Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 hp outboard question-gctid364602

Hello all,

We have an Avon RIB 3.10 10' 3" that we currently use with a 9.9 2 stroke Merc with a dolephin bolted to the cavitation plate to aid with planning. As our kids our getting older (12 and 15) we've lost our ability to get up on plane and so I am wondering if we upgrade to a 15 hp (2 stroke) if we could get the boat on plane with 4 "adults"? The boat does not have a steering wheel or any other extras other than a standard 6 gallon plastic tank that I usually hold 3-4 gallons in. It is rare that we are going very far with the 4 of us but I am considering if it is worth up grading

Thanks for the comments!

Trev

I doubt it. I have almost the same (10.5' Zodiac RIB w/ 15 HP Nissan) and won't plane with 4 adults, but it will with three. By myself, it's crazy fast!

Comment

I had a 15hp evinrude on my 11' Apex with helm seat. With 2 adults and two kids it will get up on plane...takes a bit but it does. Just swapped out for a 20hp Merc 4 stroke.
      Sean
      1987 3870
      Crimson Pride II
      Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
      MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Isn't it a very simple mod to the carb to make the 9.9 a 15 hp? I thought otherwise they were identical. That should make it easy to find out what 5 more hp will do.

Comment

Don Buxton wrote:
          I doubt it. I have almost the same (10.5' Zodiac RIB w/ 15 HP Nissan) and won't plane with 4 adults, but it will with three. By myself, it's crazy fast!
          That is my experience too. My Zodiac Yachtline 310 w/ a two-stroke Mercury 15hp flies w/ just me (it is faster than my boat) and plods along w/ four.

Comment

My Aquapro 11.5' aluminium RIB with a Yamaha 15HP 4-stroke would not plane with 4 adults. That was with a Doelfin. With proper Smart Tabs, it would plane. The Doelfin was of questionable value.

I sold the 15HP and put on a Yamaha 25HP 2-stroke. It really flies now.

Comment

Thank you all, this is about what I expected....tough to rationalize getting into a different motor for minimal results, but the again if I were rational I wouldn't own a boat:arr

Comment

I'm surprised by what I'm reading here. We have an 11' Flexboat, rigid bottom with a 15hp 2 stroke Merc that gets up on a plane pretty easily with 4 people. I don't particularly like the engine, but it sure seems to have enough power for our purposes.

Comment

http://www.maximarine.com/products/lifters/index.html

http://youtu.be/Zjhc4T7kExw

I was disappointed with my dinghy performance. Avon 10' RIB...

With 4.5 HP 2-stroke:
                  • No lifters, no planing (regardless of weight of person)
                  • With lifters, will easily plane w/ me (close to 185-90 lbs) :worth
                  • With lifters, will *almost* plane with 2 persons (370-380 lbs combined)

With 8 HP 2-stroke:
                  • With lifters, SCREAMS with just 1 person onboard nthego:
                  • With lifters, will easily plane with 2 adults (same 2 as above, haven't tried 3)

I read the testimonials, they all just rave about these things. I found them hard to believe, but for $120 bucks, thought it was worth a shot. The testimonials are NOT exaggerating! It's insane the improvement these things make. Another upside - less wake off plane and better control when I am cruising in the docks/no-wake zones...

IMO for $120 bucks, it's worth trying them out... Cheaper than re-power.

Comment

RAVEN SONG wrote:
                    Hello all,

We have an Avon RIB 3.10 10' 3" that we currently use with a 9.9 2 stroke Merc with a dolephin bolted to the cavitation plate to aid with planning. As our kids our getting older (12 and 15) we've lost our ability to get up on plane and so I am wondering if we upgrade to a 15 hp (2 stroke) if we could get the boat on plane with 4 "adults"? The boat does not have a steering wheel or any other extras other than a standard 6 gallon plastic tank that I usually hold 3-4 gallons in. It is rare that we are going very far with the 4 of us but I am considering if it is worth up grading

Thanks for the comments!

Trev
                    I have a similar sized dink that I use to run a merc 25 on. It ran like a cat on fire.

I have since added a helm so I could give you a good price on my old merc.
                    SoundDreams.org

Comment

I just purchased a West Marine RIB 310 by Zodiac, rated for a 15hp motor.

I got a crazy good deal on a brand new 20hp Mercury, which is 31 pounds heaver than the 9.9hp motor. I was a bit worried at first until I got out on it and wow what a perfect combo!

Most manufacturers under estimate max recommendations, probably because of liability issues not performance qualities?

The boat with two adults in it really runs like a dream. I can't wait to really put it to the "test".

I have now ordered the the lifts that were recommended on this thread and can't wait to install and test those.

One word somes it up - FUN!

Comment

HarleyDawg wrote:
                        http://www.maximarine.com/products/lifters/index.html

http://youtu.be/Zjhc4T7kExw

I was disappointed with my dinghy performance. Avon 10' RIB...

With 4.5 HP 2-stroke:
                        • No lifters, no planing (regardless of weight of person)
                        • With lifters, will easily plane w/ me (close to 185-90 lbs) :worth
                        • With lifters, will *almost* plane with 2 persons (370-380 lbs combined)

With 8 HP 2-stroke:
                        • With lifters, SCREAMS with just 1 person onboard nthego:
                        • With lifters, will easily plane with 2 adults (same 2 as above, haven't tried 3)

I read the testimonials, they all just rave about these things. I found them hard to believe, but for $120 bucks, thought it was worth a shot. The testimonials are NOT exaggerating! It's insane the improvement these things make. Another upside - less wake off plane and better control when I am cruising in the docks/no-wake zones...

IMO for $120 bucks, it's worth trying them out... Cheaper than re-power.
                        Great info, that is why I love this forum so much! By any chance are you aware of the performance with a 9.9 on an Avon 3.1 with 4 adults??

Thanks again!!

T

Comment

RAVEN SONG wrote:
                          Great info, that is why I love this forum so much! By any chance are you aware of the performance with a 9.9 on an Avon 3.1 with 4 adults??

Thanks again!!

T
                          I don't - but weather permitting, I'll see if I can round up a couple of extra people on the dock this weekend, and give my 8 HP a go with 4 people on board.

Comment

Sunnydude wrote:
                            I had a 15hp evinrude on my 11' Apex with helm seat. With 2 adults and two kids it will get up on plane...takes a bit but it does. Just swapped out for a 20hp Merc 4 stroke.
                            What did you do with the 15hp evinrude? was it a two stroke?

Comment

HarleyDawg wrote:
                              I don't - but weather permitting, I'll see if I can round up a couple of extra people on the dock this weekend, and give my 8 HP a go with 4 people on board.
                              I do not think the 8 hp is going to handle 4. I have an 8 hp Nissan four stroke and with me and my daughter it will plane, I am not a small guy so adding my wife to the mix makes the same as four and we can not get on plane.

We can get close but not quite there.

Comment

Working...
                              X