Build a trailer for a 3870 newly purchased-gctid373516

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a trailer for a 3870 newly purchased-gctid373516

I just bought a 1986, Bayliner 3870, and am going to build a trailer to bring it home. I am needing a diagram that provides the dimensions, of the hull so I can determine the layout of the trailer. Unfortunately, it is about 7 hrs away, and I am unable to make measurements in person. If anyone would direct me as to where I can view this, it would be deeply appreciated. Thanks, Doug

You should post this in the Motoryacht forum. We have a member that trailers his all over. He may see it and respond.

You will love your new boat.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

One time move or is this going to be used regularly?

I built a trailer for mine but is a yard trailer - no springs, axle/tires are overgrossed a bit, keel is off the ground by a long ways, never goes faster than ~8mph or further than 1000' at a time. With a fair amount of freebies in the build materials I was ~7K and that was DIY for all of the fab and welding.

If you are moving once - have a pro boat mover do it. If you need a yard trailer for annual haul out (or every weekend haulout) but want to do over the road long haul duty - don't do it.

If you are going to do long moves on a regular basis - then that is another story.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I already own a tri -axle (3x 7500# axles) trailer, but need to custom fit it for the haul. I'm a do it myselfer, and have the necessary equipment to pull it myself,however this will definately be the biggest I have moved. I have already checked on the permits, and all the other necessities, and am confident I can do it myself.

Comment

There is a guy out of Montana I think that hauls a big boat here on boc. Some one might be able post his name and you can look him up. I think he hauls a 38 but I could be wrong on that
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

So I did a search and the guys boc name is incommunicado. Ping him im sure.he.can give you lots of insight.
            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

I think he lives in Wyoming but no matter. Send him a PM and I am sure he will respond.

Doug
              Started boating 1955
              Number of boats owned 32
              Bayliners
              3870 presently owned
              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I may be mistaken, but I think I remember having a Bayliner manual for a Victoria , that had a drawing with measurements in it that would give the information necessary to set your trailer to the boat. Would there be anyone that may have such a schematic or diagram in there 3870 manual. Thanks

Comment

there isn't any information like that in the owners manual that I found. I spent a lot of time with level, straight edge, and tape measure.

There are "sling" tags mounted just below rub rail.

Take a page from how the boat is blocked and support along the keel as much as you can and use pads out wider to balance it.
                  1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                  1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                  Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Bill doesn't post on the BOC much these days-I'll call him and let him know about this thread.

Comment

PMP Daddy wrote:
                      I just bought a 1986, Bayliner 3870, and am going to build a trailer to bring it home. I am needing a diagram that provides the dimensions, of the hull so I can determine the layout of the trailer. Unfortunately, it is about 7 hrs away, and I am unable to make measurements in person. If anyone would direct me as to where I can view this, it would be deeply appreciated. Thanks, Doug
                      I have a good friend that has built over 25 trailers for 38 Bayliners, as well as many other Bayliners and other boats up to about 50 feet. These were not generally road approved trailers but for storage and ramp launching and retrieval. I believe he has retired and another gent in our club builds them using the old plans. If you send me your email address I can put you in touch. I suspect he still has his measurements as he did all his design on his PC.
                      Started boating 1965
                      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Many of the trailers that I have seen use similar permanently mounted adjustable stands to support the boat as you might find in a yard. The weight is on the keel. The side supports are positioned in the same areas that you will find an internal bulkhead so that the hull is reinforced where ever a stand pad will contact. I have seen similar set ups on professional transports for boats. You can check out their websites for ideas. This would enable you to make the trailer and do the final adjustment after the boat is on board and before the slings are removed.
                        Patrick and Patti
                        4588 Pilothouse 1991
                        12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                        M/V "Paloma"
                        MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Doug, our 38 is sitting on a trailer in the barn & I can get any measurements that you want, just give me direction. She won't be splashed for a few weeks.

With that said, I would be a little concerned with a 3 x 7500 lb axles. Our trailer is a 5th wheel setup, with the last trip having 28,000 lbs on the rear axles and 6,000 on the 5th wheel. Granted my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs, but I would be concerned about the 21,000 lb axle capacity and especially concerned about the tire capacity, because that is usually the weak link.

Any questions, please email me

Bill
                          Bill
                          1993 3888 with Hino 210s
                          2005 Selene 55

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                            Bill doesn't post on the BOC much these days-I'll call him and let him know about this thread.
                            So, I guess I won't call Bill.....

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                              So, I guess I won't call Bill.....
                              A little slow Pete you were beat by a member's email
                              Bill
                              1993 3888 with Hino 210s
                              2005 Selene 55

Comment

Working...
                              X