3818 engine room fan replacement-gctid557275

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3818 engine room fan replacement-gctid557275

Has anyone had experience in replacing the engine room exhaust fan in a 3818?

My fan sounds like a farm combine, but I can't locate the fan. The sound seems to originate under the wet bar or ice maker.

Thank you for any help...........................................

You're right. There are multiple blowers located in behind the bar. On my 3888 I went through the back of the cabinet, down low. There was a carpeted access panel there. Difficult to get your arms in there but possible. When mine first got noisy I sprayed them with a penetrating lube. They were fine again for another couple of seasons and I replaced them during winter maintenance.

Comment

This may sound impossible but its true. One of mine was very noisy when we got the boat. That was 8 years ago. I sprayed WD40 in the vent opening from the outside.

It is quiet to this day.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I read about the WD40 trick a few months ago and tried it. I sprayed those

buggers from the exterior/outside starboard white vent/grille -- I used extra

long straw. They fans / blowers have been dead silent since then. very happy.
        Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

Sounds simple enough, and a whole lot easier than replacing the fan. I'll give it a try, thanks for the help.

Comment

This maybe a dumb question but are exhaust fans really necessary with diesels where combustible fumes aren't an issue as they are with gas?

Good to know the WD40 will quite them down as mine are noisy too, but I don't anticipate using them?
            "Martini's Law"
            1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
            Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"diveguy" post=557314 wrote:
              This maybe a dumb question but are exhaust fans really necessary with diesels where combustible fumes aren't an issue as they are with gas?

Good to know the WD40 will quite them down as mine are noisy too, but I don't anticipate using them?
              Blowers are not necessary for fumes with diesels, but help expel heat.
              www.boatyardgm.com
              www.pacificyachtimports.net
              2002 Carver Voyager 57
              "Making Waves"
              3988 250 Hinos
              "The Dark Side"
              Alameda, California

Comment

I agree explosive fumes are not an issue with diesels. I believe the blowers were installed on all motoryachts because some were fitter with gas engines, mine also has a gas fumes monitor/alarm. The main benefit in having a working blower in a diesel engine compartment is to remove the fumes and heat, which can become an annoyance during longer cruises.

Comment

You can access the fans by removing the six screws in side vents.
                  Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
                  Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
                  Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
                  MMSI: 338030604

Comment

Yes, I had the problem !

I replace the Fans by smashing them from outside via the VENT, and replaced them as described in my Boat Blog.

Here is the the replaced Fans as view from below decks.

If repair or replacement is every necessary (which I doubt) , it will be very easy.

--

Comment

Working...
                    X