exhaust parts for 3218 US marine gas-gctid370033

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust parts for 3218 US marine gas-gctid370033

Have installed new engines in my 3218 last fall, only to find out that coolant leaked into the exhaust portion of the manifolds and then into the engine. Have now determined by preasure testing, that the section between the manifold and the riser is cracked. Have also found out that this piece was exclusive to the bayliners of this era. This exhaust is Chris Craft parts for the most part, but this piece does not seem to be available through any of the well known suppliers. I have got to believe that some of you have gone through this experience also. So I guess my question is, can any one tell me where to find this part, or what did you do to solve this problem? Really need help on this one, thanks Jeff

Hi: Back a few years ago in the mid nineties, it was getting hard to find replacement risers for our engines. Asked around and one of the suggestions was a complete conversion to mercruiser. The initial cost was a little high, but replacements in the future would be readily available and cheaper. Our Chriscraft risers are around $300 ea. vs $150 ea. for mercruiser risers. It all depends how long you plan to keep the boat and how many times you have to change the exhaust parts. If you have to repower along the way, it may be better to get a complete engine package like merc., or Crusader and go from there. After that shortage of parts in the 90's, Barr and Osco made plenty of replacements and I decided to stay with the Chriscraft parts. Good luck

Comment

dannyzee wrote:
      Hi: Back a few years ago in the mid nineties, it was getting hard to find replacement risers for our engines. Asked around and one of the suggestions was a complete conversion to mercruiser. The initial cost was a little high, but replacements in the future would be readily available and cheaper. Our Chriscraft risers are around $300 ea. vs $150 ea. for mercruiser risers. It all depends how long you plan to keep the boat and how many times you have to change the exhaust parts. If you have to repower along the way, it may be better to get a complete engine package like merc., or Crusader and go from there. After that shortage of parts in the 90's, Barr and Osco made plenty of replacements and I decided to stay with the Chriscraft parts. Good luck
      Thanks dannyzee, I know about the Barr and Osco Chris parts but they do not offer the interim riser (the piece between the manifold and main riser). This was a special order part just for Bayliner. That is what I need to find. I already have the manifolds and risers, but does me no good without the middle piece.

Comment

Try marinemanifold.com

Comment

Hi: I know the piece you're talking about-it's sort of "s" shaped and about 6" long. I have a Chriscraft parts manual, and that piece is not shown. I'm afraid you are right about it being special-made for bayliner. My guess is that since it raises the height of the exhausts from the manifold to the riser, there must have been a clearance problem with the mounting of the engines and the exhaust to the stern of the boat. This may prove to be an exhaustive (no pun) effort. I doubt if even Bayliner has these anymore. If this part is cracked, did you consider welding, or epoxy?

Comment

We are indeed thinking about welding, epoxy, and even block seealer. The parts are being magnifluxed today in an effort to find exactly where they are cracked, so we know what we are up against. A mechanic told me that bayliner probably used these interim risers to get the main riser up higher above the exhaust outlet. You bring up a good point dannyzee, in that I might as well call a few former motoryacht dealers. Who knows, someone might have one sitting on a shelf. If anyone would care to give me the names of former motoryacht dealers, I'll give it a try. I know a few here in the midwest. Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Can you post a photo of the part you are looking for?

Comment

Got my parts back from magnifluxing Fri afternoon, and the verdict was they are just fine. So this week we will put it all back together with new manifolds, risers, and gaskets. Will keep you guys posted on the outcome. Again, many thanks for all of your input, and remember, it's a B.O.A.T. (break out another thousand)! Thanks again, Jeff

Comment

Working...