Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Panel-gctid373136

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Solar Panel-gctid373136

    Hey there fellow boaters...traded an old Webasto furnace for a not so old pretty large solar panel. It says it will make five or six amps and when I hook a multi-meter to it, it produced about 20 volts. So I gues that means I need a regulator. I have already set the diodes to not drain the batteries at night. I am not sure where to place the panel...its about five feet long. And I don't know exactly the best way to wire it. Let's talk!!! Would love to start a discussion about the different mounting places, regulator setup and wiring to batteries.

    I have a 1992 3288 with Hino 150s and porable generator. I want the panel so when I spend my two weeks cruising from Halifax to the Mahone Bay area I can run stuff without having to start the Honda 2000.

    Thanks,

    Rob Gordon

    #2
    I suggest you read this post:

    http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...ers-great-site!!!

    Comment


      #3
      Rob Gordon wrote:
      Hey there fellow boaters...traded an old Webasto furnace for a not so old pretty large solar panel. It says it will make five or six amps and when I hook a multi-meter to it, it produced about 20 volts. So I gues that means I need a regulator. I have already set the diodes to not drain the batteries at night. I am not sure where to place the panel...its about five feet long. And I don't know exactly the best way to wire it. Let's talk!!! Would love to start a discussion about the different mounting places, regulator setup and wiring to batteries.

      I have a 1992 3288 with Hino 150s and porable generator. I want the panel so when I spend my two weeks cruising from Halifax to the Mahone Bay area I can run stuff without having to start the Honda 2000.

      Thanks,

      Rob Gordon
      Read the guide that I posted in the link that Lolar provided. It will provide you guidance on all of the stuff you need.

      Mounting is very important. You've got to pick a mounting spot that has zero shadows or obstructions between the panel and the sun. Any type of shadow -- even a small line from a flagpole will cut 60-80% of the power off your panel. Don't compromise here. My boat has a similar style to yours (just smaller) -- you can see where and how I've mounted mine here: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...ghlight=awning

      My other recommendation is to get yourself a good battery monitor that can measure both the Amps in and out. It takes all of the guesswork out of wondering if your batteries are charged or not. I use the TriMetric one from Bogart Engineering (about $200 for the kit including the wiring and shunt).

      You should be able to enjoy your cruise without using your generator -- it also sounds like you're planning on moving every few days so your batteries will also get topped up by your engine alternators. We go 7-10 days at a time and never use a genny -- don't even own one.
      Terry
      1999 Bayliner 3388
      Twin Cummins 4BTA
      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

      Comment


        #4
        I have two 20W panels mounted on the top of the radararch. These are connected to a MaxPower regulator in the cave connected to four 6 volts batteries. The batteries is the type that is used on electric lifts and such. Better that anything else.

        Last summer I made a test. I have a new 130L fridge. Didin┬┤t shut it of for three weeks. Always cold beers and full batteries when arriving to the boat. Don┬┤t have access to shorepower so this is great for me.

        When using the boat and the weather is ok/good the two 20W is enough. Use a little stereo. No TV and all lamps are LED. Will add a extra 50W panel this year that I just will put out when needed.

        The two 20W are only 3mm thick and have no aluminumframe. Bought on ebay from China

        Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/680915=27190-P7270694.jpg[/img]

        Comment


          #5
          3288Sweden wrote:
          I have two 20W panels mounted on the top of the radararch. These are connected to a MaxPower regulator in the cave connected to four 6 volts batteries. The batteries is the type that is used on electric lifts and such. Better that anything else.

          Last summer I made a test. I have a new 130L fridge. Didin┬┤t shut it of for three weeks. Always cold beers and full batteries when arriving to the boat. Don┬┤t have access to shorepower so this is great for me.

          When using the boat and the weather is ok/good the two 20W is enough. Use a little stereo. No TV and all lamps are LED. Will add a extra 50W panel this year that I just will put out when needed.

          The two 20W are only 3mm thick and have no aluminumframe. Bought on ebay from China
          Are you sure these are only 20 watts? That's less than 4 amps total?

          Comment


            #6
            lolar3288 wrote:
            Are you sure these are only 20 watts? That's less than 4 amps total?
            Yes they are only 20W each.

            Earlier I used to have a Sea Ray 400 Sundancer and a 50W panel with the same regulator and batterybank. Sunny days that was enough to stay out without using the generator. Think I spend five days in a row without using gen or shorepower.

            That one had lots of more electric stuff. Toiletpumps, big fridge, stereo, no LED lights etc.

            Have used solarpanels for three years. I have other friends that buys more batteries and bigger generators. I tell them they are idiots

            One special thing with the Max Power regulator is that compared to many other regulators is converts the "high volts" to power instead of just bringin the voltage down

            Comment

            Working...
            X