what metal bolts???-gctid373859

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what metal bolts???-gctid373859

we need to replace the bolts for the transome bonding zinc... what type of metal should be used.. its limited here in town what we can get????

I have always used bronze for transom zinc bolts, washers and nuts to attach to the boat bonding system. A haul out yard should have these, especially one supporting the fishing fleet. You need multiple nuts and washers per bolt.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Bronze or stainless, I use all thread rod and fender washers on the hull and std washers and 2 nuts between the hull and the zinc as well as a washer and 2 nuts on the aft of the zinc. Reason for 2 nuts between the hull and zinc is to provide the maximum surface area exposed on the zinc. I hace never had a problem using stainless on the zinc, just as the shaft and rudder and trim tab bolts are Stainless.

The all thread also allowes you to connect your bonding wires on the interior without removing a bolt.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
        I have always used bronze for transom zinc bolts, washers and nuts to attach to the boat bonding system. A haul out yard should have these, especially one supporting the fishing fleet. You need multiple nuts and washers per bolt.
        +1 no stainless on these

Comment

I have used stainless on my transom zincs since 1973 with absolutely no problems.
          Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
          Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
          Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
          MMSI: 338030604

Comment

The ship chandlery in Juneau should have everything you need, 1000 Harbor Way.

Go with stainless all thread, I have worked on and installed zincs on boats since 1994, never saw bronze bolts (all thread), and they are spendy.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
              The ship chandlery in Juneau should have everything you need, 1000 Harbor Way.

Go with stainless all thread, I have worked on and installed zincs on boats since 1994, never saw bronze bolts (all thread), and they are spendy.
              thats Juneau Electronics now... Chandlers is gone and has been a long time..

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:
                thats Juneau Electronics now... Chandlers is gone and has been a long time..
                It has been a long time since I visited Juneau, I bought my 28' Tollycraft troller in 1993 in Hoona, flew in to Juneau first.

You might try a hardware store for the stainless threaded rod-washers and nuts. I know that in Seward both hardware stores have an assortment of SS threaded rod, I would think that there would be someone that has the 3/8" threaded rod, if not maybe someone closer could mail one to you, Fisheries supply has 3/8 x 16 SS rod.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

thank you, the Capt found the bolts we needed in the local hardware and boat store a few blocks from the drydock.. its a plumbing store and they have half the store with marine items... worked perfect and she was put back in the water today at 4..

:worth:worth

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:
                    thank you, the Capt found the bolts we needed in the local hardware and boat store a few blocks from the drydock.. its a plumbing store and they have half the store with marine items... worked perfect and she was put back in the water today at 4..

:worth:worth
                    Happy fishing, I will be back in Seward late may for a haul out, then fishing.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                    Twin 350 GM power
                    Located in Seward, AK
                    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I broke down and bought new manifolds and risers for both engines last week, they arrived today. Now the fun begins actually replacing them. I have done this on automotive installations many times but never on a boat with the engines still in place. Any recommendations on what not to do? The inboards are relatively accessible but the outside of the engines are very tight. This is a Volvo (small block chev) 305. I just don't want to snap a bolt on the outside bank since the next thing would be engine removal to get it out. It will be a socket on a breaker bar for the outside and impact tools on the inboards. Anybody have any other suggestions? :surr

Comment

Use nickle or copper antisize on the new bolts, NAPA should have both.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

We use superlube paste on those outside metal threads with good results.

There are varied opinions on the use of metallic antiseizing compunds in areas of potential galvanic activity.

Hope this helps
                          Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                          X