Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westerbeke BTD-8D Sea water pump, Westerbeke part # 33636 impeller part # 34440-gctid368560

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westerbeke BTD-8D Sea water pump, Westerbeke part # 33636 impeller part # 34440-gctid368560

Gents

I have had some impeller challenges with the sea water pump (Westerbeke part # 33636) on my 3818.

So Ii went hunting for alternatives other than the Westerbeke impeller part # 34440.

I was able to cross reference the par number to several different makes.

Here below is what I found at this very useful web page

http://www.boatersplus.com/globe-com...ller-6541.html

You will need to use Internet Explorer to open & view the attached mht file.

Westerbeke pump is model / part # 33636

Globe Composite Solutions 6 Blade Globe Impeller 6541

PRODUCT CODE: MM-GB6541from BoatersPlus.com

ÔÇó6 Blade Globe Impeller

ÔÇóReplaces Jabsco 673-0001, 1133-0001, 18673-0001

ÔÇóReplaces Johnson Pump 09-1026B

ÔÇóReplaces Perkins Diesel 24880194

ÔÇóReplaces Volvo 897055, 875808, 804696

ÔÇóReplaces Westerbeke 34440

ÔÇóDoes not included gaskets or o-rings!! If needed, please contact us for assistance.

ÔÇóImpeller dimensions: Height 2"

ÔÇóWidth 7/8" shaft diameter 1/2" pin drive

ÔÇó6 blades

ÔÇóAll Globe impellers are made from elastomers giving them the combined characteristics and multiple properties of rubber nitrile viton and neoprene

ÔÇóThe only impeller in the world guaranteed to run dry for 15 minutes

ÔÇóTriple the service life

Fact is - Globe impellers fail on the Hino mains due to their inherent design.

I am not aware of how they work in the genset so take it for what it is worth.

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

kwjennings wrote:
      Gents

I have had some impeller challenges with the sea water pump (Westerbeke part # 33636) on my 3818.

So Ii went hunting for alternatives other than the Westerbeke impeller part # 34440.

I was able to cross reference the par number to several different makes.

Here below is what I found at this very useful web page

http://www.boatersplus.com/globe-com...ller-6541.html

You will need to use Internet Explorer to open & view the attached mht file.

Westerbeke pump is model / part # 33636

Globe Composite Solutions 6 Blade Globe Impeller 6541

PRODUCT CODE: MM-GB6541from BoatersPlus.com

ÔÇó6 Blade Globe Impeller

ÔÇóReplaces Jabsco 673-0001, 1133-0001, 18673-0001

ÔÇóReplaces Johnson Pump 09-1026B

ÔÇóReplaces Perkins Diesel 24880194

ÔÇóReplaces Volvo 897055, 875808, 804696

ÔÇóReplaces Westerbeke 34440

ÔÇóDoes not included gaskets or o-rings!! If needed, please contact us for assistance.

ÔÇóImpeller dimensions: Height 2"

ÔÇóWidth 7/8" shaft diameter 1/2" pin drive

ÔÇó6 blades

ÔÇóAll Globe impellers are made from elastomers giving them the combined characteristics and multiple properties of rubber nitrile viton and neoprene

ÔÇóThe only impeller in the world guaranteed to run dry for 15 minutes

ÔÇóTriple the service life
      That is great information.. Thank you for post!

Comment

I installed the globes on my 3818 hinos, i could not get the water to draw thru. I tried everything i could think of , finally thru them away went with the jabsco's

Comment

The short version -

I thought I had posted this enough in the past but perhaps not.

DO NOT use Globe impellers in your Hino engines.

They will fail due to their design in less then 30 hrs and leave you stranded or with a major repair bill.

After failure we took them out and carefully dissected the failures and found specific issues with the design.

Customer service at Globe requested them back along with my leter and sketch (but I kept one as a sample).

At the time of failure I tried to implore Globe to 'contact' as many Bayliner owners as possible to warn them.

They 'offered' me free product and 'consultation' fees as an alternate which was categorically declined.

Hope this helps
          Northport NY

Comment

I started this string to help out members who needed alternative brands with non Westerbeke part numbers that would be acceptable cross references to the Westerbeke OEM impeller part number.

Someday your impeller may fail & you might not have a spare aboard. So you call West Marine 'cause they are usually open. Good luck getting help with a Westerbeke part number. However West Marine does carry some of the part numbers in the original post

Now let's see what we can learn about the accuracy of these cross references, the suitability, success & reliability of the other manufacture's options. We now have 6 brands to choose from and to try out and we have part numbers for all 6 brands.

The other impeller manufacturer part numbers are from:
            • Westerbeke OEM
            • Jabsco
            • Johnson
            • Perkins
            • Volvo
            • & last but not least Globe

Comment

kwjennings

"The other impeller manufacturer part numbers are from:ÔÇóWesterbeke OEM

ÔÇóJabsco

ÔÇóJohnson

ÔÇóPerkins

ÔÇóVolvo"

This is excellent information and well appreciated - thank you. It is always great to get cross reference sources for spares and these tend to be a higher user so they are more valuable sources. I do not know what would happen with a globe westerbeke replacement as it has never been tested on our boat

On a separate note there is no good way to easily tell that a Hino Globe impeller will fail when you look at them. So an unsuspecting user may think that we are reffering to a 'slightly' different service life on the globes.

That is not near the truth as they litterallty spin the hub in less than 30 hrs use from new.

Hope this helps

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D550/ry%3D400/
              Northport NY

Comment

The $50 Westy that came in the red box had a Johnson part number and I asked to see that one. It came in a plastic bag including the paper gasket for $30. Same impeller. Johnson 09-810b-1.
                1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

My Westerbeke also uses those impellers. Mine last a long time, but I always carry spares.

The shaft seal also failed on my pump, so I now also carry the puller tool so I can swap that part.

Comment

I just did a quick look to see what impellers are going for now.

Not much change, Westerbeke number on Amazon is $37, Johnson about $17 at several sources.

A couple years ago my gen intake plugged up with jellyfish. I went into Pender Harbor, BC. for a couple days and while I was there I cleaned out the system and replaced the impeller. I thought I only had one spare and as long as I was close to a chandlery I'd just buy a new one and keep my spare. I paid 90 bucks for the thing. That's what I paid for the last complete rebuild kit I bought.

A few days later I was digging through my kit looking for something else and found I had 4 spare Westerbeke impellers onboard. It was time to update my inventory.

Thanks for the cross references its good info to have.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X