No announcement yet.

1988 bayliner 3188, hino Tachometer and oil pressure gauge trouble-gctid376425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 bayliner 3188, hino Tachometer and oil pressure gauge trouble-gctid376425

Hey guys, i,m new to this site , have found alot of info here already that i didnt know about my boat . I have a 1988 3288, had it 1 year. It has twin 135hp hinos , i have a issue when i start both engines all is good. after about 20 mins of running the stbd Engine tachometer and oil pressure gauges start to jump around . any one know where i could look to fix this problem , help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.

An easy start to the process of elimination is to check the condition of the main wiring harness plug-in connections. All your wires leaving the engine normally run through this plug.

Good Luck
    Richard
    1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

LTCret wrote:
      An easy start to the process of elimination is to check the condition of the main wiring harness plug-in connections. All your wires leaving the engine normally run through this plug.

Good Luck
      Look for green gunk on the connectors.
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

LTCret wrote:

Good Luck
        +1 on that.. if that does not do the trick then you should check the sending units that are on the engines. I just replaced all of mine, fuel, Tac, Engine temp and oil pressure.. All gauges work now. The sending units go with the gauges, you probably have Faria gauges, you can Google Faria and find there website. Call there and talk with Jason Clarke X1229.. Tell him you have Diesel's and need the correct sending units, he will give you the model numbers which you can Google to find the best price.

Your tac sender is probably this unit:

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/FAR/FAR90901.html

$53 is pretty high I think mine was around $42 so shop around...

Hope this helps.

Comment

FishingFool wrote:
          +1 on that.. if that does not do the trick then you should check the sending units that are on the engines. I just replaced all of mine, fuel, Tac, Engine temp and oil pressure.. All gauges work now. The sending units go with the gauges, you probably have Faria gauges, you can Google Faria and find there website. Call there and talk with Jason Clarke X1229.. Tell him you have Diesel's and need the correct sending units, he will give you the model numbers which you can Google to find the best price.

Your tac sender is probably this unit:

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/FAR/FAR90901.html

$53 is pretty high I think mine was around $42 so shop around...

Hope this helps.
          Not sure what gauges i have they are th flat square type, not the round ones ,i know that much ..

Comment

keatig wrote:
            Hey guys, i,m new to this site , have found alot of info here already that i didnt know about my boat . I have a 1988 3288, had it 1 year. It has twin 135hp hinos , i have a issue when i start both engines all is good. after about 20 mins of running the stbd Engine tachometer and oil pressure gauges start to jump around . any one know where i could look to fix this problem , help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.
            Try http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=40738 for info on the electrical things. It's from the Hino shop manual.

The manual is a little hard to follow but the info is all there. I had to read it a number of times before it made sense.

Comment

keatig wrote:
              Not sure what gauges i have they are th flat square type, not the round ones ,i know that much ..
              Sounds like you have the "star wars' gauges. Can you take a picture of them and post it? The more info the more people can help.

Comment

yeah there the star wars ones i guess, i think they are still US Marine though,

Comment

keatig wrote:
                  yeah there the star wars ones i guess, i think they are still US Marine though,
                  They were just branded by US Marine but made by someone else. Look on the back and along the sides for a Paten #, you should be able to see the maker's name; most likely Faria. I do not know where the senders are located on your engine but mine were pretty easy to find. Get the part numbers from Faria, Google the part numbers and look at the pictures. Then go to your engines and find them. They will have wire and ring terminals attached. do what the earlier post suggests and clean the terminals, etc first.. that may fix your problem. If it does not, then order and change out your senders

Comment

Working...
                  X