Changing Out Microwave on 4588-gctid365485

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Out Microwave on 4588-gctid365485

I am trying to change out the microwave oven on my 1989 4588. It is held in by bolts above the microwave unit. Any one have an idea on how to access those bolts and the outlet that the microwave is plugged into?
    Nick Patterson
    1989 Bayliner 4588 Stockton, CA

I haven't tried to remove the microwave but plan to do that this summer. The outlet is in the cupboard above the refrigerator on the side of the box that encloses the microwave.

Comment

Randy, thanks for that. The microwave outlet on my boat is located in the air duct space above the cabinet over the refrigerator. The plug in side faces the microwave, all I can see is the back of the outlet box. The space I need to access is above the microwave. I was hoping there would be a access behind the bench seat in the pilothouse but I haven't found a way in, YET! I had installers from Home Depot here and they said "good luck".
      Nick Patterson

Comment

Rick:

Somebody gave me some advice on this project some years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was. Hopefully, they will chime in and give you the info you need to make the change out/repair you are interested in.

When I tried to do the same on my 45, it turned out to be such a nightmare that I ended up buying a table top microwave at Walmart for about $100 and placed it on a piece of non slip rubber on the galley/bar adjacent to the salon port window. The old one serves as a good storage space for dried goodsand I havn't had a slippage problem with the new one - even in some pretty choppy seas.

Hope to be on the boat this next Tues and if you want a picture of what I did let me know and I'll send you one.

Darby

Comment

go to the search and put in ,,4588 microwave,,it's been discussed in at least 10 threads over the years...
          84-38,,86-38,,89-45,,97-47,,99-47,,01-47,,05-540,, 04-411 meridian and 11 others,, all gone ,,now 04 -490 ,,sidney,,vancouver island.

Comment

The only access behind the microwave is to take out the map holder in the pilot house that is on the wall above the lounge seat. A couple of screws hold it in place.

Comment

The only access behind the microwave is to take out the map holder in the pilot house that is on the wall above the lounge seat. A couple of screws hold it in place. You can't see the microwave itself but you do have access to all of the cables and wiring that run around it. The cupboard above the refrigerator was removed by the PO so he could install a flat screen tv. I removed the tv and now you can see everything around the microwave box. If you are in the Seattle area you are welcome to come look this one over.

Comment

Thanks for all the great help. I have located the fasteners and will change it out this weekend. I would have never thought of looking behind the magazine (map) holder. This was my first post on this site and it is great to have all the help from other Bayliner owners! Thanks Again.

Nick Patterson

Adventure, Stockton, CA
                Nick Patterson

Comment

Did the microwave change out this weekend on the 4588. Real happy with the results. I ended up cutting out a small access hole in the pilothouse aft wall that is covered by the seat back cushion. This allowed me to reach the starboard bolt and the plug. I used the magazine rack access for the port side bolt. If anyone would like photos let me know. My email is [email protected]

Nick Patterson

Adventure, Stockton, CA
                  Nick Patterson

Comment

Working...
                  X