8KW Westerbeke generator sound shield-gctid378548

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8KW Westerbeke generator sound shield-gctid378548

I have searched the forums for related threads/posts. There are a number but no pictures of a DIY shield, descriptions are good. One of a fabric cover. Does anybody know of or have pictures of installations and could direct me?

Richard

1988 38' 175NA Hinos

Richard

I don't know the history of the shield on our boat, but I'd venture it was made specific for the boat. I'll take some photos next time I'm down on the boat. Essentially it was not too bad of a job when you look at it. They build a rectangular pan for the gen to sit in. then constructed a framework of 1" aluminum angle. Its bolted together and bolted to the pan. Visualize a big box built of angle. Then then took diamond plate and made a panel to bolt on each side and the top. the panels are drilled and the angle is tapped for a 1/4 x 20 thread. So the panels can each be bolted in place. they then took kind of a rigid insullation, about 1 1/2 " thick and glued it to the inside of each panel. All that was left is making/cutting the appropriate holes for cables/hoses etc to get through. That looks like it was the most difficult part of the project.

It works pretty well. When the shield all on and bolted up, our 43 is significantly quieter then our friend's 3988 with the same generator.

Depending on what you want to work on, you can pull any/all of the panels out of the way in a few minutes.

Comment

http://stopthesound.com/
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Toni.

I'd appreciate the pictures.

Uncle Bob,

Thanks for the link.

Richard

Comment

On my 38 I made one with angle and sheet metal and glued leaded sound insulation. Connected them with Zuse fasteners. It worked well. I also installed a GenSep gas water separator and you could hardly hear it running. I don't have the boat any more so no pictures sorry.

Comment

Nellie 59,

If you did it with the genny already installed did you do anything at the bottom? If not apparently covering not the bottom made no differance? Was there any problem covering the top? Clearance is minimal.

Richard

Comment

Working...
            X