Leta comes through again-gctid365832

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leta comes through again-gctid365832

Just got a quote from Leta's Boat Tops in Arlington, Washington to replace the clear plastic and 3 zippers per panel on my bimini side and front curtains.

$25.00 per panel for the plastic and $7.00 per panel for the Zippers.

How the heck can she keep doing this!!

Kind of makes you wonder what she pays her staff ????
    John McLellan White Rock BC
    "Halifax Jack"
    1999 2855 383 stroker BII
    MMSI 316004337

Comment

donno - but I just picked up a bimini cover form her and she was totally efficient to deal with, and the professional cover was in the mail and to my door in no time.

Definitely going back to her...

Comment

I've actually been to her shop. Lot's of happy looking staff. She even has hand drawn paper patterns from the Bayliner plant. So does Kim from Canvas Plus.

With our dollar at par, it's a no brainer.

Comment

I suspect she uses small jobs to fill the day and then attracts more customers wit more than reasonable prices, I suspect she does not gouge on larger projects from what I have read here, iif it works during these tough times, well then help her business out.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I must be the exception. Had them make a bridge enclosure, and it simply does not fit right. The front strataglass does not fit right, several snaps have broke off, and the job was never completed despite numerous attempts to have it repaired. Scheduled appointments and they were no shows, and when I called all I got was a voice mail. All in all it wasn't finished on time or done correctly and my issues were ignored. I think that Leta is no longer as involved, and I was dealing with her daughter. She just doesn't seem to care anymore. I'll have to pay somebody else to correct everything.

Comment

Maybe she is a DOG lover

Comment

Not to pile on but we also ordered a complete enclosure for our 2850. It was a nice fit but the zippers were sewn in backwards. My wife had to remove them and correct it.

We happened to have a commercial machine so it was doable for us.

She is good but not perfect.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned
                Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

nelie59 wrote:
                  Maybe she is a DOG lover
                  Ha ha.... could be.

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                    Not to pile on but we also ordered a complete enclosure for our 2850. It was a nice fit but the zippers were sewn in backwards. My wife had to remove them and correct it.

We happened to have a commercial machine so it was doable for us.

She is good but not perfect.

Doug
                    Everyone makes mistakes. My criteria for a business is how they deal with their mistakes. In my case it's a total and utter fail.

Comment

We have inquired regarding a couple of projects on several occassions. I cant comment on her work but her customer service leaves a bit to be desired. First it was next to impossible to speak with someone and none of my messages were returned. Two projects were standard and her prices were high compared to other shops (although within $50). The other was a bit of a speciality application however would have been easy (rectangular shape). She seemed disinterested in this because she did not have the patterns. Fortunately I found a guy who came to my boat measrued and installed at less money than Leta. And the canvas craftsmanship is of a high quality. Personally I will continue to keep my canvas work in the south sound.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Churchill Brothers in Everett and Anacortes. They're not the cheapest, but their workmanship is second to none.
                        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

VanHarper wrote:
                          We have inquired regarding a couple of projects on several occassions. I cant comment on her work but her customer service leaves a bit to be desired. First it was next to impossible to speak with someone and none of my messages were returned. Two projects were standard and her prices were high compared to other shops (although within $50). The other was a bit of a speciality application however would have been easy (rectangular shape). She seemed disinterested in this because she did not have the patterns. Fortunately I found a guy who came to my boat measrued and installed at less money than Leta. And the canvas craftsmanship is of a high quality. Personally I will continue to keep my canvas work in the south sound.
                          SomeSailor wrote:
                          I'm a huge fan of Churchill Brothers in Everett and Anacortes. They're not the cheapest, but their workmanship is second to none.
                          Mike

Your canvas looked great and Churchill does a really nice job. I've used King Marine canvas in Seattle and have been nothing but satisfied since I began using him in 1990 and Dave's prices are very reasonable. Put it this way. I live 5 minutes from Leta's shop and 15 from Churchill's.

Churchill's again is really nice, but Leta's quality is not half as good in my opinion and http://kingmarinecanvas.com/ wrote:
                          King's
                          is equal or better to Churchill's in quality at a better price.

Comment

She caters to a niche crowd: I have a Bayliner, I want my stock canvas replaced cheap.

Her canvas is two notches above stock. She uses Sunbrella or what you ask for, she has great mods for some models (2556 is notable)

If you want 24/7 canvas enclosures, you don't want Lita unless you live withing her wheelhouse.

If you want custom, look somewhere else, although when I visited her, she is perfectly willing to make mods to her existing patterns.

Don't diss her, ever. She caters to a huge market, and does an amazing job. She will re-sew any complaint, and is customer conscience.

If you want "custom" at OEM price, she isn't your ticket.

If you want OEM cheaper than the rest of the world and are willing to talk and discuss your thoughts on OEM and get a GREAT product at a BETTER THAN GREAT price, give her a shot.

Don't bitch her out for not giving you custom for (cheaper than) OEM prices.

FWIW
                            Tally and Vicki
                            "Wickus" Meridian 341
                            MMSI 338014939

Comment

Even Tony at Churchill's says similar Tally. Nothing bad about what she provides. Too many people think you can somehow get double-backed, double-stitched Sunbrella and high end vinyl for rock bottom prices, and it just doesn't work like that. She fills a niche market, and when I saw her work next to some high-end stuff, I opted to pay more. I'm sure Churchill was at least 25%- 50% more for the same type of canvas work, but he also spent several hours and many trips measuring, fitting, running options past me and getting everything the way I wanted it. When it comes to craftsmanship, you get what you pay for. I certainly am not trying to 'dis her though. Just speaking from the positive experience I had with a canvas shop in the area.
                              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Working...
                              X