1987 45 PH 115V AC Pane-gctid367624

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 45 PH 115V AC Pane-gctid367624

Had a short with lots smoke and heat inside boat at 30 amp at shore power inlet. Can't believe boat didn't catch fire. May/Probably need new to me 115 V instrument/Breaker switch panel. Looks like have a major meltdown of many of the gauges/wires.

Any ideas where I can find/purchase such a panel??????

Thanks in advance

Darby

are you sure it's the panel? I've seen corrosion on the inlet plug 'weld' the shore power cord to the plugs and the heat is like an arc welder...the plasic on the inlet melts and wire insulation burns.... start here.... if you can't remove the shore power cord, that's your clue...good luck.

Ken

PS. look at the other end of your cord too....

Comment

If your shore power cord is fused to the boat inlet, you should check the other side of the inlet on the inside of the boat, as it will likely be toasted also.
      Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
      Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
      Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
      MMSI: 338030604

Comment

rrdarby wrote:
        Had a short with lots smoke and heat inside boat at 30 amp at shore power inlet. Can't believe boat didn't catch fire. May/Probably need new to me 115 V instrument/Breaker switch panel. Looks like have a major meltdown of many of the gauges/wires.

Any ideas where I can find/purchase such a panel??????

Thanks in advance

Darby
        Can panel be repainted and labeled? There is a guy on BOC that makes new panels. Check with Bayliner, via phone they might have one or a supplier.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Darby, any of these like yours?

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product...anel&x=12&y=23
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Darby

From what you are describing I wouldn't think your AC panel would need replacing.

Unless there was allot of heat damage, things might have gotten a little smokey back there but you would think that the actual physical damage would be limited to the shore power inlet and right around it.

If your entire AC panel needs to be replaced then you must have had some serious heat damage, more than the power inlet.

That means that the wires going to the panel got hot and burned as well. (It just makes sense).

If thats the case then you'll need to replace more than the panel, you'll need to replace the wires as well, probably cutting out the damaged sections and terminating them on terminal blocks.

Assuming you actually had that much damage...

I'd replace the panel with a brand new designed from the ground up unit, like a blueseas 360 system.

If you get into this level there's nobody in Whittier qualified to do the job. You'll either need to take the boat to seward, or import some labor.

Best of luck and glad your boat didn't go up.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
            https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Yes Kevin, it was a major meltdown with several gauge backings melted, some connections melted, and several wires heat/fused together - not to mention the black soot that is thick in the panel cabinet and traces all over every flat surface in the boat even in the forward head!!!!

Am just finishing boat cleaning (3 days worth/with help) and will have qualified expert down to Whittier in next few days to look things over and see how they want to proceed.

Darby

Comment

rrdarby wrote:
                Thanks everyone.

Yes Kevin, it was a major meltdown with several gauge backings melted, some connections melted, and several wires heat/fused together - not to mention the black soot that is thick in the panel cabinet and traces all over every flat surface in the boat even in the forward head!!!!

Am just finishing boat cleaning (3 days worth/with help) and will have qualified expert down to Whittier in next few days to look things over and see how they want to proceed.

Darby
                You are lucky your boat didn't durn up. Wow!

With that kind of heat you're going to need to cut back the wires and terminate probably all of them on terminal blocks.

Then you can wire from there to the new panel.

I'm assuming that your 45' panel is basically the same as my 4788. If thats the case I would just expect to replace everything in that panel.

If I was doing that job I would start with a piece of alumanium as a mounting substrate and as I indicated above design a Blueseas 360 panel to meet your AC and DC needs.

This is going to be a Mr. big bill job for your insurance. You could easily rack up a hundred hours of labor between the design, gut, and install of a new panel.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                  You are lucky your boat didn't durn up. Wow!

This is going to be a Mr. big bill job for your insurance. You could easily rack up a hundred hours of labor between the design, gut, and install of a new panel.
                  Yup- file the claim. Have your insurance take care of the repairs and cleanup. While the visible damage may be at the panel, you may have further damage downstream in your wiring.

Comment

Working...
                  X