And I thought boat prices had stabilized-gctid375996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I thought boat prices had stabilized-gctid375996

Maybe I do not know any history on this one but it sure looks cheeeeeep. And I thought I bought mine cheap! Well never mind, at least I know mine runs and floats.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987.../United-States

Wow!!

Comment

Rising oil prices uncertain economy. Risinig maintenance costs people still losing their jobs. No i dont think things have stabilized
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

bobsyiruncle wrote:
        Maybe I do not know any history on this one but it sure looks cheeeeeep. And I thought I bought mine cheap! Well never mind, at least I know mine runs and flaots.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987.../United-States
        looks like a nice boat if it runs it would be great buy

Comment

For $15,000 you could afford to re-power.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

For $15K you could afford to do just about anything, if the basic hull is sound.

Comment

My stars what a price. That's what - about a 5k move to the West Coast ?

Comment

Speaking of rebuild - we have not gone as far as one other sector - since they just do not make any more Norseman bush planes and a few other tried and true designs, there is a practice in that business such that if you happen to lay your hands on the serial number plate - it is actually all you need to create a legal rebuild. This comes in part because of regulations making new planes much more expensive than rebuilt ones.

So if manufacturing bigger boats ever gets any more impossible and if I ever have to part my boat out - maybe I should saw out the serial number and save it for my grandchildren.

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                  For $15,000 you could afford to re-power.
                  Why re-power?

EH 700s with 800 hours.

If you can verify that is the correct hr meter reading; they are barely loosened up It will go 15 kts and likely consume 15 gph at that speed

Comment

Owner sure isn't building value with his name choice (Yugo of the Sea) is he? No wonder Bayliners get a bad rap- if a owner paints that on the transom!

Machines depreciate in time that's for sure- go ask owner of a 1987 Ferrari or Cadillac it's current value vs original.

He obviously wants to sell her quick, and like the old saying goes "the only difference between For Sale and Sold is solely the price".

Personally If I was selling her, I would remove the name. If I was the owner I would DONATE it!!!

A broker here in Ft. Lauderdale recently asked me to come look at a yacht he had listed-it's name is "Hard Life"...the first thing I told him to do was to CHANGE THE NAME to "Easy Life".. as nobody want's to buy a used boat that implies a life of hard wear and tear do they?

Comment

I remember this Boat being for sale in late 2009 when I was looking at 38s. I think it was priced at $60,000, and my thoughts on the name was the owner must of had a bad experience with the boat. Everyone that was around when Yugos were on the roads know their reputation, change the name & increase the price may generate some interest. Boats priced way low scare me when I know nothing of their history.
                      Capt. Ron.
                      "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
                      "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
                      1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
                      Hino EH700
                      Westerbeke 8.0
                      1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
                      on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

kwjennings wrote:
                        Why re-power?

EH 700s with 800 hours.

If you can verify that is the correct hr meter reading; they are barely loosened up It will go 15 kts and likely consume 15 gph at that speed
                        15 gallons per HOUR is that correct ?

Comment

1 mpg would be about right.

But I know personally if you want economy you can get over 4 mpg with this boat. I suspect it could be 5 on a steady run.

You just have to go sloooow.

Doug
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned
                          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                            1 mpg would be about right.

But I know personally if you want economy you can get over 4 mpg with this boat. I suspect it could be 5 on a steady run.

You just have to go sloooow.

Doug
                            I like the sound of that better but I am now totally confused but that does not take much :sorrow:

So I am travelling at 15 knots or 17 miles per hour.

So in one hour I am going 17 miles.

1 mile per gallon which works out to 17 gallons per hour x $5.20 per gallon = $88.40 per hour.

17 miles / 1 mpg =17 gallons x $5.20 per gallon = $88.40 per hour

But if I go sloooow I might get 5 mpg so

17 miles / 5 mpg = 3.4 gallons = $17.68 per ? time

So Whos on first and whats on second :worth

Comment

I was going through a boating magazine the other day; I could not believe what they get for new 38' and up yachts, near $500,000 and up base price.
                              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                              Twin 350 GM power
                              Located in Seward, AK
                              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                              X