• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatbum
    started a topic EH700 raw water pump replacement-gctid598297

EH700 raw water pump replacement-gctid598297

Hi there, I have a 38XX with a rather tired raw water pump,

I hear that the Kashiyama pump is no longer made and I have searched the forums but cannot find anything relating to a replacement to the standard EH700 pump.

Can anyone one help me with a retro fit pump that will "bolt straight on"???

• Kiwi Marine Services
    replied
    I can supply a rebuild kit for these pumps with new water seals, lip seal, impeller, and bearings. These can be fitted with no machining or adaption of the pump body and allows you to keep your original pump. I understand the major problem with these pumps is the water seal is now obsolete rendering the whole pump obsolete if it is leaking from the shaft seal. You can contact me at kiwimarineservices@xtra.co.nz for more details. You can get your engineer to install the kit or you can easily do it yourself if you do your own maintenance. The kit and installation is a fraction of the cost of trying to adapt an aftermarket pump to fit the engine or doing expensive machining to adapt another type of water seal. I have found the easiest way is make the paper gasket.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty
    replied
    I just checked the MPS website, the part number is there.

It shows out of stock.....you should call them.

Mine broke on a cruise last summer.....I phoned at told them i needed the pump assembly for the Hino 175 and they sent the same day

Leave a comment:

• aspen1880
    replied
    does that 38 original pump have a specific part number? Is there just one

kind of Kashiyama water pump?

would I likely get the right parts if I told NHarbor or marinePartsSupply that

I need rebuild kit for Bayliner38 original Kashiyama water pump? I am thinking

of getting that kit and storing it in cubbyHole on the boat.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty
    replied
    I was able to buy the orig equip Kashiyama water pump from

Www.marinepartssupply.com

They are in Nanaimo BC and ship anywhere

Leave a comment:

• percs
    replied
    Rebuild kits are still available. I rebuilt mine and carry one kit on board.

They are pretty easy to rebuild and you must remember to not get any contamination on the ceramic seal faces.

Bought mine at N Harbor diesel (they had two on shelf and were expecting more and my extra kit in Nanaimo BC while I was out there).

David

Leave a comment:

• RDOIII
    replied
    "boatbum" post=598297 wrote:
    Hi there, I have a 38XX with a rather tired raw water pump,

I hear that the Kashiyama pump is no longer made and I have searched the forums but cannot find anything relating to a replacement to the standard EH700 pump.

Can anyone one help me with a retro fit pump that will "bolt straight on"???
    Do not think there is a replacement that is direct bolt on.

Below is info from thread back in 2006 on adapting a different brand

Believe you can still get the seals and bearing to rebuild orginal.

RDOIII

================================================== =================================

Unfortunately, the Kasiyama pumps are No Longer Available. There are a few out there at $1,000+ each ($1,500 isn't an unreasonable number).

It is possible to swap out the pump for a more standard brand.

Here's a recent message thread about that:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retrofit for EH700TI Kashiyama Waterpump

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still reviewing with George @ Depco Pump here's what I have on flow. All rates are based upon 2100rpm @ pump.

The Hino engine pulley is 6". The Kashiyama pulley is 7". To determine pump RPM multiply engine rpm by engine pulley size and divide by the pump pulley size. The NAPA replacement belt measures 11/16" wide making pulley selection fun.

Kashiyama is assumed to be approx 33gpm @ 2100rpm based on impeller size & pump style per George. I have been unable to find factory flow data. At 3000 engine rpm the factory pump is turning 2,571rpm with an estimated output of 40.36gpm

Jabsco cites the following Global formula for determining flow requirement.

For diesel engines with heat exchanger use 18gpm / 100hp. If exhaust manifold is cooled (it is) add 10-15%.Therefore at 220 peak horsepower (estimate 3,000 engine rpm) this engine would need approximately 44-46gpm.

Returning to the base 2100rpm pump comparison:

Kashiyama = 33gpm

Sherwood E35 = 19gpm

Jabsco 777 = 28gpm (used on Cat 3208NA)

Jabsco 7420 w/ › cam = 46gpm (used on Cat 3208 Turbo)

These are all pedestal mount pumps which would adapt to the OEM mounting plate easily.

With a 2100rpm 33gpm target and preferring to run a larger pump slower, from the choices above it appears the pump to use would be the 7420 w/ › cam and increasing the pulley size to 9" (assuming linear conversion of gpm 46x6/9=34.5gpm). This reaches the target flow as well as slowing the pump speed for greater longevity.

One other option I've found is the Jabsco 5330 with a stated 31gpm @ 2100rpm. It looks like the perfect replacement however George tells me he thinks the catalogs gpm is incorrect and extremely overstated. I've put a call in to Jabsco tech. for verification.

BigJimB

(6/19/06 10:41 am)

Reply | Edit | Del Re: Retrofit for EH700TI Kashiyama Waterpump

Ron,

Ran WOT (2950 w/ light load) for 20 minutes and temp held at 190┬║ on the just refurbished port manicooler and 200┬║ on the starboard that I don't think has ever been apart (need to check thermostat for full open or clean bundle if necessary). Plenty of water out exhaust, belts run true, easy install once I designed the adaptor plate. As a test I may put the full cam back in the stbd side to see if it makes a difference in a WOT test, but I doubt it as my research found the flow would far exceed the factory pump.

The new Kashiyama pump from Marine Parts in Canada cost about $1,500.00 with shipping. The Jaqbsco's were about $450.00 plus fittings, adaptor plate and hardware.

raffy

(6/19/06 1:40 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Raw Water Pump

Hi Jim, Which model Jabsco did you use. I have another person here in Jacksonville that has the same problem.

BigJimB

(6/19/06 2:52 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Re: Raw Water Pump

Ed,

I used the 7420 with a half cam (make sure you get the screw and gasket for the half cam as well otherwise the screw is protruding into the impeller) and short shaft plus a 9" diameter 17mm pulley. Have to cut off the factory tensioning adjustment block and make an adaptor plate to move the pump out and back while retaining the adjustment slots from the bottom.

BTW, my mechanic said the manicooler had been overheated as the o-ring was melted and the end caps had been glued back on? Regardless, it's working fine. Need to talk to you more about the Mathers system. How does it compare to the other popular brands?

Jim

I forgot to mention the Jabsco conversion uses the NAPA 25-22508 belt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X