Spring is here-gctid365178

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring is here-gctid365178

Its been awesome weather here. Yesterday we hit 50 degrees down at the harbor. I got a wild hair up and polish and shined up all the teek in our boat, vacuumed the carpets and dusted things off.. The :arrCapt gets home Sunday from working out of town. SO.. hopefully all he will have to do is de-winterize things and off we go fishing and playing on our boat again.............got a question for 3888 owners.. our salon table has a horrible leg assembly. Everytime someone gets up from the table, if they lean on it, the bloody thing bout flips over.. and God hoping nothing is on it wet that can tip or your wearing it... what are our options for making the bloody thing more sturdy and kid proof of tipping:worth

Without a doubt, Bayliner missed the boat on designing this thing. We put an extra leg under the "pointy" end of the table. Helped a little.
    Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
    Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
    Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
    MMSI: 338030604

Comment

That is strange because our table on our 1987 38xx is very solid. I have never had it move even if I lean hard on it.

They must have different legs. Can you post a picture of the leg on yours?

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
        That is strange because our table on our 1987 38xx is very solid. I have never had it move even if I lean hard on it.

They must have different legs. Can you post a picture of the leg on yours?

Doug

here is the layout for the leg, its standard one I found.. however ours has the carpeting under it.. I saw pictures of someone who put a solid single leg on each side of it bolted into the flooring, instead of the one down the middle.. BUT since the table slides down to make more sleeping area if needed.. so dont know if we wanna loose that aspect of it.

Comment

For other 38xx owners... is that table the "standard" installation? Our 1986 3070 has a similar-looking table, but no feet at the bottom. The center post just goes into the floor. We have two separate end pieces that attach to the fore & aft ends if we want to make it bigger, and these pieces have legs that swing down to the floor for extra support. The main problem we have when the extensions are on is the table swiveling. Can't seem to get it locked up very well. It also will lower to provide additional sleeping area in the salon.

Comment

Scott wrote:
            For other 38xx owners... is that table the "standard" installation? Our 1986 3070 has a similar-looking table, but no feet at the bottom. The center post just goes into the floor. We have two separate end pieces that attach to the fore & aft ends if we want to make it bigger, and these pieces have legs that swing down to the floor for extra support. The main problem we have when the extensions are on is the table swiveling. Can't seem to get it locked up very well. It also will lower to provide additional sleeping area in the salon.
            yes, our table top will swivel in place too if not careful. I just want the bloody thing to stop tipping if its leaned on.. specially happens when someone he sitting on the port side of the table and trying to get up and away... our youngest has worn his milk several times and a cup-o-noodles (ouch).. I would love the 2 leg base.,.. anyone have a second identical base for sale..lol

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:

here is the layout for the leg, its standard one I found.. however ours has the carpeting under it.. I saw pictures of someone who put a solid single leg on each side of it bolted into the flooring, instead of the one down the middle.. BUT since the table slides down to make more sleeping area if needed.. so dont know if we wanna loose that aspect of it.
              Ours is the same and we have carpet under ours. No padding under it however and its rock solid. I showed this thread to my wife and she agrees ours is very solid.

We don't even tie it down when we move and we have been in some pretty severe rolls and the table stayed put.

Where is it tipping, the legs/feet? if so it has to be your carpet. Is it by chance loose in the mounting of the table to the leg?

If you think its the carpet put a temp piece of plywood under it and see if it corrects the problem.

Doug
              Started boating 1955
              Number of boats owned 32
              Bayliners
              3870 presently owned
              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                Ours is the same and we have carpet under ours. No padding under it however and its rock solid. I showed this thread to my wife and she agrees ours is very solid.

We don't even tie it down when we move and we have been in some pretty severe rolls and the table stayed put.

Where is it tipping, the legs/feet? if so it has to be your carpet. Is it by chance loose in the mounting of the table to the leg?

If you think its the carpet put a temp piece of plywood under it and see if it corrects the problem.

Doug
                I am sure its the corner areas on the window side of it.. I havent thought of the bracket connected to the table.. I will check tomorrow when we go down and play on it, I will have my youngest lean on it and see if it does it... since he is the main culprit one it tips for.. its an odd ball shaped table top to start with.. so the leg bracket isnt centered...I know its not the carpet.. I have checked under it and moved the table around in that area vacuuming under the feet..

Comment

Rinnybeth, we have what looks like the same adjustable leg under our odd shaped table, and "touch wood" no one has leant on it to upend the contents. We feel the value of being able to move it is very high. So for say coffee, its lowered, and highened for meals. When we do Cocktail Cruises, we stow it in the main stateroom. and that opens the space. In my mind having it fixed, would not be an improvement.

Cheers

Comment

Never Had any problem with salon table. Take a close look at the top of the stand where the table sits on. This table should not

pivot at all if the top mount is in the groves and the bracket is tight. We have used this table for 22 years and never had any problem.
                    Arizona Bob & Sandy
                    1990 3888 Bayliner
                    Purchased new
                    Twin 175 Hino's
                    630 Hurth Trans
                    Westerbeke Generator

Comment

Working...
                    X