1989 bayliner3218-gctid372478

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 bayliner3218-gctid372478

how many hours should it take to take out and replace starboard gas tank on 3218 bayliner.

Hello and welcome to BOC.

You will get more response if you post this in the Motoryacht section. These boats are talked about there more than in the General forums.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:

You will get more response if you post this in the Motoryacht section. These boats are talked about there more than in the General forums.

Doug
      ???????
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

doscogosine wrote:
        how many hours should it take to take out and replace starboard gas tank on 3218 bayliner.
        dmcb wrote:

You will get more response if you post this in the Motoryacht section.

Doug
        He is in the right spot Doug, correct? I'm sure someone who has done it will offer an experienced opinion. You might want to clarify your question though. How many hours for who? You or a marine mechanic or? Just a thought. And make sure you do any maintenance on that side of the starboard engine while out given the limited space for such work when installed.

Comment

It was in General. Someone moved it.

Come on guys, I am not that senile. Yet. (smile)

Or maybe it wasn't and I am.

Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned

Comment

You can find quite a bit of information by searching the forums. Here's one good thread:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...-tank-3288-gas

Comment

It all depend on how mechanical you are and how far you can push yourself. If you have a new tank ready to go in and you are young and ambitious I would say 3 days. one day to pull the engine one day to remove and replace tank and set the engine back in place and one day to button up align and to the things that you would like to do with the engine out

Comment

Have you thought of cutting open the hull and pulling it out the side?

I believe its been done on this site. A decent fibreglass guy, and you'd never know it had been cut open.

Just a thought - way faster and cheaper

Comment

Unfortenatley starboard side is the "hard" side. At least on my 3288 -94(v8) it was not possible to get the tank out in one piece. I had to cut it in two parts. No problem for me as I planned to make the tanks smaller anyway.

I was able to remove the engine with the manifold and risers on but it┬┤s very tight and you will need the right lifting gear.

You should also be prepared that the wood under the tank might need to be replaced. As i understand it┬┤s sometimes rutten due to water leaks. Mine was ok.

Remowing engines goes pretty fast with the right lift equipment. Replacing tank on barboard side I would say one day, one and a half including engine lift out/in and everything around. Murphys law is not included in that time!

Starboard side is another story. You need to flush the tank and such before cutting it.

For the engine takeout and getting it back it┬┤s very good to be two persons. As you know the engines are placed a bit under the deck and needs to go out/in and it┬┤s very tight against the shaft etc.

Due to timecalculation I would say that I┬┤m more of an mechanic than amateur.

Here┬┤s a link to my project http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...ght=3288Sweden

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                    It was in General. Someone moved it.

Come on guys, I am not that senile. Yet. (smile)

Or maybe it wasn't and I am.

Doug
                    See your point. On the otherhand I thought you might have been 'sundowning'. :kidding

Shallow Boy wrote:
                    Have you thought of cutting open the hull and pulling it out the side?

I believe its been done on this site. A decent fibreglass guy, and you'd never know it had been cut open.

Just a thought - way faster and cheaper
                    I thought the thread on this was pretty cool but thought there was comment of 2 grand of glass work. Looked a lot simpler. Might be remembering it wrong.

3288Sweden wrote:
                    Unfortenatley starboard side is the "hard" side. At least on my 3288 -94(v8) it was not possible to get the tank out in one piece. I had to cut it in two parts. [/url]
                    Scanned your link but missed why the starboard tank had to be cut in half? Is that to come out the deck hatch or? Nice work by the way.

Comment

Its possable Dean. I could be the last to know.

Something to think about. Twin anything is like a pair of shoes. if something happens to one shoe, the other has been subjected to the same conditions. Usually.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned

Comment

To answer your question in a word. Lots.

Unless you are prepared to take the tank out is small pieces the engine and gear have to come out first. Even then it's a tight fit between the engine bed stringers and the hull and deck head. If you are asking to see if any estimates are reasonable there are so many factors that could alter the time required that the range could be significant. If you're not doing it yourself, just go to a reputable shop, pay by the hour, and it takes what it takes.

Comment

Working...
                        X