3288 water heater-gctid342578

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 water heater-gctid342578

Does the stock water heater have a adjustable thermostat? Our water is almost scalding and I would like to have to have it a bit cooler, but havent climbed way way back there to scope it out. I`m referring to electric operation only,,, ie moored at our marina. AC voltage input is hanging right around usual 120 vac.

I haven't ever seen a marine unit with a thermostat.

One of the benefits of the silly hot water is that you need less of it to make shower temp water.
    1989 3888
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

If you have an Atwood water heater, then it probably doesn't have a readily accessible thermostat, although there is a way to change the temperature - read on.

My brother was having just the opposite trouble with his RV (Atwood water heater) where he was only getting luke warm water out of the faucets. After doing some snooping around on the internet, we found that there is a "mixing valve" that controls the final temperature of the water. The valve is "pre-set" and mixes water from the hot water tank with cold water from the water tank (or utililty input) to achieve the pre-set temperature. The valve was located behind the water heater. Upon removal of the valve he found that it was clogged with mineral deposits which restricted the flow of water from the hot water tank so it was mixing more cold water than hot. The mixing valve had an adjustment knob that was glued in place with a spot of glue. Removing the glue allows you to change the final temperature.

Sounds like your situation may be something blocking the cold water mix. Don't know if this helps or not but thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck!
      Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
      Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
      Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
      MMSI: 338030604

Comment

No thermostat on my Seaward 11 gal heater. None on the previous 2 either. 1988 3218

Comment

I do not think mine has one and it is very hot. I do not mind I just warn people, and it also means I have hot water now and I am not wasting water waiting for it to heat up. Plus it stays hotter longer, when we are on in state parks without power and running the Honda that comes in handy.

Comment

There isn't one. I have been in to the heater to reseal the fittings. They go directly into the tank and there is no mixing valve between them. Ours was a scorcher also. Nice thing is that the small amount of water wasn't used up in washing the dishes or taking a shower as you would use more cold water than hot.
            Patrick and Patti
            4588 Pilothouse 1991
            12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
            M/V "Paloma"
            MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Ok thanks... I guess I will accept it as a benefit rather than a problem... Just thought it may be hotter than most but I guess it isnt.

Comment

It may not be adjustable, but there is definitely be a "high level" cutoff somewhere in the circuit. It may be internal to the element, but it will be there.

If you can't adjust it, use the cold water tap to balance the temp.

It won't get hot enough to "boil".

Comment

Another option is to install a thermostatic mixing valve:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...1f32d9_300.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X