Stove/Oven replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stove/Oven replacement

We have the original Princess 3 burner electric on our boat. It still works but looking old and just won't clean up to where my wife is happy so I guess new stove/oven time is approaching.

Any thoughts on best replacement? We do not have propane setup so will probably stay electric. I understand txt the propane is much better to cook with but I am just not a big fan of propane on my boat with the exception of my bbq haha. That is mostly due to past "history" dealing with propane so not a comfort zone for me is all.

I want something that will fit in same size spot without modifications.

Cheers,

Mark
    Last edited by ksanders; 01-14-2018, 06:15 PM.

Whats "looking old and just won't clean up"?

If it's only esthetics, you can buy parts for the old one and make it look new.

I replaced our princess with a Force 10 propane and it's one of the best mod's we've done.

I used propane in uncontained bottles for my BBQ before. Now I have a contained system for the BBQ and range.

Chris

Comment

Why not a new Princess?
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I looked at replacements when we were doing our refit.

You can get a new princess that will drop right in and has a sealed top.

This solves the cleaning issues.

Thats our replacement path, but ours is working fine so I'll wait till it malfunctions.

As far as converting to propane, if you like electric stay with it. If you like propane, convert.

We cook with electric at home so we prefer electric to gas as it is. No logical reason for the preference either.

We use both our stove and oven quite a bit on the boat. Both work just fine. The only limitation is if you are baking your use of the burners is limited.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Our biggest issue with the Princess was that you can't get a large skillet or pot directly over a burner.

Consequently we used a couple of small tabletop butane burners for years.

We didn't make the leap until the Princess died. Long live the Force.

Now we can use the largest pots and pans.we have.

Comment

"Pacrimrat" post=625929 wrote:
            Our biggest issue with the Princess was that you can't get a large skillet or pot directly over a burner.

Consequently we used a couple of small tabletop butane burners for years.

We didn't make the leap until the Princess died. Long live the Force.

Now we can use the largest pots and pans.we have.

[attachment]11498 wrote:
            20130929_185457_2015-02-14.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]11497 wrote:
            20130924_163536.jpg[/attachment]
            Which force range is that do you know?
            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

That Force 10 is a nice looking unit.

Our easiest option is a drop in Princess replacement. One option that has materialized is one of those Wallas Diesel convection oven/ cooktop combo. I believe it is their Model 87D. That way it is just plumbed into one of our fuel tanks.

They are rather pricey I think but if they work well then never have to worry about fuel or having to run the generator. Just a thought.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how well these units work?

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

Force10 63353 3 Burner Gimballed Galley Range North American Compact

http://www.suremarineservice.com/63353.aspx

One reason we went to the trouble of installing LPG is we use a turkey fryer to steam crabs.

I used to carry a 20lb bottle on the FB for the BBQ and then I'd carry it down to the dock or swim platform to cook crab.

Now I have two switchable 20lb bottles in a sealed box the provides the range, BBQ and an additional valve with a 40 foot hose for the crab cooker. If needed I could connect this to my portable propane heater. Haven't done that yet but it's available.

We looked at the Wallas but decided to go with propane. No way to BBQ with diesel so we would still be hauling LPG.

It worked well for the 4 months we were on the boat last summer.

Chris

Comment

Hello,

Funny subject timing.

Just yesterday I replaced the 3 stainless bowls found under each element, one element and one element connectorsee below for costing. I now have a spare element and a spare element connector.

Mine was original equipment. I had rebuilt one years ago for a friend that had bought it second hand for his old Silverton and it literally had a forklift go through the glass door. I had called the company years ago ,and as stated by others everything to rebuild these stoves is available.

On mine I reworked the wood and the stainless to new like condition.

The complete stove is held in place by a tight slide in fit and only 3 screws located at base of stove beneath of door. Easy too see if you get down on your knees and look right at the face of the stove beneath the oven door from the front AND one only 2 inch long screw located on the port side in the centre of the assy ..easy to see when you lift up the top hinged cover that holds all the elements. It is the different one from all the bolt and screw heads you see symetrically on the stbd side.

To replace the complete oven would take less than a couple of hours with the tools n clean up incl.simple philips head screwdriver and whatever is under the cover of the electrical box on the wall. Or better yet leave the existing solid metal jacklet electrical cable in place and just wire it into your new stove.

My below procedure took some 3 1/2 to 4 hours, at a relaxed pace.the Capt' n me had a drink or two later as the Admiral was using her like new tool.

Mine was not too far gone so I just replaced some parts and renewed the stainless and wood surface. The inside of the oven is as new and needed nothing done to it.

Once you remove these 4 wood screws the complete unit will slide out direction aft and up.

If you are going to just replace some parts be careful not to slide this too far aft without jacking up the complete oven and then tilt as you may damage the stainless steel flashing on both sides that sit on top of your counter. The stove needs to be lifted up a bit.

When removing the one of the screws on the side that holds the sliding hinge assy ,to be able to completly take off the two top hinged covers, the lock nut on the oposite hidden side fell .

I realized I needed to get acess to the hidded outsides of the stove where these hinge plates are blind fastened with locknuts, so the 4 wood oven securing screws needed to be removed.

