Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the site with new to me 3988-gctid371990

Hi all,

We picked up a 2000 3988 in February. She's got cummins 270's (~500 hrs), hardtop, sidepower bow and stern thrusters,1000 watt inverter,one electric head. old electronics and everything else i believe is what was standard for that year.

Especially would love to know any hard learned leasons you all might have with this model,engines,genset,etc

Couple things I need to work on right now. The master head is a tecma eco flush tthats currently giving the tanks full warning even though its empty(verified). the upper helm bow thruster joystick is not working. many of the

door/drawer pulls need either adjusting or replacing.

I'd like to get a spare remote for the thrusters but they are pricy. anyone know of off brand ones that work?

at some point i would like to install an autopilot. suggestions on whats worked and what hasn't would be appreciated

other than that we're loving the boat and really looking forward to summer.

-Keaver
    2000 Bayliner 3988 270hp Cummins 6BTA5.9M1
    1996 Cobalt 252 Mercruiser 383

If you fill out your bio we'll know where you are boating which might narrow down some answers for suppliers etc. The thrusters, toilet and inverter are add-ons. 1000 watts is light for that boat unless you cruise dock to dock. The weakest link in the engines is the Sherwood raw water pumps. They seldom make it past 500 hours before leaking. A rebuild is costly and Sherwood replacements are prohibitive. I have two Sherwoods available since I replaced mine with SeaMax pumps. The genny is noisy and your neighbours will benefit from a water separating muffler. Centex is one brand. If they are noot already installed, you can cut storage lockers into the cockpit sides to the right of the door and to the left of the ladder. You can see some examples of storage lockers on 39's for sale on Yachtworld.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Yes! Let us know where you are.. You'll enjoy your 39. You'll really like autopilot. It changes your day at the wheel being totally attentive to a nice relaxing cruise. A picture of your hartop would be very much appreciated.

Chris

Comment

I have the raymarine 6000 autopilot installed at the lower station and have added the raymarine wireless remote so I can also control the autopilot from the upper station.

The wireless emote works very well, so far I have resisted the urge to try it from the dock.:hypnotysed:
        "Adios Dinero"
        1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
        Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

We have a baby due in June so for this summer we will mostly be cruising dock to dock.

We have the storage lockers and yes they are a very nice addition.

The raw water pumps are being replaced next week as well as a few other engine/genset maintenance items.

We're moored on Lake Washington. This summer we plan to spend a fair amount of time in the San Juans, Gulf Islands and maybe Desolation Sound.

I'll get some shots of the boat and post them soon.

Comment

Keaver, welcome to the zoo. I would also suggest you join IBoatNW.com. We are all local boaters there and have lots of knowledge of the area and such. If you are interested, we have a cruise to Bremerton memorial day weekend coming up. Join us and meet some local PNW boaters... See the Cruise forum on IBoatNW for more info...

COngrats on the new baby too!
            Doug ;}
            MMSI: 338068776
            "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I am also new to the 3988. We actually take delivery on the 29th. Good luck on the boat, may see you on the water....our boat is named " Bodacious"

cheers, Gary

Comment

My 3988 has a Simrad AP3000X autopilot with controls on both helms and I couldn't imagine cruising without it. GL with your new baby

Regards

Comment

Welcome aboard Keaver !

Comment

Welcome, Keaver! You'll love this site- great folks and info. I work on Mercer Island- small world, eh?

Comment

Someone requested photos of the hardtop. Here they are.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/682798=27427-hardtop1.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/682798=27428-hardtop2.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/682798=27429-hardtop3.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/682798=27430-hardtop4.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/682798=27431-hardtop5.jpg[/img]

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos. I like the look, and the extra space offered at the rear of the bridge.

cheers

Comment

Congrats on the purchase, you will enjoy the 3988. We picked one up a year ago and love it... I installed a Kabola diesel heater and it really helps with creature comforts. See you on the water.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X