on the way in and then let it cool. One thing to be aware of is drive plate wear. Trolling takes a toll on the drive plates, watch for increased vibration and be prepared if you plan on doing a lot of trolling. Or better yet replace them with the new kind they have now I can't remember the name but they are much more heavy duty.

Comment

NWCruiser wrote:
          They work great just blow it out on the way in and then let it cool. One thing to be aware of is drive plate wear. Trolling takes a toll on the drive plates, watch for increased vibration and be prepared if you plan on doing a lot of trolling. Or better yet replace them with the new kind they have now I can't remember the name but they are much more heavy duty.
          Yup With Centa Flex plates.

Comment

toukow wrote:
            I have a feeling this will unleash the 'Gods of Gummed-up Turbos' or the like, but are people trolling with diesel engines in the 32's? I know one 32 on my dock has modified his swim step to mount his outboard (nicely done, BTW) , and he's got gassers. Anyway- any issues with doing so? Obviously the water current matters, but are you able to maintain a slow enough speed with one engine? Any impacts to diesels loping along like that for long periods? Thanks, Dean
            we have twin 210-hinos on our 3888, and we troll all the time.. we troll at 1.2k.. we use downriggers with 10lb cannon balls. we use one engine when trolling and do just fine, even with the nastiest weather this past weekend here it did fine. we have a huge stainless steel swimstep.. ours are diesel and we dont gum up.. FISH ON

Comment

The Hino power curves don't even start until the low 1,000's, suggesting they are not intended for normal operation in this range, and certainly not at idle - consider running at least at fast idle. Many report problems and failure of transmissions when operated at idle for extended periods - again, fast idle is recommended to prevent excessive rattle and wear - you should be able to clearly hear when the rattling stops, say at 900 rpm. But if you must run at low idle, follow the other post recommendations to increase speed at the end of your trolling run to blow-out the carbon, at the least to the minimum power range shown on the engine curve - should be in the 1200 to 1500 rpm range. - Good luck, Doug S.

Comment

I know several avid fishermen with the 32's and they all do it on one engine. I did last fall for the first time and it worked great.

Comment

scottlove wrote:
                  I know several avid fishermen with the 32's and they all do it on one engine. I did last fall for the first time and it worked great.
                  we use only the port engine when trolling and its been working just fine.. we keep at a low speed and no gummy engines... we do between 1.2 and 1.5 knots with the downriggers or just poles.. works great.. we have a 3888

Comment

We have a 3988 with Hino 250's and troll with one engine, switching from one to the other while fishing.Usually around 1200 rpm or so. They do just fine. I just make sure I run them up to cruise speed to get the temp up and get any fuel burned out of them on the way home.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I'll give it a go. I probably will keep the overall hours down if this impacts the transmission plates, given the Hurth 360's have never been rebuilt and are approaching 1500 hours. Oh, and thanks for all the forum help on getting me to spend $500 for electric downriggers Thanks, Dean

Comment

toukow wrote:
                        Thanks for the comments, I'll give it a go. I probably will keep the overall hours down if this impacts the transmission plates, given the Hurth 360's have never been rebuilt and are approaching 1500 hours. Oh, and thanks for all the forum help on getting me to spend $500 for electric downriggers Thanks, Dean
                        check with your marine stores when the downrigger reps are in town.. they usually have killer sales then.. I walked in on ours here, and the set sale price they had, I got them to take another 20.00 OFF each one, AND got them to give me FREE 2 Scotty black hoodies with the deal.. took out the :arr Captains checkbook and signed away ... :wow-.. we love the new electric ones

Comment

I've done a lot of fishing on my friend's 32' - we had a lot of luck running with one engine and two large sea-anchors off of the front two cleats (tying the back of the sea-anchor off on the midships cleat to keep them rolling under the boat on a turn). This way, we were able to maintain a good trolling speed and bump the idle up enough to keep the pressure off the flex plates and transmission. Worked great. I'm now trolling on my 3870 with one engine - so far with no success...which has nothing to do with the engine :thumb

Comment

I have a 3870 with 175 Hinos and was wondering...when you guys troll with one engine, do you shut the other one down or let it idle in neutral?

Comment

SEA-KING wrote:
                              I've done a lot of fishing on my friend's 32' - we had a lot of luck running with one engine and two large sea-anchors off of the front two cleats (tying the back of the sea-anchor off on the midships cleat to keep them rolling under the boat on a turn). This way, we were able to maintain a good trolling speed and bump the idle up enough to keep the pressure off the flex plates and transmission. Worked great. I'm now trolling on my 3870 with one engine - so far with no success...which has nothing to do with the engine :thumb
                              That sounds interesting- burn a little extra fuel and protect the transmissions. Like this from your description? I only have one storm anchor but can't see why a single storm anchor off the anchor roller would not work with 10-15 feet of line. Leave enough to run just under the centerline or a bit to either side but far enough forward to assure there is nothing to hang up on.

My question is at what RPM is the pressure off of the plates? Can you hear when this occurs?

Comment

Working...
                              X