Problems lifting 4588-gctid379207

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

toukow wrote:
    Pat- Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully it will be fine as Pilothouseking states, given these boats are built like Cholox bottles though I hadn't noticed the chlorine smell.

Can you educate me on the situation a bit? I totally understand the advantage of using a spreader bar having worked many years ago in the shipyards around superstructures, etc. being lifted, but I'm confused as to the impact of the tide in this discussion. The level of the water is somehow impacting the distance between the straps athwarships? Or there is some other factor I'm not grasping? Obviously the lift would be further, but the load would not change-correct? Again, I wish you the best in resolving the matter to your satisfaction, Dean
    If you make a drawing of the bow of the boat while in the water, then raise up and place the lift, then draw a line representing the slings, the further down the boat you will see that the slings are in a wedge shape, the effect is more pressure on the hull cap joint the further down the boat is, just stretch the distance and see.

That is where a narrow lift needs spreader bars on some boats, our wider boats wait for the tide to be high to be lifted, it also takes less time if lifting at high tide in Alaska, we pay by the hour in Seward.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Papa Charlie wrote:
      We were preparing to have our 4588 lifted at our marina to have shaft work done. I had arranged to lift at 9:30 am. According to the marina that would pose no problem despite a low tide. The type of lift is a sling type.
      Were you at the 12th Street yacht basin lift or the old lift by the old marine store? I'm guessing it was the old lift and if so I would not use that lift for the reason you described. I had them lift our 4788 when it was trucked to Everett a few years ago and they did the same thing but I had them stop when I noticed the issue and had them put a spreader on and that worked but it still made me nervous. I have had ours pulled out 4 times at the 12th Street Yacht basin lift just around the corner from the old lift and it works flawlessly. Much nicer facility as well as lots of room to maneuver.

Hope that helps!
      1994 4788

Comment

At low tide, even 12th St Yacht Basin is questionable.

I've seen them pull out some big boys, 60-70 footers, but don't think it was low tide

Port of Everett is pretty much exclusively using the 12st St travel lift.

They've recently expanded their yard to something like 80 spots.
        Pat
        Paragon
        1999 4788

Comment

toukow wrote:
          Pat- Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully it will be fine as Pilothouseking states, given these boats are built like Cholox bottles though I hadn't noticed the chlorine smell.Can you educate me on the situation a bit? I totally understand the advantage of using a spreader bar having worked many years ago in the shipyards around superstructures, etc. being lifted, but I'm confused as to the impact of the tide in this discussion. The level of the water is somehow impacting the distance between the straps athwarships? Or there is some other factor I'm not grasping? Obviously the lift would be further, but the load would not change-correct? Again, I wish you the best in resolving the matter to your satisfaction, Dean
          The effect of the boat at a lower position to the slings support at the top of the lift puts the straps against the upper portion of the boat. The closer the boat is to the width of the lift the worse this will become. You can see in the rough drawing how the straps would be against the boat at the deck area. When the lift is done from a higher point the width of the lift acts like a spreader bar pulling the straps away from the deck area as in the drawing. Depending on how beamy the boat is compared to the lifts width the effects can be very dramatic.Yes this was at the 12th street basin, not the old lift.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Pat,

Any update on how this all worked out for ya?
            Pat
            Paragon
            1999 4788

Comment

Working...
            X