4788 Floscans-gctid368264

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Floscans-gctid368264

Has anyone had these installed on your 4788?

Any pictures on where you located the sensors and dampers?

I'm planning to scope out possible locations for these items.

But if anyone has already done it or has ideas, I'm all ears to hear you thoughts....
    Pat
    Paragon
    1999 4788

Hi Pat. A rather belated response. I have one Floscan fitted to my Port engine that came with the boat on the assumption that it was an indicator for one engine and if you doubled it, you had the consumption. The original owner could not get it to work, but I persevered with an auto electrician, and managed to make it work. It needs to be calibrated properly and I'll do that on an upcoming trip.

The original Floscan's 4 "cans", 2 of which needed to be higher than the fuel pump. They were located next to the engine floor cross member, and the return cans hung off the bulkhead wall in the bilge area just below the air conditioning water pump. Since the cans were old and a tad rusty in spots, I thought that I would change them, and got 4 new cans from the manufacturer. However the newer version has taller cans (due to high pressures of the fuel pump) and I was told there was no need for the cans to be higher than the pump.

The net net is that the replacement can would be higher than the floor engine hatch cover, so I would need to drop the bracket to make the engine cover fit. The extra 1.5" of can height is a pain so it is on the "to do list".

If I was fitting them from scratch, I'd use the bulkhead just inside the hatch door. The port side has the air con pump, but the S/B side is relatively free and would suffice. If you need photos, let me know.

Cheers John
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thanks John. I'd really like to use the bulkheads inside the hatch door, but fear I'd block access around the engines for routine maintenance.

Wanting to purchase the floscans, but still pondering the installation is holding me back....
      Pat
      Paragon
      1999 4788

Comment

We have Floscan on one engine only (the port if my memory serves me correctly). The "cans" are mounted on a vertical plywood board mounted at the aft end of the engine room at the end of the pathway between the two engines. Although it requires a little more hose, it is easy to access and doesn't get in the way.
        Mike
        "Allante I" Rayburn 75
        Previous: '97 4788

Comment

Pat, per my earlier reply, attached are some photos were mine are located. Cheers

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/697494=29009-IMG_0126.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/697494=29010-IMG_0127.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/697494=29011-IMG_0130.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/697494=29012-IMG_0131.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/697494=29013-IMG_0132.jpg[/img]
          John H
          Brisbane QLD Aust
          "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

John,

Thanks much for the pictures. Certainly gives me more ideas. I'll be crawling around there this weekend.

You're right about the cans, I noticed your shorter ones right away in that first picture.

Mike,

Aft end of the engine room was another location I was going to look.

Like you say, longer hoses are not that big a deal if it helps get them out of the way.
            Pat
            Paragon
            1999 4788

Comment

You should have 1 floscan per engine, so you can measure true usage.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                You should have 1 floscan per engine, so you can measure true usage.
                Yes, in an ideal world with unlimited funds to spend on boat accessories and unlimited space to mount them .

Having one engine flow scanned is a pretty good compromise, as long as your engines burn close to the same amount of fuel, as ours do. Our transmissions have the same ratio on both engines. You can set the dip switches on the unit to read double (ie- the equivalent of two engines worth). When we compare the flowscan totalizer amount to what we put back into the tanks (after subtracting estimated genny and heater use) it is very close, so I assume both engines are burning about the same amount.

Cheers,
                Mike
                "Allante I" Rayburn 75
                Previous: '97 4788

Comment

Working...
                X