Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kashiyama raw water pump-gctid649173

Fleet,

After an exhaustive forum search about Kashiyama pumps I believe I have determined there is no way to lubricate these pumps. Mine are on my workbench where I have complete access to them. There is no zerk fitting that I'm able to see.

Both are working fine but after 3 years I am changing out the impellers which appear to be in remarkably good condition. It's easier for me to remove the pumps than attempt an impeller change out while on the engine.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Jim, I have the hino 110 , and need to replace the rawwater pump that broke while I was trying to remove the suction hose to clean out pieces of the empeller. Do you know if we have the same pumps, and is there more to removing the pump then just the two flang bolts.

Kevin
    2005 c-dory 22ft. Sold 5 2014
    1985 3270 110 hino
    cruising the CA. delta

Comment

Kevin,

I'm sorry I do not know if we have the same pumps. For comparison the pump I have has four hold down bolts. I can't imagine being able to break the pump while removing the water hoses as this pump is pretty stout. There are inlet/outlet hose fittings that bolt to the pump, maybe you mean these as they are thin wall brass or bronze?
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Thanks Jim, but are pumps are different. The 110's have 2 bolts mounting the the pump to the engine block and hose nipples for the inlet and outlet screwed into the pump housing.

Kevin
        2005 c-dory 22ft. Sold 5 2014
        1985 3270 110 hino
        cruising the CA. delta

Comment

"There is no zerk fitting that I'm able to see."

The grease fittings for the EH700 pumps are in the center of the housing between the pulley and the pump.

This pic should make that clear if I can post it correctly. See #9.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catal.../834999/37.GIF

Hope this helps
          Northport NY

Comment

Smitty,

I must have weird pumps as they do not have zerk fittings anywhere. Ironically, I see a boss in the top of the casting where they would/should go. The two pumps I have are on 1989 EH700's which, I believe, was the last year these engines were used on 3888's. I wonder if there was a design change to eliminate the zerks in later models?
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I have a 1988 3818 and the stbd engine has a Kashiyama port the original from Bayliner. I bought my boat in 1994 with these pumps. I assume the stbd was changed buy PO. I have never had a problem with the Kashiyama and there is no zerk.

Smitty,

Is the diagram you posted of the 1988 and before pumps rather than a Kashiyama which was used in 1989 boats? If it is a Kashiyama why have we had no problems?

Richard

Comment

Richard,

Are you saying the Kashiyama is an after market pump on your boat and the other pump(whatever it is) was the original? I suspect it's the other way around but I may have misunderstood your post.
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Jim,

The Kashiyama is yellow on the stbd. The port is original engine blue. I believe the Kashiyama is the replacement. I see that your picture of the Kashiyama is blue, there must be some changing of pumps during manufacture of these boats?

Ricchard

Comment

Jim,

My 1989 3888 has the same pumps, both are original. Both of mine have the zerk fittings for grease in the bosses. In the factory manuals I have they talk about lubrication intervals (500 hours or once a year) and grease types. "Inject a good quality grease meeting MIL-G-10924B specifications at the grease fitting with a manually operated "gun" --avoid seal damage by stopping injection as soon as back pressure is felt. "

If the bearings are sealed, the grease fitting is not necessary, but if open bearings I would want some way to lubricate them.

I'll post a photo of mine when I get back from the boat today.

Interestingly, my coolant circulating pumps both have grease fittings as well.

James
                    1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                    Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                    Lowrance Electronics!
                    MMSI
                    VHF CFA2587
                    Boating on Georgian Bay

Comment

Richard,

Interestingly enough underneath the blue paint on both of my pumps is yellow paint! The paint signatures suggest the pumps began life yellow and were overprinted the blue green once assembled on the engine. Perhaps the yellow is primer?

James,

Take a look at the attached pic. It appears Kashiyama made a design change somewhere along the end of the production run of pumps. I say this because my boat is an 89 but it has signatures of the 90 version, things like the fuel supply lines and valves that were apparently a 90's change. I suppose if the pump is sealed and not leaking it doesn't require greasing.......I hope! My circulation pumps do have the zerk fitting and I have greased them.

Jim Gandee
                      1989 3888
                      Hino 175's
                      Fire Escape
                      Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

"MacPhid" post=649513 wrote:
                        Jim,

My 1989 3888 has the same pumps, both are original. Both of mine have the zerk fittings for grease in the bosses. In the factory manuals I have they talk about lubrication intervals (500 hours or once a year) and grease types. "Inject a good quality grease meeting MIL-G-10924B specifications at the grease fitting with a manually operated "gun" --avoid seal damage by stopping injection as soon as back pressure is felt. "

If the bearings are sealed, the grease fitting is not necessary, but if open bearings I would want some way to lubricate them.

I'll post a photo of mine when I get back from the boat today.

Interestingly, my coolant circulating pumps both have grease fittings as well.

James
                        Same as my 1987 3870 with EH700 Hinos, I bought a spare pump off a 250 hp in a 45xx that had been re powered and it also has a zerk.
                        Capt. Ron.
                        "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
                        "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
                        1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
                        Hino EH700
                        Westerbeke 8.0
                        1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
                        on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

My original 1986 Kashiyama pumps had the zerk fittings.

I replaced one last year with a new Kashiyama, and it is sealed and does not have a zerk.

I rebuilt my old Kashiyama ( the one with the zerk fitting) and now carry it as a spare.
                          Allan
                          1986 - 3870
                          175 Hinos
                          Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Jim,

My 1989 is I suspect a very early 1989 as it still has shore power connections near the cockpit. Serial number ends in F889.

Here is the picture of my pumps, both are identical. Interesting that when I removed them this winter to check impellers (both still perfect) there was yellow on the bottom. I thought it might have been a lubricant of some kind, never occurred to me it was the original paint.

James
                            1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                            Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                            Lowrance Electronics!
                            MMSI
                            VHF CFA2587
                            Boating on Georgian Bay

Comment

I wonder if the overhaul parts remain available for these pumps? I'm not ready for t hat just yet.......it's just a matter of time I suppose.
                              Jim Gandee
                              1989 3888
                              Hino 175's
                              Fire Escape
                              Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X