3888 fuel tank inspection hatch-gctid548390

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3888 fuel tank inspection hatch-gctid548390

I need to have my diesel tanks cleaned out and the contractor I talked to told me the best way to do it is to install a 4" access hatch in each tank. I was wondering has anyone done this and if so how. I would appreciate any pictures.

Thanks,

Pete
    1989 3888
    Hino 210's

I had this done to my 3870, I am not sure about the 3888 but the port stateroom under the mattress plywood needs to be removed, and you do need to have those access ports installed for better cleaning.

The tanks have dividers in them, the port needs to straddle the dividers.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I would think that the 38xx series were all constructed the same for the access hatches. Most of the differances in these model years were cosmetic.

Richard

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'm going down to the boat tomorrow to see what's involved with removing the plywood. I haven't been on the boat in 4 months, it's been a harsh winter.
        1989 3888
        Hino 210's

Comment

How can you tell where the dividers are from the outside?

Thanks!
          Geoff & Jen
          Shocking Lesson
          1986 3870
          Hino 175's

Comment

Tap on the tank, it will sound different.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I read that the fuel tanks are located port stateroom beneath the mattress. Can anyone give a bit more detail on exact location of tanks 3888 bayliner as i am having some difficulty locating them. Thank you.

Comment

On my 3888, I removed the fuel level senders and was able to remove fuel to virtually dry with my 2.5 gallon vacuum canister/pump... the bottom of the tanks follow the hull and every thing flowed to the aft rear corner where the sender hole is located.... FWIW.... might save you some money/work...

Comment

Blond, there are two tanks, port and starboard. On my 3818 I can see the end of them in front of the engines.

Pflat, I had my tank cleaned by a company called FuelCare in the Puget Sound area on my soon to be sold 2950 Encounter. They went in through the sending unit hole and did a great job. Whoever you end up with, have your fuel level low because the polishing is by the gallon.....up, my tank was full.

As to the comment from the contractor (not disagreeing with you Boat, just questioning the source) about installing the access being the "best" way to clean the tank, after watching the guys from FuelCare, I'm feeling suspect about that. Yeah, it might be easier and better for thier backs, but dragging thier hoses and equipment through the cabins into the guest stateroom; I don't feel good about that.

All this about the port tank, what about the starboard?
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                  MMSI 367770440
                  1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                  Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

You lift up the guest stateroom mattress, then lift the boards. As others have said, you can also see them both forward of the engines.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....l-tank-removal
                    Joel
                    1987 3818 Hino 175
                    "Knotty Girl"
                    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

On my 3870 i can access both Port and Starboard fuel tank guage sending holes from the small inspection hatch at the aft foot of the mid cabin berth. It is screwed on and only about 8" X 15" in size.

Remove the sending units and insert the hoses for fuel polishing.

All the polishing pumps, filters, etc stay on the dock and the two hoses were run through the ceiling hatch in the mid cabin head.
                      Allan
                      1986 - 3870
                      175 Hinos
                      Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

I had my 3870 tanks cleaned, the cleaner cut 1 hole in each tank at the low spot and installed 2 SS clean out ports, 6", that plywood comes off over the tanks, that way you can get a good visual of the tank bottom, but remember there are partitions in the tank when you install the ports.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"Smitty" post=790790 wrote:
                          On my 3870 i can access both Port and Starboard fuel tank guage sending holes from the small inspection hatch at the aft foot of the mid cabin berth. It is screwed on and only about 8" X 15" in size.

Remove the sending units and insert the hoses for fuel polishing.

All the polishing pumps, filters, etc stay on the dock and the two hoses were run through the ceiling hatch in the mid cabin head.
                          what portable polisher setup do you use?

Comment

It was a hired local fuel polishing company
                            Allan
                            1986 - 3870
                            175 Hinos
                            Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Kev, where are you? That may help some of us direct you to or away from a provider in your area. The equipment for polishing is really impressive. It's not large, about the size of a 55 gallon drum for the one I saw. Pumps to draw the fuel in and then push it through progressively finer filters the pump it into some holding drums. Then they used about three gallons as a pressure washer with some secret stuff in it, pumped that out, rinsed and put the cleaned fuel back in. Neat process if you are into that sort of thing. It took two guys four hours to do my 120 gallon tank that was full which doubled the cost.
                              P/C Pete
                              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                              1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                              MMSI 367770440
                              1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                              Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                              X