Raytheon radar array problem-gctid363651

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raytheon radar array problem-gctid363651

Ahoy all. I have a 1986 3870 equipped with a 2500 Raytheon Pathfinder radar unit of about the same vintage. The unit was originally installed in such a way that in order for the array to rotate the center panel on the back bridge enclosure had to be removed or at least dropped down. My problem is that someone decided to turn the unit on without knowing of the need to drop the panel. Now when i turn the unit on the array does not spin. If I turn the unit on and manually spin the array I get a good picture on the display. i believe my problem is either the motor or the drive system. Does anyone know if this unit is belt driven or gear driven. Raytheon was was not helpful only saying that parts are not available. I am confident that if it is a belt or a gear one can be found or made. If it is the motor I have the same confidence a replacement can be matched up that although not original would do the job.

That Radar is so old that the magnetron has probably lost most of its usefulness. The new radar systems are so much better that if you really use radar it would be much smarter to replace it with a new system.

Comment

Open up the scanner and look at the motor and gear, could be a gear or belt spinning on the shaft, only original parts will work, not worth repacing expensive parts, ebay has scanners, write down the scanner model number and search. Lots of older radars on ebay, be sure thay are tested or garanteed to function properly.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have the same radar and mine was inopp as well. I searched E-bay and found a working unit for sale and negotiated the price down to $100. They shipped it and I am in the process of installing now. i have the manual and it has the wiring diagram. I tried to upload it here but the PDF is too large. If you want a copy I can e-mail it. i'll let you know the results as soon as I am finished..

PS, be very careful with the radar dome open and unit powered on, it creates a ton of radiation the manual says do not ever open the dome with the unit powered on....

Comment

Doesn't the array pedastle flop open after loosening four retained bolts? On my 2000 open array and my 2003 open array both opened that way to reveal the internal toothed belt drive mechanism and pulleys.

Comment

Brian - Thanks for the heads up about opening while the unit is on. I look forward to hearing your results. Steve

Comment

Are you sure no one turned off the service switch on the pedistal?

Comment

Working...
              X