Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furuno v. Garmin-gctid364251

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Furuno v. Garmin-gctid364251

    Furuno NavNet VX2 1824C setup - with heading sensor, 18" Dome, few hours on the unit

    Garmin 740S Bundle with 18HD dome.

    Cost to me is nearly identical.

    The NavNet is bigger screen

    I will use mostly as a standalone radar, but understand that both have good charting systems built in.

    Either is likely to end up getting a depth transducer at a future point.

    I am unlikely to interface either to the autopilot so that isn't much concern but I think the Furuno is easier with my pilot.

    I know Garmin is well liked on this site but my hunch is that long term support and reliability is better on the Furuno.

    Which one would you buy?
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

    #2
    I would buy the Garmin in a heartbeat! Not only is Garmin expanding their presence in the marine radar market, the progress they have made in the short period since they've entered the market is very telling. First and foremost, the radar is compatible with most of Garmin's chartplotters. This is a huge plus -- since you will be able to easily interface other components and build your network in the future. For a fully built up network, it will cost less than a Navnet network. Also, Garmin's support has been very impressive. Every interaction I have had with their tech support staff was helpful. This has not been the case with Furuno. Their support needs a lot of help before it can become on par with Garmin.

    As far as reliability, both makes have a very good reputation. You're going to have a reliable product no matter which direction you go.

    Comment


      #3
      This is like a Chevy or Ford thing.

      I prefer the Furuno units, and have no other reason other than their long term reputation as a commercial grade product.

      I've owned Garmin gear and have nothing bad to say about it either.

      KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

      Whats the weather like on our boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide


      Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

      Comment


        #4
        kwb wrote:
        Furuno NavNet VX2 1824C setup - with heading sensor, 18" Dome, few hours on the unit

        Garmin 740S Bundle with 18HD dome.

        Cost to me is nearly identical.

        The NavNet is bigger screen

        I will use mostly as a standalone radar, but understand that both have good charting systems built in.

        Either is likely to end up getting a depth transducer at a future point.

        I am unlikely to interface either to the autopilot so that isn't much concern but I think the Furuno is easier with my pilot.

        I know Garmin is well liked on this site but my hunch is that long term support and reliability is better on the Furuno.

        Which one would you buy?
        Send me a PM for a good price on Garmin

        Comment


          #5
          ksanders wrote:


          I prefer the Furuno units, and have no other reason other than their long term reputation as a commercial grade product.
          This and garmin dropping support of products that are only a few yrs old have me lean that way.
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

          Comment


            #6
            I love my Furuno chart plotter.

            Comment


              #7
              I have a full Navnet3D system. I am very happy with it.

              I have received great support from Furuno.

              They helped me figure out a compatability issue between my Furuno gear and the optical position update of my ACR EPIRB. The Furuno MFD-12 had a higher GPS position sentence quality than my ACR E-PIRB could handle. ACR updated the software in my EPIRB at no charge resolving the issue.


              Jim McNeely
              New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
              Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
              Brighton, Michigan USA
              MMSI # 367393410

              Comment


                #8
                Please explain to me how your NavNe t3D interacts with your Epirb.

                What are the benefits of such interactivity / integration?

                Comment


                  #9
                  I like the big 3 (Garmion, Furuno, Raymarine)- given the choice you have, I'd go Furuno, as I thing they have the best customer service in the industry, NMEA compatibility, and great product support.

                  I still may pull the trgger on the Raymarine E7, though......

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Interesting thread.

                    I just went through this, but on a smaller scale. I ended up with Standard Horizon gear. I found I got equal bang as far as technology goes, but for a far better price. Kinda surprised they're not mentioned more...
                    ________________
                    1989 Bayliner 3270

                    Comment


                      #11
                      What surprises me is that there appears to be little or no enthusiasm amongst BOC members for using an Apple iPad or a similar device as a chartplotter.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        iPad (etc.) is a great back-up - but I'd never use it as my "main" chart plotter. It's extremely handy a a second device at the helm though - can be run at a different zoom etc. And my (droid) is the goto tool for scrolling ahead, or behind, or looking at this or that etc. while running. But it's always a "nice to have" - never a necessity.

                        In fact my main chart plotter is simply considered back-up to paper charts - which I have on the table all the time. Is still find myself going to look at them (a lot) as journey progresses...
                        ________________
                        1989 Bayliner 3270

                        Comment


                          #13
                          npyne wrote:
                          What surprises me is that there appears to be little or no enthusiasm amongst BOC members for using an Apple iPad or a similar device as a chartplotter.
                          If you read the original post - This is for a RADAR. Yes the units can do chartplotting but that isn't why I am looking, I am very happy with my Nav system I have today and there are very few stand alone radars left now that everything is a MFD.
                          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                          Nobody gets out alive.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            kwjennings wrote:
                            Please explain to me how your NavNe t3D interacts with your Epirb.

                            What are the benefits of such interactivity / integration?
                            I have the ACR iPRO EPIRB. It has an optical data link that is driven by the NMEA output of my Furuno MFD12. This optical data link is essentially an LED module that sits on the top of the EPIRB to flash thru the EPIRBs clear cover and update the EPIRB constantly with our position. Since my MFD12 is powering the LED and doing the GPS work virtually no power is being drawn from the EPIRB battery. If I had to activate the EPIRB or it went into the water it already has our position. Therefore there is zero lag time in transmitting our location. It then will acquire a new GPS fix itself and update the position it reports as it drifts.

                            Some EPIRB take a while to determine a position fix and transmit it once they have been activated manually or automatically. Depending on satellite positions and how well the EPIRB is seeing the satellites especially if it is in the water, this can take time. This transmitted position is updated over time as the EPIRB drifts.

                            Some EPIRB only send out a ping and it takes several satellite fixes for the Coast Guard to determine your location. This can take hours.

                            I added an EPIRB after those football players boat swamped and they were missing in the Gulf for days.

                            Basic EPIRB and personal locator beacons have come way down in price. It's a great safety device if you venture far from populated and busy areas.

                            A personal locator beacon is great for hiking and camping. Imagine being injured far from anyone. Flip a switch and the cavalry will be on it's way to you. They have saved lives and could save many more.
                            Jim McNeely
                            New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                            Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                            Brighton, Michigan USA
                            MMSI # 367393410

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Astral Blue wrote:
                              I would buy the Garmin in a heartbeat! Not only is Garmin expanding their presence in the marine radar market, the progress they have made in the short period since they've entered the market is very telling. First and foremost, the radar is compatible with most of Garmin's chartplotters. This is a huge plus -- since you will be able to easily interface other components and build your network in the future. For a fully built up network, it will cost less than a Navnet network. Also, Garmin's support has been very impressive. Every interaction I have had with their tech support staff was helpful. This has not been the case with Furuno. Their support needs a lot of help before it can become on par with Garmin.

                              As far as reliability, both makes have a very good reputation. You're going to have a reliable product no matter which direction you go.
                              I'm really surprised you had a problem with support from Furuno. I have had nothing but the best support from them on multiple occasions. The techs always answer the phone and they seem to support their products forever. When I first contacted them about my 2 different display units they sent me the display brackets for free and they even paid the shipping even though they knew full well it was a used unit I picked up on E-bay.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X