new arch installed on our 4550-gctid375536

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new arch installed on our 4550-gctid375536

So I had previously started a thread inquiring about replacement radar arches for our 45 here:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...h-for-the-45XX

And this one about removing our old arch:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...5xx-radar-arch

We ended up buying the prefab arch from Atlantic Towers. Shelley was great to work with and even put up with all of my questions. We ordered our arch with the spreader lights, LED anchor light, and hinged mounting system. I debated about the hinged mount but really, the cost is not so much and saves a lot of headaches should we ever have her shipped over land or need to go under an ultra low bridge.

It shipped quickly and arrived at our marina in a big box:

Despite it seemingly big box, it was pretty darn light...around 150 lbs total which was very manageable to put into the back of my pickup to truck over to our dock.

It is quite the process to getting everything put together. In reality it is a very streamlined and intuitive assembly that is very easy to assemble. Reality is though that we spent a good bit of time thinking through each step and going slow. Whereas an experienced crew could probably install one in a few hours, it took us longer than that for sure.

We dry fit everything together a few times to make sure everything was as we needed it before we started cutting and making the final assembly. While the arch is not heavy it is bulky and definitely at least a 2 person job. It worked great for us that we were installing it under a covered slip as we strung a line from the roof supports on each side of the slip and routed it through the top of the arch to hold it roughly in place and make adjusting things easy. In this picture you can see that the arch is dry fit together and if you look close you can see the line running down across the slip from the roof supports and holding the arch up:

The mounting system is pretty well thought out. Here is the forward mount assembly (for the forward most tube of the arch):

The middle pin is a quick release pin and to allow for quick and easy dropping of the arch via the rear hinge mount. Speaking of which, here is the rear mount:

It is basically just a floating through bolt that allows it to pivot/hinge down when the forward quick release pin is taken out.

And here it is all installed:

You can see that it is nowhere near as steep of an angle as the original arch. Our bridge seating was modified some time ago and sits slightly more aft than the factory arrangement (I think it is more aft). The rear arch tube is close to lining up just about perfect with the back of the bridge seating so hopefully we can tie our new bimini and eisenglass into the arch. The boat looks filthy in the close ups of he mounting assemblies as it is where the old arch was mounted so it is all dirty. We are this week getting the boat fully compounded and waxed/detailed from the waterline up to get her looking good.

While the arch is up I am still not done. I am going to run new wiring for the anchor light and spreader lights and will most likely wire up some speaker wires and obviously need to get the radar installed again. So...still some more work to do til she is done but thought I'd get the major part of the install posted here for you all as it may take me a few more weeks to finish up the rewiring due to the boat on the hard getting her fiberglass redone.

One project near done....more projects to follow!
    ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Nice looking arch. I always wondered what the 45 would like with the tube style arch. I think I like it. Definitely something to consider if I ever need to replace mine.

Thanks for sharing.
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Shelly is GREAT to work with! She will send you tickets to the next boat show in your area. I have teh same arch with the quick hinge drop option. I love it. Three years later and the aluminum is still perfect. I wax it once a year. Also, customer service is second to none at Atlantic Towers.
      Tony, Cape Cod, MA
      Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
      1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
      454 Merc Cruisers inboards
      "HOLODECK"
      2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
      www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Thats a very nice looking arch!

The tube style gives the boat a whole new look.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

FINALLY back on the water and able to get the arch all wired up! Still working on new bimini and flybridge enclosure but here are a few pictures. We really like this new arch!!

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/695215=28748-DSCF2491.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/695215=28749-DSCF2509.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/695215=28747-DSCF2516.jpg[/img]

Comment

Looks great Tony!!! I see you found a bow rail too?

I still hav'nt made it back to Don's Salvage yet, sorry. I cant get anyone to go with me and its soooo hot, i need someone to help carry the things i need through the yard.

Comment

Woodsong wrote:
              FINALLY back on the water and able to get the arch all wired up! Still working on new bimini and flybridge enclosure but here are a few pictures. We really like this new arch!!
              That does look nice Tony!

The warm water looks nice as well.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
              https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Glad you all like it- we are very pleased with it and it seems a very good option should one want or need to replace their arch off their 45.

Kevin- warm water is definitely nice!!!

Sloppy- we had the bowrail custom fabricated locally- came out great!

Comment

Working...
                X