32xx stuffing box packing?-gctid343958

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32xx stuffing box packing?-gctid343958

I've been very fortunate with our boat in that I've never had any problems with the stuffing boxes. As far as I know, they are original with original packing (1 1/4" shafts). I've had to snug the glands up a tad a couple of times to keep the bilges dry but I consider that normal. However, all good things eventually come to an end and it crossed my mind that perhaps I should get some spare packing just in case the end comes at an inconvenient time. Does anyone know the manufacturer of these boxes and the type and size of packing used?

I can tell you that my 1988 3218 with one and a quarter inch shafts use one quarter inch packing, not sure about yours. Good luck Jeff

Comment

1/4" is the most common size in all but some very old boats, I would buy the PTFE (teflon)/flax type of packing.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I agree with the previous posts- 1/4''. With that said, if you do a search there are some great threads that provide tips for replacing the packing. Like ofsetting the ends and using diagonal cuts. Also compressing each layer of packing so as to ensure each layer will fit. One of the best suggestions that was given to me was to use a piece of pipe (i used a large socket) to compress and flatten the material prior to inserting it.

christopher

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Yes - diagonal cuts & offsetting the joins is the important way to go.

Mine was 1/4"

I recently replaced my packing in the stffing boxes while in the water. It was a lot of fun, a heart-rate checkout & a good motivator to check out the bilge pumps. But really worth doing on a marina just in case you decide to do it on an extended cruise.

There's a previous post I used which gave really good info on the length of each circle & how many needed etc.

The most needed item is a ''pick'' to get the old stuff out. The quicker you do that the better. Getting the new packing in is relatively simple after that.

This link shows a useful little pick that the author made. I used a sharp scriber that I had & came in sideways on an angle. But it's a job I've done a couple of times before.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box
            Bay Seeker
            1994 3288

Comment

Very good link. Many thanks!

Do you recall how many circles are required, and their length? Also, after the packing nut is moved forward on the shaft, what kind of water flow should I expect to be entering the boat? If it is considerable perhaps a temporary seal could be made with a few wraps of rubber tape or the like around the shaft and stuffing box body, but there isn't a lot of room to work with to get the packing out and in.

Comment

You will need three rings of packing with bevel cuts staggered around the shaft. You can use the shaft as a template to cut the material. In addition to the bent pick or awl, I found a pair of 45 or 90 degree angle long handled needle nose pliers very helpful--both to extract the old material and to push/tap each new row into place. It took quite a bit of digging and pulling to get my old hardened flax out. A rag wrapped around the stuffing box slowed down the water flow. If you need a break mid way, you can always thread the packing nut back on to slow the water flow. I wouldn't hesitate to do it with the boat in the water. my $0.02. Rick
                Rick
                2002, 3788

Comment

Robert, I would also check that the cooling water hose that comes off the exhaust manifold is not blocked with rust scale or other debris. When you remove the hose, there should be a small but steady stream of water coming out of the fitting on the stuffing box.

Comment

Anyone know offhand what size wrenches are required for the 32xx stuffing box? I know you can use pipe wrenches - but I was gonna see if I can get a set of offset pump wrenches to fit....

Thx

Comment

Nikko wrote:
                      Anyone know offhand what size wrenches are required for the 32xx stuffing box? I know you can use pipe wrenches - but I was gonna see if I can get a set of offset pump wrenches to fit....

Thx
                      They are 2 3/8" on my boat.

Marine Hardware in Anacortes, Wa. has a bunch in their back room. Really cheap. I think I paid under $5 each. They are about 8.5" long.

If you buy them on Saturday it's even cheaper. As I recall it's 25% or 30% cheaper on Saturday.

Comment

Well, I only needed one large pipe wrench & one large shifting pliers ( not sure of the technical term ) they were just what I have.

The pipe wrench is quite difficult to use on the lock-nut due to it's thinness & the wrench's thickness. The pipe wrench however is great for the larger packing nut if you have trouble with the lock-nut - it will also grip the bronze body of the nut giving you space the get to grips with the thin lock-nut.

On mine the locknuts were seriously jammed or over-tightened & it took me extra time. Maybe step one is to back-off the lock nut the day before or earlier than planned just to make sure that they'll move when you are all set to do the job.
                        Bay Seeker
                        1994 3288

Comment

gmau wrote:

Marine Hardware in Anacortes, Wa. has a bunch in their back room. Really cheap. I think I paid under $5 each. They are about 8.5" long.

If you buy them on Saturday it's even cheaper. As I recall it's 25% or 30% cheaper on Saturday.
                          Do they have sales on Saturday?

Not that I can wait, I need them before my journey starts Thursday.

Comment

You can also use a standard plumbers pud wrench (2)

Comment

gmau wrote:

I went there Wwednesday and bought a couple for $4.00 each.

They fit mine too, but mine are not budging, they are all green from oxidation. I dripped some kroil on them and today I'll try with some pipe extensions on the wrenches.

By the way, mine was dripping pretty good (starboard side) before my trip from Lake Union to Blaine and now it is squirting to the tune of the bilge pump comes on every 5 minutes. I wrapped it with that self mending rubber magic tape from walmart and now it barely drips. Thats a temporary bandaid until I work on it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X