in hull transducer installation - 1989 3888-gctid363652

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in hull transducer installation - 1989 3888-gctid363652

is this hull a cored hull? is there a location for mounting a shoot thru transducer? can i use a transom mount transducer bedded in slow epoxy as a shoot thru? thank you!

Hi I am interested in the same question, have been told it can be done

Comment

tom hoover wrote:
      is this hull a cored hull? is there a location for mounting a shoot thru transducer? can i use a transom mount transducer bedded in slow epoxy as a shoot thru? thank you!
      Check inside the keel, you should be able to sound it with a small hard plastic hammer, small ball pien hammer may work.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

tom hoover wrote:
        No.

Yes. The best location for the transducer is in the engine room, within a foot of the firewall, starboard side of the keel, inboard of the starboard stringer.

Yes, I've seen that work but you must test first using a plastic bag of water between the transducer and hull.

Why not choose a proper transducer?

Comment

pick a place to try for the transducer, get some putty or caulk and create a 'dam' (like you did with your mashed potatoes and gravy as a kid), put water in it, and set transducer in it....if it works, you're in the right place.

Ken

Comment

Put a thru-hull brass transducer in this winter.

Originally bought a in-hull but after reading about the epoxy (having to fill it with 2.4 ounces of anti-freeze) and if their is a void between your fiberglass you could get false readings I returned it and added a thru-hull transducer with speed, temperature and depth.

I hate as much as anyone drilling a hole in the boat but I took my time used 3M 4200 and it turned out pretty good. I'll see how good when it goes in the water :livid:

Steve

Comment

Last week I had a guy that installs electronics for a living come out a test an In-Hull transducer. Hooked up power to the unit, he used the water in a bag method that whiskeywizzard mentioned earlier.

He tried everywhere, even under the bottom step to the companionway. No go!

Couldnt get a reading anywhere.

Guess I will have to wait til I pull the the boat out.

Wish you luck!

Comment

Sloppy2 wrote:
                Last week I had a guy that installs electronics for a living come out a test an In-Hull transducer. Hooked up power to the unit, he used the water in a bag method that whiskeywizzard mentioned earlier.

He tried everywhere, even under the bottom step to the companionway. No go!

Couldnt get a reading anywhere.

Guess I will have to wait til I pull the the boat out.

Wish you luck!
                You will be much happier with a thru hull, be sure to buy a fairing for it, it greatly improves the performance, what model transducer are you buying? I have a couple of new fairings on hand, cheep.

Just aft of the engine fwd bulkhead is a good location to install a transducer, between the keel and engine stringer.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                  You will be much happier with a thru hull, be sure to buy a fairing for it, it greatly improves the performance, what model transducer are you buying? I have a couple of new fairings on hand, cheep.

Just aft of the engine fwd bulkhead is a good location to install a transducer, between the keel and engine stringer.
                  I will mention that to my electronics guy. He is trading the in-hull for a thru-hull for me!

Thanks for the suggestion on location for me!

Comment

Sloppy2 wrote:
                    Last week I had a guy that installs electronics for a living come out a test an In-Hull transducer. Hooked up power to the unit, he used the water in a bag method that whiskeywizzard mentioned earlier.He tried everywhere, even under the bottom step to the companionway. No go!Couldnt get a reading anywhere.Guess I will have to wait til I pull the the boat out.Wish you luck!
                    http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]Here are two photos of the hull material about 5' forward of the firewall and 2' away from the keel on a 1983 3270. There's also a photo of how you actually want to install a transducer.Good luck.
                    100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Working...
                    X