47 interior delaminating problems-gctid376353

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47 interior delaminating problems-gctid376353

We are looking at a 2002 47 , the cabinet doors and wall in the bunk room appear to have white blotchy places, wall in bunk room is wavy to touch, any ideas
    2001 4788
    Knott again

Not unusual for laminates to become unglued. The solution is to glue it back, or to replace the areas with new laminates. Good lumber yards (Shell Lumber in Miami) sell laminates of all kinds of woods via sheets, which can be as thin as paper. This allows one to change out whole interiors to other design schemes without tearing out the bones. Yacht yards, and fine furniture woodworkers are well versed in replacing the veneers. If you had been looking at Oriental built boats you would be requiring a great amount of laminate repair due to rot, an issue you don't have with the 4788s.

The 02 model 4788 was the only year Brunswick offered the high gloss in Bayliners. It can also be found in Searays, and the late model Maxum 46 SEs.

Usually people buying pre-owned boats are buying them as vessels to deliver them safely from point A to point B with pleasure and put more attention to important relevent factors such as fuel tanks, blisters, proper working systems vs focussing on minor woodwork issues on price boats. In other words you buy preowned boats to look OUT the windows.

When you consider all boats start out as lines on paper, barrels of resins, rolls of mat, and stacks of plywood, and other materials, then minor issues 10 years later -are just that. Minor issues. Major and minor issues are both repaired as close as the nearest Boat Yard. Best solution to minor interior cosmetic issues is to ignore it, and spend the time studying charts and planning your next adventures. Or stay at home and collect antiques.

Comment

I agree that when buying a preowned vessel you are looking mainly at running gear, overall maintance of all operating systems,a true sea worthly vessel which the 47 is but for what sellers are asking for there boats you expect a certain amount of cosmetic issues to be delt with. My question was basically is this a issue that could be repaired by refinishing a cabinet face or did it need to be replaced.
      2001 4788
      Knott again

Comment

gjkl1776 wrote:
        I agree that when buying a preowned vessel you are looking mainly at running gear, overall maintance of all operating systems,a true sea worthly vessel which the 47 is but for what sellers are asking for there boats you expect a certain amount of cosmetic issues to be delt with. My question was basically is this a issue that could be repaired by refinishing a cabinet face or did it need to be replaced.
        The cabinet doors on the 02 4788s with the high gloss option (which has a history of fogging) are veneered on both sides.. I've seen people just flip them over in the pilothouse. If you've found a 4788- and laminates are your only issue, I would venture to guess you found a pretty nice boat. Better to be a buyer instead of a seller these days. I can hear the "AMENs" from here.

Comment

Working...
        X