No announcement yet.

4788 refrigerator-gctid368484

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock on wood - the Norcold in my boat is 22 years old and still working.

Comment

ksanders wrote:
      That said I went with the The Vitrifrigo Dp 2600 and teak door inserts.
      Kevin, will the teak door inserts match the rest of your salon wood?

We have the Vitrifrigo with black panels, but kinda curious on how closely the wood matches.
      Pat
      Paragon
      1999 4788

Comment

cosmo777 wrote:
        Kevin, will the teak door inserts match the rest of your salon wood?

We have the Vitrifrigo with black panels, but kinda curious on how closely the wood matches.
        The teak door panels are going to be finished to match the existing teak on the boat.

This would be easy to do myself, but since the boat is at NHD and Tomy the marine cabinetmaker isn't all that busy...

BTW, the inserts are just 1/8" teak plywood.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

My old Norcold DE561 went kaput so I'm also looking for a new frig. The Vitri DP2600 looks good with more capacity but will there be enough ventilation for it when installed as a built in unit. I don't see any front vents on it like I do on the Norcold DE0061 and so I'm wondering if ventilation at the rear of the cabinet box it is installed in is needed or recommended?

Also noticed this comment on a FAQ site for the model:

Q - What is the most important consideration when installing a Vitrifrigo fridge or freezer?

A - All standard Vitrifrigo models are air cooled, and on most units the compressor and condenser are mounted on the rear of the cabinet. For maximum efficiency and performance it is very important that the warm air is allowed to escape to another area and cooler air drawn in to replace it. A small fan on the condenser blows the air through the coils and this warm air must be allowed to escape and not be drawn back into the condenser. Adequate vents at the rear and/or sides of the cabinet, one high and one low, should provide enough ventilation. One vent alone is not sufficient.

Source: http://www.vfsales.net/newsandfaqs.html

Thanks, Cliff

3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA
          1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

baylineguy wrote:
            My old Norcold DE561 went kaput so I'm also looking for a new frig. The Vitri DP2600 looks good with more capacity but will there be enough ventilation for it when installed as a built in unit. I don't see any front vents on it like I do on the Norcold DE0061 and so I'm wondering if ventilation at the rear of the cabinet box it is installed in is needed or recommended?

Also noticed this comment on a FAQ site for the model:

Q - What is the most important consideration when installing a Vitrifrigo fridge or freezer?

A - All standard Vitrifrigo models are air cooled, and on most units the compressor and condenser are mounted on the rear of the cabinet. For maximum efficiency and performance it is very important that the warm air is allowed to escape to another area and cooler air drawn in to replace it. A small fan on the condenser blows the air through the coils and this warm air must be allowed to escape and not be drawn back into the condenser. Adequate vents at the rear and/or sides of the cabinet, one high and one low, should provide enough ventilation. One vent alone is not sufficient.

Source: http://www.vfsales.net/newsandfaqs.html

Thanks, Cliff

3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA
            Cliff, your 3587 has (as you probably know) a vent abouve the ridge. You should be avle to slide that Vitrifrigo right in without worry. I opted for the Novakool RFU9000 when my went TU last year. Direct install, perfect fit and keeps everything nice and cold.

Comment

Cliff

I just replaced the 22 year old Norcold unit late last summer. We were tired of the noise, high amp draw @ 12 Volts, lack of low temps in freezer and rusting front panel faces aroud seals.*

We checked out options and elected to go with the Vitro.*

We love the the following VS old Norcold:

Much more energy efficient

Super quiet

Better seals

Lighted interior

Only suggested improvements

No egg holder/dairy holder on door

Bottom support panel which separates the produce area is plastic and tend to sag with heavy loads.

That said, we had a challenging time in getting a factory paid tech to visit the boat due to freezer performance that dropped off shortly after buying. We worked directly with Vitro out of Florida for them to find a quality tech. *About a month ago, he came aboard and made some adjustment to a new component they are using, some sort of danfoss pressure balance device. The very well trained and experienced tech acknowledged this was the first time he had encountered one of these. Working over the phone with Vitro, he made slight adjustments until he found the right balance between frezzer temps and lower section.

Now ice cream stays frozen. *This is huge!

The unit is deeper than the orginal Norcold. *On our 45, the unit extend about three additional inches into the galley due to the angled panel from the rear closet and guest stateroom construction. *The additional depth is not intrusive enough to bother us.

As far as the ventilation is concerned, the fan does do its job. *I would advise a simple cutout on the side panel like we will be adding when I finally fit out the cabinetry to match the space.

