Port altenator putting out 15.5 volts what is the repair-gctid557300

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port altenator putting out 15.5 volts what is the repair-gctid557300

I noticed on a long run today that the port engine (house battery) was putting out 15.5 volts at 2300 RPM.

If I drop the speed the voltage drops, if I speed back up the voltage comes back up.

It slowly creeps up from 14v charging. The other side stays right at 14 volts.

I'm thinking it's the voltage regulator. Is that correct? Is it a separate unit or part of the alternator?

Until I can get parts, can I disconnect the leads from the alternator and use the starboard engine to charge the house battery? (Turn on the crossover switch)

Thanks!
    Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

First step, check the alternator output with a voltmeter as it could be your gauge is off.
    www.boatyardgm.com
    www.pacificyachtimports.net
    2002 Carver Voyager 57
    "Making Waves"
    3988 250 Hinos
    "The Dark Side"
    Alameda, California

Comment

Done!

Comment

Which engines?
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

1993 4588 with the 250 hp Hinos

Comment

several times a year I have the same issue (same engines). I unplug the alternator plug and plug it back in after about 5 minutes and

problem goes away.. Years ago I pulled the alternator and took it to a shop and it bench tested fine, so until it goes into fail mode

permenantly I can't fix it.

Comment

Can you be more specific to what you are unplugging?

Comment

Why don't you get a new one and keep the old one for emergency spare?
                Midnight Star
                1996 3587
                Twin diesels, Hino 250's
                Ladysmith, BC
                History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

"freedre" post=557535 wrote:
                  Why don't you get a new one and keep the old one for emergency spare?
                  Have you priced a Hino replacement alternator? I think they are made by DENSO (formerly NipponDenso) and are very very expensive. Some of us have taken a Delco high amp output truck alternator and had a elect/alternator overhaul shop add the proper pulley and electrical connections so it becomes a direct electrical connector replacement and fits the Hino mechanical installation. I did that for our 310s and got the Denso alternator repaired for a spare.
                  Started boating 1965
                  Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Working...
                  X