rudders for 4788-gctid374041

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rudders for 4788-gctid374041

Has anyone replaced the rudders on a 4788 with the larger spade rudders? I just re-powered my 1996 4788 with re-manufactured Cummings 370's and need new rudders! I took older 315's out

"Has anyone replaced the rudders on a 4788 with the larger spade rudders?"

I did not know there was a larger rudder for the 4788.

Are the old ones beyond repair for some reason?
    Northport NY

Comment

the rudders on the 49 meridian were bigger,,i don't know when the change was made..why not call the manufacturer,,,,marine hardware in redmond washington at 206-883-0651..
      84-38,,86-38,,89-45,,97-47,,99-47,,01-47,,05-540,, 04-411 meridian and 11 others,, all gone ,,now 04 -490 ,,sidney,,vancouver island.

Comment

Some guys take their rudders in to a propeller shop and have them increase the surface area -- I'm not sure of the cost and which shops specialize in it. Might be worth looking into. Good luck. Rick
        Rick
        2002, 3788

Comment

When i pirchased my 3988 the rudders had alot of corrosion after one season i purchased new ones from marine hardware. The previous rudders also had poor handling characteristics at slow speeds like in the marina.

Marine hardware suggested i install the large rudders the put on the 4788. Refered to as barn door rudders. After the install of the new rudders slow speed handling improved greatly and I noticed no negative effects at any speed. Slow speed steering in the wind was a much better experience
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

The OEM recommended a larger High speed spade rudder> Had several testimonials from 4788 owners raving about the increase in slow speed performance in quartering sea conditions. I ordered a set for $1279 us and it will take 3-4 weeks. My old rudder posts were badly corroded above the packing gland nut> I suspect a bonding wire that was off and a bad electrolysis issue at my old marina. Thanks for all the help! I have recent hands on experience with a cummings 315 to 370 re-power if any one needs any help.

Comment

Install 5" zincs on the rudders, also, when bonding the rudders you must bond the rudder post/shaft, not just the packing gland.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I don't understand why the engineers would put these silly little rudders on in the first place. Is there a good reason? do big rudders cause poor slow speed twin engine manouvres? do big rudders cause dangerous swerves at speed ? They seem counter intuitive. Perhaps a marine engineer can help

Comment

Working...
                X