A ( new ) left over 2''od heavy wall rubber tube ( s#it tank hose) placed under the center of the stove to jack it up a little as well as a piece of 2 x 4 to tilt the assy helped me prop the rear of the oven up enough AND off its base to tilt it aft to work removing the nuts on the hidden side of the hinge plate.

I removed both the stainless steel cover with the wood in it and ,the burner holding ,stainless steel cover.

I worked the stainless with a kitchen sponge ( Scotch Brite Heavy duty scrub sponge 4.5" x 2.7 '' x 0.6'' ) that has the green abrasive on one sideit was handy .with this you scrub ( sand) away any tarnish your wife could never remove ,. always rubbing in the same direction of the grain of the stainless.

This allowed for both stainless tops to be renewed ( clean up with alcohol , I used the 99% topical antiseptic stuff in the medicine cabinet we have ).

I ran the vibrating sander over the top of the wood , grit 60, to renew it and then applied a light coat of vegitable oil to bring out the grain after the unit was completely re-assembled and in place.

Hope this helps,

Pete

You sent a payment of $175.26 USD to Sure Marine Service, Inc.

(orders@suremarine.com)

Sure Marine Service, Inc.

orders@suremarine.com

KEY WEST, FL 33040

United States

Shipping details

The seller hasn't provided any shipping details yet.

Description Unit price Qty Amount

72401 Top Front Element 1100W/120V Seaward Repair Part by Whale Marine

Item# 72401 $21.33 USD 2 $42.66 USD

80806 (Old #72404) Connector Block Seaward Repair Part by Whale Marine

Item# 80806 $16.61 USD 2 $33.22 USD

80156 Element Bowl Assy (Old #80155) Seaward Repair Part Whale Marine

Item# 80156 $23.83 USD 3 $71.49 USD

Subtotal $147.37 USD

Shipping and handling $27.89 USD

Total $175.26 USD

Comment

Hi folks! I can certainly understand the swap out of the electric stove, but for us, one of the better kitchen/cooking options I have is an electric frypan/skillet (with a raised glass lid), to supplement the stove.

When I was buying the boat in Florida, a neighbor with another 4788, his wife asked me to get one for them for them, so I bought 2 from Walmart for about $29 each. I needed a 115v appliance, hence buying them stateside, but I have to say the electric frypan gets used far more than the stove. It'll cook most things from stews to roasts, pancakes etc and is quick to heat and easy to clean.

Bon a petite (sp) :-)

Cheers
                    John H
                    Brisbane QLD Aust
                    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thanks for all the great info.

My wife's preference would be to switch to the propane. The stove element setup on the Wallas is a little weird. Just went and looked at one. Only 2 elements but they come on together. When one is on high the other is on medium, if the one is on medium the other is on simmer. Little flexibility here.

As far as replacing some parts I just thought the Princess was 18 years old so thought either do a drop in replace or convert.

I may have to reconsider my reluctance to convert to propane. Good options. Thank you.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

A
                        "Coastrider" post=625946 wrote:
                        That Force 10 is a nice looking unit.

Our easiest option is a drop in Princess replacement. One option that has materialized is one of those Wallas Diesel convection oven/ cooktop combo. I believe it is their Model 87D. That way it is just plumbed into one of our fuel tanks.

They are rather pricey I think but if they work well then never have to worry about fuel or having to run the generator. Just a thought.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how well these units work?

Cheers,

Mark
                        The challenge is that you are going to have to charge the batteries anyway. That happens when we run the generator. Cooking is another thing we do on generator, along with heating hot water.

For us it all ties in together. If we had a stove that required no electricity we still have to do all the other things that we have the generator for.

KEVIN SANDERS
                        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to cooking and our cruising areas and habits differ.

For us we prefer gas. Much better control and instant heat.

Like I said earlier we very seldom used the Princess cooktop but did use the oven.

If we're in an anchorage with other boats nearby I hold off on stating the Westerbeke until a reasonable hour. So for heating coffee water or breakfast we can do it without power.

Sometimes I just use the Honda to charge the batteries and freezer and don't have to listen to the big gen. Besides the charger doesn't need 12.5 KW so why run a 4 cylinder engine.

As far as LPG goes there are several range options. There is a Gas Princess that will fit in the same hole. We just preferred the Force 10 because of the burner layout. I had to cut a bit to fit it in but it didn't take much.

I put my bottles in the FB bar which made for a bit more work running lines and wires. If you put the gas on the port side it's a bit easier.

Chris

Comment

OK what about using inductile cooking systemz? Instant on,and continuously variable ranges. Look at high end cooking systems very practical and a viable alternative for electrical equipped boats. Coupled with a quality toaster oven a very viable alternative?

Robert Cooper

Comment

I switched our 4788 from electric to propane last year. It was easier than I thought. If you want details let me know.
                              Pat
                              Paragon
                              1999 4788

Comment

• ddorsett
                                ddorsett commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Pat-

I am planning out a switchover to propane... I got a great deal on a locker, looking at placing it on port side of flybridge- I can see how to run the line down the port side to the galley access panel, my question is about the locker drain. Where did you put your locker and how does it drain?

Thanks,
                                Dave
                            Working...
                            X