No announcement yet.

Fuel Filter Problem?-gctid366571

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smitty - I am trying to envision the pickup tube and screen configuration, is this a fine screen on the bottom of this tube? Trying to figure out how some of the material that was found in our filter bowls could get past this screen?

Rod

Comment

Blowing air/fuel back through the line may very well dislodge whatever is blocking the line/pickup tube screen. However, keep in mind that whatever was blocking it in the first place is still in there and will likely cause the same problem. Please let us know what you eventually find.
      Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
      Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
      Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
      MMSI: 338030604

Comment

Hello Rod,

"I am trying to envision the pickup tube and screen configuration, is this a fine screen on the bottom of this tube?"

I have not had the pickup tubes out of a 45 or a 47 only the senders from those boats.

I did have a pickup tube out of a 38 diesel tank many years ago and there was screen on that like a fine mesh 'floppy bag' soldered on the end.

FWIW - on the 45 you can get a pretty decent look down the tank after the sender is out with a very good flashlight, or a decent digital camera, or one of those newer video stalk probes.

You may or may not have screens installed but pulling the pickup is the only way to really know that answer.

Vacuumn gage readings "T'd" on the fuel line would tell you if you had a problem somewhere up stream of the gage.

jmcannonball

"Blowing air/fuel back through the line may very well dislodge whatever is blocking the line/pickup tube screen."

This is a good technique but maybe misleading under certain circumstances. Simlar as in coolant hoses pushing fluids through them will work well even if they are 'kinked' or have an interally collapsing inner core. But then you put a vacuumn on them and they 'collapse' again and fail to flow any fluids. Very hard to detect in suction side coolant hose failure and also with suction side flexible fuel lines. With Rod temporarily testing both engines off of one tank when the situation arises he can eleminate many of these possibilities but not all of them. Looking for a kink or a collapsing point sometimes yields the suspected area.

Hope this helps
        Northport NY

Comment

Update: Pulled the pickup tube, no screen and no apparant indication that one was ever there? Blew it out just to check, aok. FYI, our pickup tube was about 1/2 inch off of the bottom of the tank with a v grove cut in the bottom of the tube. Put that all back together and ran both engines off of the tank / filter in question for 30 min., no problem? Moved from present dock to another marina, no problem? Filled the tanks and vent / overflow aok? Well maybe we just had another clogged filter that created our shutdown, we will find out on Sunday. We are going to stay put tomorrow because of the winds and will take care of a few projects and head out Sunday morning for Tarpon Springs. I will give everyone a report asap of that outcome.

Rod

Comment

Hello Rod,

"Well maybe we just had another clogged filter that created our shutdown"

What micron filters are you running? (are they 500's, color?)

Anything in the water seps?

Any indication of split or kinked flx fuel lines?

If you do get the problem again perhaps immedaitely parallel the fuel line to the other tank for a brief test only.

Hope this helps

Note - Very heavy crud in turbine Racors can at times 'plug' the ball valve area if notflushed and/or cleaned out, see attach link and diagram for PN 7 & 8.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...ine_Series.pdf
            Northport NY

Comment

Smitty 477,

My filters are the cartridge type Racor R26S, 2 micron. Probably would be better off with a little higher #. Everything looked clean when I changed the filter, water seperator and engine filter last weekend. I feel pretty good that we just clogged another filter the second time around, we will see.

Rod

Comment

Hello Rod,

"My filters are the cartridge type Racor R26S, 2 micron."

Understood - FWIW those filters are limited in their ability to remove debri and water due to their effective size.

The elements are expensive and the R26S is meant for a secondary(S) or final filtration application.

Consider carrying spares of a primary micron rating for further cruising safety tomorrow.

Please consider trading off to the turbine series of Racors if that meets you cruising needs in the future.

Reasonbly good deals can be had on e-bay and the like and filter costs alone could pay for the change within a couple of years.

Hope this helps
                Northport NY

Comment

Thanks again everyone for all of the great information. At the finish of this trip, we will have about 6000 miles under our keel since owning this boat. Hopefully when I get our wonderful boat back to our home dock, I can make some of these important improvements. It has been an up and down couple of years, improvements to the boat unfortunatly have not been on the top of the list. 2012 is looking good so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod

Comment

Home again, Yea!

No problems for the remainder of the trip after the filter problem. We did get tossed around a good bit again on the Gulf of Mexico and also crossing Lake Okeechobee but no additional engine stoppages.

Thanks to all again for the great information, learned a lot and felt so much better having covered all of the bases.

The tally for this trip, 1600 miles, Shreveport LA to Green Cove Springs, FL via Lake Okeechobee waterway, 14 running days (some very long days) Average rpm about 1750 to 1900. Average fuel price after the great deal at my previous marina about $4.15. Have not figured the fuel use but I know we it was at least 1.5 mpg or better.

Rod

Comment

Working...
                    X