South Sound-gctid376250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Sound-gctid376250

This July. the mighty SEA-KING will be pointing it's bow south for the first time since we've owned her - we are going until we get to the bottom of Puget Sound (Olympia) - anyone have any cool hidden places we need to go/see/eat at/ drink at or a cool anchorage shat shouldn't be missed? We started planning last night over a bottle of wine, and decided to put it out there to the fellow BOC for some tips.

I'll be paying attention, as we too have thoughts of heading South this summer.

Comment

A Snohomish invasion of South Sound - we should pool our resources.

Comment

Blake Island State Park if you can get in, very busy.

Quartermaster Harbor between Vashon and Maury Island, either anchor all the way to the end or tie to Dockton King County Park dock

Gig Harbor either anchor or tie to public dock or Arabellas dock, some other options like Tides Tavern dock

Most Southery water way in Tacoma and tie to Dock street marina or others. Dock street is closest to museums and other.

Jarrells Cove either anchor or tie to dock

Olympia tie to dock, several choices

Longbranch dock in Fillicy (sp) Bay or anchor

Penrose state park dock-watch depths

Fairharbor marina

Shelton, up the long canal

Some of these places have reciprocity docks (i.e. Shelton, Olympia, etc.)

Use Waggoner for best places to anchor
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Lots of great destinations down south. We usually go north ourselves.
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

any tips for making the cruise up to Shelton? I was looking at the charts, and it looks like some local knowledge would be helpful.

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
              Blake Island State Park if you can get in, very busy.

Quartermaster Harbor between Vashon and Maury Island, either anchor all the way to the end or tie to Dockton King County Park dock

Gig Harbor either anchor or tie to public dock or Arabellas dock, some other options like Tides Tavern dock

Most Southery water way in Tacoma and tie to Dock street marina or others. Dock street is closest to museums and other.

Jarrells Cove either anchor or tie to dock

Olympia tie to dock, several choices

Longbranch dock in Fillicy (sp) Bay or anchor

Penrose state park dock-watch depths

Fairharbor marina

Shelton, up the long canal
              Spot on suggestions. We did a similar trip last summer and had a great time. While we might search a bit in the SJ's for anchorage, it was never a problem down there. Some State Park docks (Jarrel Cove) we had all to ourselves.

I would add for Olympia - we crept down the longest no-wake zone ever in West Bay to find no power at the docks. Great location for exploring town, but we were looking for a few more creature comforts. We ended up over in East Bay at Swantown guest moorage and really enjoyed it. It's a bit of a hike into Oly, but we celebrated our Anniversary at the nearby Woodfire Grill and had impeccable service and food. Not inexpensive but it was worth it. Great views at sunset.

Next time we might spend a day at Tacoma and hoof it up to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium.

And watch out for the flying pigs.

Comment

In addition to what others have said

* If you go into Olympia, you MUST be in the channel. Don't run aground!

* Do not boat north of Fox island, a bridge and too shoal

* Avoid the Nisqually flats completely, see chart.

* There is a nasty sand bar west side of Squaxin Island, connects to Squaxin, just south of Hope Island, see chart, avoid.

* Eagle island between McNeil and Anderson is cool, see pic, follow channel markers, tide charts

* Fair Harbor Marina, hands down the cleanest I've been to, has power, showers, great owners, fuel. My slip is here

Now for food!! I live near and love Gig Harbor, public dock, no power, has a pump out tho, portolets and public restrooms that close at night, no showers. First come first serve docking. Best cheeseburger, short walk to Kelly's. Better than Bennihana, Mizu, a bit further of a walk, awesome. Red Rooster for breakfast. Green Turtle, have not been there, good reports, its near Tides Tavern. Tides Tavern, so so food. The town is great to stroll through.

There is an Anthony's in Olympia, they have a dock.

If you loop all the way around and head towards Allyn, Bubbas burger stand just sold to new owners. Good grub and open a lot. Lenard K's, tavern food, Harley motorcycles outfront on week end. Live music. Two Margiritas, good mexican food. See charts, shoal in Allyn, near the public dock, although is large and almost always empty.

You didn't ask about food, but thought I'd give you a heads up in case.

Boston Harbor for fuel, with 5% US Boat discount.

As other suggested, Wagoners....

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/680968=27197-out on the boat.jpg[/img]

Comment

Great picture. Eagle Island - I'll have to check that out.

Comment

penguin wrote:
                    Do not boat north of Fox island, a bridge and too shoal

No problems there if you pay attention - I have gone under bridge without problem when it was a bit snotty and the north side of island was protected
                    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

kwb wrote:
                      No problems there if you pay attention - I have gone under bridge without problem when it was a bit snotty and the north side of island was protected
                      Agreed, just watch your charts and depth sounder.
                      Started boating 1965

Comment

Fox Island is easy but the reef just north of Longbranch requires some chartwork.
                        1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I would avoid Pitt Passage (between McNeil Island and Key Peninsula/entrance to Filucy Bay,. This can be a great way to avoid a ton of rotten weather on SE side of McNeil and Fox Island. The short cut under the Fox I bridge and then through Pitt Passage has saved us on many occasions. Do not go through there unless you know the secret route and have done it before with dingy and sounder. The secret route is not for the faint of heart, but when facing 6-8 foot seas on the alternative route to Longbranch from the Tacoma Narrows, a little shallow water and greatly lower winds and seas is a blessing. See map below for Pitt Passage's location. Again do not take this route. The secret route is not clear from the charts, even which side of Pitt Island is not clear from the charts, or the route you take on either end of Pitt island. It can be a fun route to check in the dingy tho and you may get lucky with clams on the very large sand bar close by.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=...64&datum=nad83
                          Started boating 1965

Comment

I avoid Pitt at very low tides, but other then that have not had any problems as long as you watch the chart and sounder close. It is one that you need to keep your eyes open on though.

Comment

Add to list Bosten Harbor a fun small marina with a large amount of live aboards

Dock street marina Tacoma lots to see and do and street car toget you there free of charge

Anchor at Cutts Island and row to shore

Joemma State park dock rarely is crowded though be careful since it has no protection from the wind and waves

Gig Habor nice little harbor my First Mate just loves

We were just at Fox Island last weekend with raft of 30 boats

If you belong to yacht club with receiprocity with other clubs you can add the docks at many diffrent clubs in South Sound to the list.

Comment

Working...
                              X