Hope this helps

Ken

Comment

Thanks, you guys also have me leaning toward the Vitrifrigo DP2600. I got a copy of the installation manual for it and Vitri does recommend about 46 sq inches of rear vent area split between the upper and lower end of the refer. As Pete says, the 3587 comes with more venting than that and it is both above and below the unit. I'm good there but it is something to consider in other Bayliner models The Norcold DL0061 is self vented out the front of the unit and does not require additional ventilation.

I also see in the manual where the Vitri recommends 8 awg wiring with a 20' round trip run for the low voltage cabling. The Norcold DE0061 manual on the other hand only recommends 14 awg for a 24' or less round trip run for that. The Vitri specs seems like definite overkill-apparently it is sized for lock rotor amp conditions but the fuse will definitely blow if that ever happens. The Vitri does use more power than the Norcold according to the specs (4.4 amps vs 3.2 amps) which makes sense considering it is a larger refrigerator. But I'm wondering if the 12v wire size from the batteries should be increased when installing a Vitri considering that Bayliner probably did the minimum for the factory installed Norcold. Same situation with the Novakool.

I also see that Norcold provides a 2 year warranty on parts and labor while Vitri provides a 2 year warranty on parts but only a 1 year warranty on labor. Obviously, I like the Norcold warranty better. I don't know what the warranty is on the Novakool units.

At any rate, I would hope any of the units last well beyond the warranty period. That now deceased Norcold DE561 in my boat appears to be original equipment and so it lasted 14 years-that seems to be more the norm for the life of a marine refrigerator.

Happy boating,

Cliff, Port Orchard, WA

3587 Bayliner

Comment

I wanted to follow up on my refrigerator purchase. Maybe it will help someone who is also looking at replacing a broken one. I drove to Sure Marine in Ballard near Seattle as they had both the Norcold and the Vitrifrigio in stock and on display. I had been leaning towards the Vitri, but in measuring the depth of the unit at 24" including the refrigerant tubing coming out the back, I wasn't sure it would fit through the cabin door of my 3587 so I bought the Norcold instead.

After installation, the Norcold had an annoying fan noise as the unit is self vented (which is good if one doesn't have ventilation in the refer enclosure). The refer I bought also started making some metallic gurgling noises after it started up. That was a defect in the unit but even if that was fixed, I still didn't like the fan noise. I talked to Sure Marine about it and they agreed to help me replace the Norcold with a Vitri. They even came to my marina in Port Orchard for the exchange.

I'm happy as the Vitri is much quieter, is larger than the Norcold, seems to be sturdier construction, and yes, it did fit through the cabin door without a problem.

With that, I highly recommend Sure Marine. They had the best pricing I could find and their service was great.

Cliff

3587 Bayliner "Ambrosia", Port Orchard, WA

Comment

We made a switch to the Nova Kool this year. Great product! Very quiet and keeps stuff cold! I ran a temperature logger in mine and it will hold temps at plus or minus two degrees F. I like the freezer on the bottom.

Nick
                    Nick Patterson
                    1989 Bayliner 4588 Stockton, CA

Comment

baylineguy wrote:
                      I wanted to follow up on my refrigerator purchase. Maybe it will help someone who is also looking at replacing a broken one. I drove to Sure Marine in Ballard near Seattle as they had both the Norcold and the Vitrifrigio in stock and on display. I had been leaning towards the Vitri, but in measuring the depth of the unit at 24" including the refrigerant tubing coming out the back, I wasn't sure it would fit through the cabin door of my 3587 so I bought the Norcold instead.

After installation, the Norcold had an annoying fan noise as the unit is self vented (which is good if one doesn't have ventilation in the refer enclosure). The refer I bought also started making some metallic gurgling noises after it started up. That was a defect in the unit but even if that was fixed, I still didn't like the fan noise. I talked to Sure Marine about it and they agreed to help me replace the Norcold with a Vitri. They even came to my marina in Port Orchard for the exchange.

I'm happy as the Vitri is much quieter, is larger than the Norcold, seems to be sturdier construction, and yes, it did fit through the cabin door without a problem.

With that, I highly recommend Sure Marine. They had the best pricing I could find and their service was great.

Cliff

3587 Bayliner "Ambrosia", Port Orchard, WA
                      Did you have to remove the slider door to get the refrig out the hatch or remove any refrig trim?

Thanks
                      She Said Yes
                      1996 3587
                      Cummins 250 HP
                      Long Beach, CA.

Comment

Working...
                      X