Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making the Trip from LA to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico-gctid369020

Gentlemen,

I am going to make the trip from LA to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in my 4588 Pilothouse/Motoryacht. I am researching the range for the 4588 and wondering if anyone knows how many refueling stops will be needed, if any? And, which Mexican ports on the way down have refueling stations? I welcome any knowledge or research before I am underway. Thanks in advance.

Captain Paul

Generally, you can refuel in Ensenada, then again in Turtle Bay- you'll have to arrange for the fuel in Turtle Bay. Some folks will put a couple of 55 gal drums of fuel in the cockpit.

Comment

There are sevaral groups that make the run every year. The longest run is from Ensinada to Mag Bay. It's something like 320 miles with nothing in between. Here is one of them.

http://www.baja-haha.com.

Also:

http://www.fubarodyssey.com/

Check it out for details.
      1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
      2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
      2019 Cobia 240 CC
      2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
      1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

No offense intended, but there are several "non-gentlemen" captains on BOC.
        Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
        Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
        Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
        MMSI: 338030604

Comment

Capt. Black Strap wrote:
          Gentlemen,

I am going to make the trip from LA to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in my 4588 Pilothouse/Motoryacht. I am researching the range for the 4588 and wondering if anyone knows how many refueling stops will be needed, if any? And, which Mexican ports on the way down have refueling stations? I welcome any knowledge or research before I am underway. Thanks in advance.

Captain Paul
          As you get more information regarding this, please post it. That is a trip we'd eventually like to make and the information you gather will be very valuable.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Capt. Black Strap wrote:
            Gentlemen,

Captain Paul
            Thinking of doing that trip myself next fall. Have done before several times in Ocean 55 Sportfisher.

Now have 4550 based in San Diego.

Left Ensenada, then fueled in Turtle Bay, then stoppped in Santa Maria Bay, near Magdalena Bay, fished for several days in this area, then into San Carlos for fuel, this is inside of Mag Bay, then on to Cabo.

Have done this trip in Oct. and Nov. and weather usually good.

Ensenada best place to clear Mexican customs.

Comment

Capt. Black Strap wrote:
              Gentlemen,

Captain Paul
              I am in LA at Cabrillo and have been thinking about taking this trip on my 38. I am a couple years away from doing it but if this trip turns out good for you maybe the wife and I can can join you then.. Please let us know how it turns out and good luck.

Comment

Only 320 miles in between stops? If you stick to hull speed that should be no issue if you carry +/- 500 gallons like other 45's? The answer though really depends on which speed you travel at. At hull speed, even with reserve, you should have 650-700 miles, assuming 8 knots @ about 85 hours engine time @ about 5 GPH, again, +/-, with still about 20% (100 gallons) reserve for rough seas, etc.
                ~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Comment

Look at www.mexicoboating.com. The authors are frequently published in the Log and have many round trips

Hope this helps

Joe

2002 4788

Lucky Liner
                  Joe
                  2001 5288
                  Lucky Liner ll

Comment

Working...
                  X